Sprint Center parking (from Renovations thread)

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote:
He's lying.  I went to a game there and there are indeed, parking structures very close by.  If you don't believe me, just ask how the Ravens football stadium (basically next door) can accomodate crowds of 70K w/o ample parking.

Why am I even responding to this?
Are they owned by the team? I've been to a few O's game. I can't recall if there is a stadium for the garage or no - I never parked in it because there are $5 private lots within an easy walk of the stadium.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: Busch Stadium II doesn't have dedicated parking does it? Do any of St. Louis' downtown arenas have dedicated parking? Seems like the Midwestern yokels in St. Louis figured it out, I don't see why us hayseeds in Kansas City couldn't.
Busch has a gargantuan parking garage next to it that is used for games.  there are other parking options in the area as well.

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Tosspot wrote: It'll do the citizenry's cellulite some good to actually walk two or three blocks.
Agreed. I'm also not disputing that the reality is that there's plenty of parking near the SC. But this is one of those examples of where perception is more important than reality: If downtown parking near the SC is perceived to be in short supply, why wouldn't AEG or someone else look to turn that perception into a business opportunity by building a garage next door? (Assuming that one isn't already planned or there.) There's money to be made by capitalizing on a perception even when it doesn't reflect reality.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hell, if there are enough suckers willing to pay $35 so they don't have to waddle their fat ass three blocks,  I would think any team would want to be in on that action. 
Exactly my point.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

KC0KEK wrote: So they're using public parking nearby? If so, and if you owned that facility and/or the team, wouldn't you want to try to get a share of the parking revenue by building a garage?
That's actually a pretty fair point.  Maybe the answer is one of two things.

1).  The choice had to be made between building a parking structure connected to the Sprint Center or building the College Basketball HOF,

or

2).  The local (meaning within a block or two of the arena) market for parking is already so oversaturated that it wouldn't have been profitable to build an attached garage.  It's funny how smart people who invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a civic project can be about economics stuff like that...
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCMax wrote: Do any of St. Louis' downtown arenas have dedicated parking?
I'm almost positive that Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade does. As I recall, it's even attached to the arena.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I guess it becomes a question of what "dedicated' means - out of the five adjacent blocks to the sprint center, all five of them will have parking available in various quantities. 
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

kcdcchef wrote: my god you are such a joke, so ignorant it is funny.

get out of your dumbass suburban mindset. not every structure needs its own parking. downtown has tens of thousands of parking spots. very few buildings in downtown kansas city, or any downtown in america, have their own parking.

new york city has no parking garage specifically for madison square garden. guess they are wrong too fumes.

are you allergic to parking your car at the town pavilion garage, or just too lazy? stay in buckner and see your tractor pull there.
I'm glad you actually work nights. Thank you God
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Maitre D wrote:
He's lying.  I went to a game there and there are indeed, parking structures very close by.  If you don't believe me, just ask how the Ravens football stadium (basically next door) can accomodate crowds of 70K w/o ample parking.

Why am I even responding to this?
show me one single dedicated parking structure to m&t stadium or oriole park. none. many large ones nearby, dippy, just like town pavilion garage, along with many, many, MANY MANY MANY others nearby sprint center.
Paintfumes wrote: I'm glad you actually work nights. Thank you God
what do you do at nite besides look at baby pictures and post pictures of strangers wives to your photobucket?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

this is going to be so humiliating when they get everything done downtown with the P and L District. That there will be no parking. Once again lets thank the planning department for there well thought out plans. The cities kcdcchef announce are bigger than little Kansas City.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Sprint Center parking (from Renovations thread)

Post by KCPowercat »

KC0KEK wrote: If the SC doesn't have a dedicated garage next door, that seems like a wasted opportunity. Lots of people would pay a premium for that proximity. (As I recall, Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade has one attached, as do a few other newer arenas.) Sure, there are plenty of places nearby to park, but why would the SC's owners not try to capture that revenue?
Right across the street is a 5 story underground garage...dedicated to events at the sprint center and P&L district....(H&R employee parking during the day).  Just to the north is an 8 story garage that will be used.

Please God, no more parking garages.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Paintfumes wrote: this is going to be so humiliating when they get everything done downtown with the P and L District. That there will be no parking. Once again lets thank the planning department for there well thought out plans. The cities kcdcchef announce are bigger than little Kansas City.
you are an idiot. baltimore is HARDLY so much more huge then kansas city. or cleveland, where, there are NO dedicated garages near the jake or browns stadium. pittsburgh has ONE dedicated garage, less then 1000 spots, and ONLY built it because it was part of the all star game festivities deal.

what you know about ANYTHING equals jackshit.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

chrizow wrote: Busch has a gargantuan parking garage next to it that is used for games.  there are other parking options in the area as well.

Can we at least use a current map here. Bush II no longer exists Bush III has been done for a year now.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

most of those "Ps" are still valid and indicate parking for Busch III.  there is a LOT of parking within a couple of blocks of the stadium, just like there is a LOT of parking within a few blocks of the Sprint Center.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: most of those "Ps" are still valid and indicate parking for Busch III.  there is a LOT of parking within a couple of blocks of the stadium, just like there is a LOT of parking within a few blocks of the Sprint Center.

But it's a little easier to walk outside when it's between April and September.

Not so much when there's a howling 25mph wind on a freezing January nite, as you walk into Hall & Oates Reunion at SC.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote:
But it's a little easier to walk outside when it's between April and September.

Not so much when there's a howling 25mph wind on a freezing January nite, as you walk into Hall & Oates Reunion at SC.
Not a problem - if anyone ever managed to force me to a Hall & Oates Reunion concert, you can bet your ass I will be wasted enough not to hear the music, let alone feel the chill.  :lol:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Maitre D wrote: Not so much when there's a howling 25mph wind on a freezing January nite, as you walk into Hall & Oates Reunion at SC.
i'm not sure i am worried about someone who refuses to walk 2-3 blocks on a winter evening.  people seem to think it's okay to walk such distances on the plaza or a lowe's parking lot in belton.  short of a covered skywalk connecting the parking garage to the inside of the arena, this is as good as it can get.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

how about a tunnel under grand from the p&l garage to Sprint Center...and maybe even one extending on to the Town Center garage?  Is that connected enough?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I don't think we need tunnels or skywalks.  They just lead to less vibrancy on the street which is the last thing downtown needs.  We need all the people we can get walking around.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

exactly - and if an event attracts the sort of crowd that doesn't want to walk accross the street in the rain or cold - there is always valet.  The high-maintenance chumps will like that better than a tunnel anyway.