NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by warwickland »

FYI i had a dream last night that the NHL and the NBA came to KC at the same time.

true story.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Top NHL players list preferred expansion cities
USA TODAY Sports surveyed 28 higher-profile players during last week's NHL media tour in New York, and 20 listed Seattle as one of their top two expansion choices and 19 mentioned Quebec.

Seven players had Las Vegas listed among their top choices, and three liked the idea of placing a second team in the Toronto area. Oklahoma City and Madison, Wis., also received votes.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Las Vegas picks owners for the NHL team it does not yet have.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/12/nhl-picks- ... egas-team/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

It saddens me that KC isn't even in the discussion re: NHL expansion at this time. Would be great to see a local ownership group step forward. I firmly believe we could reasonably support a 3rd pro sport (or, I guess, 4th including SKC), be it NBA or NHL, particularly with that team having the benefit of being the only major-league sporting event downtown.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

a ranking in sports illustrated in late august for nhl expansion.

unfortunately kc is dead last.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/28/rankin ... on-options
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LCDSI wrote:a ranking in sports illustrated in late august for nhl expansion.

"KC ranked among NHL expansion candidates."
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LCDSI wrote:a ranking in sports illustrated in late august for nhl expansion.

Then as now, K.C.'s candidacy seems based more on it simply being there than on any great demand in the area for a franchise. It seems destined to serve primarily as a relocation threat rather than as a legitimate expansion option.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Question: Which is more valuable to a city, an NHL franchise or an MLS franchise?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

beautyfromashes wrote:Question: Which is more valuable to a city, an NHL franchise or an MLS franchise?
NHL has about twice as many regular season home games as MLS (17 for MLS and 42 for NHL) and league-wide averages in attendance are a couple thousand less in NHL per game (19k for MLS and 17k for NHL). So 323,000 fans visit the average MLS park per year and 714,000 visit an average NHL arena. For KC specifically, I'd think locations would greatly factor into the value to the city as well. Question would depend on if you're asking about KCK or KCMO of course.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Don't you think MLS has a larger growth opportunity? I'm just thinking I'd rather have a MLS franchise right now for KC as it seems to really be taking off and represents a younger, more energetic demographic.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

There's a number of interesting data points in the Forbes and attendance numbers.

The ratio between an NHL team's average revenue and an MLS team's average revenue is $88 mil/$26 mil = 3.36
The ratio between an NHL team's average attendance and an MLS team's average attendance is 714K/323K = 2.21
The ratio between an NHL team's average valuation and an MLS team's average valuation is $413 mil/$103 mil = 4.01

Overall, I'd say that MLS franchises are currently undervalued compared to NHL franchises.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Not really arguing for or against one over the other. BUT I'm pretty ignorant on all things MLS. I also grew up playing hockey and would love a NHL team, but am concerned it wouldn't get support in KC to have long term success. Just trying to get somewhat objective about "value to the city" which I think is an interesting question. I'm thinking value as economic benefit, but there are other values sports teams bring. The Royals obviously had more "value" both economically and emotionally for KC this year than any of the other 15 years I've lived here. I'm just saying it's hard to argue that a potential 714,000 people visiting downtown (Sprint Center) for NHL games wouldn't be a huge economic boost. My value is in KCMO. MLS adds far less value to KCMO other than the some merchandise sales tax, PnL watch parties and some 1% tax on players' salaries that live on this side of the state line. Otherwise Sporting KC's impact is mostly in KCK. I'm probably a lot I'm not thinking about though. And yes, MLS will grow far more than NHL in the next 15 years, just not sure what that means for KC versus the MLS expansion cities. I'm just rambling now....
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

droopy wrote:Not really arguing for or against one over the other. BUT I'm pretty ignorant on all things MLS. I also grew up playing hockey and would love a NHL team, but am concerned it wouldn't get support in KC to have long term success. Just trying to get somewhat objective about "value to the city" which I think is an interesting question. I'm thinking value as economic benefit, but there are other values sports teams bring. The Royals obviously had more "value" both economically and emotionally for KC this year than any of the other 15 years I've lived here. I'm just saying it's hard to argue that a potential 714,000 people visiting downtown (Sprint Center) for NHL games wouldn't be a huge economic boost. My value is in KCMO. MLS adds far less value to KCMO other than the some merchandise sales tax, PnL watch parties and some 1% tax on players' salaries that live on this side of the state line. Otherwise Sporting KC's impact is mostly in KCK. I'm probably a lot I'm not thinking about though. And yes, MLS will grow far more than NHL in the next 15 years, just not sure what that means for KC versus the MLS expansion cities. I'm just rambling now....
I don't have a horse in this race, but when you're figuring out the "KCMO" value, you should factor in that Sporting moved their corporate headquarters to downtown KCMO. They should also get some credit for any economic impact via the soccer complex at Swope.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

WSPanic wrote: I don't have a horse in this race, but when you're figuring out the "KCMO" value, you should factor in that Sporting moved their corporate headquarters to downtown KCMO. They should also get some credit for any economic impact via the soccer complex at Swope.

Both excellent points. I should have remembered both since I work very near their HQ and my kids play at Swope. #-o Like I said, ramblings after a long Monday and I'm sure there is even more. Never meant to trivialize their community impact.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Listing the loss of the Scouts almost 40 years ago as a 'con' is getting absurd. And I just can't see hockey working in Las Vegas - seems more of an NBA city, and if the NBA were to go to Vegas there's no way the NHL should move in.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcjak wrote:Listing the loss of the Scouts almost 40 years ago as a 'con' is getting absurd. And I just can't see hockey working in Las Vegas - seems more of an NBA city, and if the NBA were to go to Vegas there's no way the NHL should move in.
Especially since the last two of the last four NHL franchises to relocate moved to cities that had previously lost franchises (Denver and Winnipeg) and two expansion teams went to cities that lost a franchise (Minneapolis and Atlanta, which has already moved).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WSPanic wrote:... should factor in that Sporting moved their corporate headquarters to downtown KCMO. They should also get some credit for any economic impact via the soccer complex at Swope.
I hate when people even talk about that. Sporting being in downtown is the scraps from the Cerner table. As big a company as they are, they've done nothing to continue the progress of the urban core. Follow the jobs.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

beautyfromashes wrote:
WSPanic wrote:... should factor in that Sporting moved their corporate headquarters to downtown KCMO. They should also get some credit for any economic impact via the soccer complex at Swope.
I hate when people even talk about that. Sporting being in downtown is the scraps from the Cerner table. As big a company as they are, they've done nothing to continue the progress of the urban core. Follow the jobs.
Didn't they try to stop the hotel from being built next door due to encroachment on their view, or am I mixing up stories?