Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by ShowMeKC »

We don't really need the stadiums to be in Downtown itself. We could just have them somewhere like near the riverfront or the West Bottoms, however they need to be much closer to downtown than they are now.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown ballpark and condos

Post by Mhudson »

ShowMeKC wrote: We don't really need the stadiums to be in Downtown itself. We could just have them somewhere like near the riverfront or the West Bottoms, however they need to be much closer to downtown than they are now.
Its funny to me that west bottoms gets brought up around the same time people are complaining about Kemper.  I hear so many people complaining that Kemper shouldn't have been built down there, how would building a ballpark down there be any better?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I can't wait for that saying to grow old.
Wait no more.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ShowMeKC wrote: We don't really need the stadiums to be in Downtown itself. We could just have them somewhere like near the riverfront or the West Bottoms, however they need to be much closer to downtown than they are now.
Putting a baseball stadium in the West Bottoms would be no different from a practical standpoint of having it in eastern Jackson County.  People would drive there, attend a game, and drive home.  No different than Kemper.  If a baseball stadium moves into the urban core (and we can forget about that for another 25 years now), it needs to be within walking distance of whatever existing entertainment districts there are at the time.  Football is a no go downtown or anywhere near a working pedestrian district.  Football stadiums are essentially black holes 358 days out of every year.  Of course, being 25 years away, things could change but I suggest we wait until it becomes even a possibility before getting too attached to any one location.    
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Mhudson wrote: Its funny to me that west bottoms gets brought up around the same time people are complaining about Kemper.  I hear so many people complaining that Kemper shouldn't have been built down there, how would building a ballpark down there be any better?
Better yet - Imagine how much worse Kemper would be if it was located out at TSC or someother equally remote and hopeless locale.  Its not that the Bottoms are ideal - just better than 435/70.    Golden Ox > Dennys.  
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote:  If a baseball stadium moves into the urban core (and we can forget about that for another 25 years now), it needs to be within walking distance of whatever existing entertainment districts there are at the time.  
And that is why, in the past, I have said that if people want a downtown stadium they should plan for it NOW.  Identify a location, secure the land in some manner, and be ready for funding, contracting, and construction so that it can be ready when the TSC lease expires.

It not that everything has to be completed ASAP.  Take a few years to identify where the best, or two or three best, locations would be.  So instead of trying to do everything in a span of one year, for once, the city can plan ahead and do it right.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And that is why, in the past, I have said that if people want a downtown stadium they should plan for it NOW.  Identify a location, secure the land in some manner, and be ready for funding, contracting, and construction so that it can be ready when the TSC lease expires.

It not that everything has to be completed ASAP.  Take a few years to identify where the best, or two or three best, locations would be.  So instead of trying to do everything in a span of one year, for once, the city can plan ahead and do it right.
I think if you were talking about a 5 year time frame, that would be fine.  If you are talking about 25 years, especially when the existing facility is still undergoing renovations, it would be a very tough sell to say the least.  First of all, you really do not want to tie up that kind of land for that period time in an area that looks to be some of the top real estate in the city.  Second, twenty-five years from now, the real estate scene could change dramatically.  I realize what you are getting at with the ever-increasing cost of land but, unfortunately, it's a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation.  At best, the city could donate land as a park with the intention of using it later as a stadium but 20 years later, you'd get those who would say it's a travesty to destroy the park.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Not to mention that it is going to be a bit difficult to fund/finance land acquisition for a project that might happen in 25 years.  First the politicians would have to be willing to invest in something that won't see any payout until long past their retirment - yeah right.  Second, how are you going to finance it? 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

No.  The point is not that the process has to start today but that those interested in the project should keep the item in the public mind and discuss where the likely location should be.  I don't forsee the actual location identified and purchased for at least 10 to 15 years.  The latest discusssion of a downtown stadium started way too late in the process.  The talk should have started at least 5 years before it did.

And who says the stadium has to be a stand alone project or that it is initially a government investment.  Make it part of a larger redevelopment package and build most of that package before the stadium.  There are many ways to do it and do it correctly.  Kansas City learned the way not to do it.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

kinda glad , now , no DT stadiums with the two teams perfomances, it would be a constant visual reminder of them.  With SportsComplex location, its outta sight, outta mind, at least for me anyway!
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by MidWestSider »

One of the most polarizing topics in KC appears to be back??

bizjournals POLL
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stad

Post by chaglang »

The poll should have began: "If you trust the Royals not to go back into the tank and if you trust the city not to screw themselves on the financing..."

I could absolutely see the Royals saying that if they're forced to pay more than some nominal amount for a new stadium, it would mean they would have to cut payroll drastically. And then the city would be on the hook for somewhere around $500m.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

No, at least not until it is time to renovate again. Unless Glass is paying for it, which, lol.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

why? we have a like new stdium. Plus stadiums do very little for development. lets get downtown built. That said, west bottoms would be a great place for the stadium.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I would start building today if there were a plan in place. Kauffman is a nice stadium, but most of the recent upgrades were designed for little kids who do not care about baseball. Other than a few late season tailgates, there is absolutely no reason to have the stadium exist inside a massive suckhole of parking. I could care less if it is more convenient for someone who lives in South OP. They chose to live there because they are fine driving 45 minutes to get almost anywhere. In my opinion, a downtown stadium with a team that plays 81 games a year would be a gigantic puzzle piece inserted into an area trying to differentiate itself from a Sprint campus or a Corporate Woods. Getaway games downtown would really elevate the entire city in my eyes. I can only imagine the number of younger people who would be interested in living near the baseball stadium downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

put the stadium INSIDE a new airport terminal connected to downtown only via trolleys. BOOM!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote:put the stadium INSIDE a new airport terminal connected to downtown only via trolleys. BOOM!
Heh.

Yea, I can't see any appetite for this any time soon. Also, people were raving about how great the K looked on TV and in person for the World Series. Its becoming one of the oldest stadiums in the league and still looks good. Before you know it, people will be citing "historic preservation" status for it.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Before you know it, people will be citing "historic preservation" status for it.
Let's see. Some want to basically do away with Royals Stadium but want to save Kemper. Kinda confusing.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Before you know it, people will be citing "historic preservation" status for it.
Let's see. Some want to basically do away with Royals Stadium but want to save Kemper. Kinda confusing.
1. Kemper is already downtown (yes, I consider the WB to be downtown).
2. All of the Kemper plans currently call for building/renovations in the same location.
3. I bet most of the dowtown baseball stadium supporters (like me) would not support a demo of Kauffman if the two options were to rebuild in the same location or to renovate.

In that sense, there is no difference. I would not support a demo of Kauffman so that the Glass family could rebuild (with taxpayer funding) even more of a non-connected circus. The basic interior of Kauffman is beautiful, but I do find incredible fault in its detachment from the city. That, to me, is one of the best things about the best stadiums in baseball.

I feel like people generally enjoy the location of Kemper but aren't enthusiastic about a plan put together by millionaires who want to (seemingly) ride roughshod over everyone else. We (the city) actually own Kemper.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Your mind will be blown with this idea

Build a stadium and cap the loop at the same time. No, not 670, the north side

7th to Indep, Delaware to Wyandotte

Then you build the parking next to it, also over i70.