NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by mgsports »

Columbia doesn't have a Arena a Team can play in just Baseball Field. Springfield,MO maybe? OKC/KC/St. Louis no WNBA team but Tulsa has one. KC has Minor League Hockey and also T-Bones.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Columbia doesn't have a Arena a Team can play in just Baseball Field.
Um.... Columbia has an arena 80% the size of the Sprint Center. It's named Mizzou Arena.

In this hypothetical this team wouldn't be the first pro team to share a college facility. The LA Rams share a stadium with USC right now.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I think the St. Louis arena is changing naming sponsors to Enterprise.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
mgsports wrote:Columbia doesn't have a Arena a Team can play in just Baseball Field.
Um.... Columbia has an arena 80% the size of the Sprint Center. It's named Mizzou Arena.

In this hypothetical this team wouldn't be the first pro team to share a college facility. The LA Rams share a stadium with USC right now.
:-$
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Football is different then NBA and USC is in LA.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

earthling wrote:Sharing a MO NBA team could address NHL overlap at STL arena. And investors (edit: as well as larger fan base) from both markets could reduce risk. And could help build KC/STL relationships.
For a few seasons the Kings had home games both in KC and Omaha. Not conductive at all for the team as a whole. For the Kings players Omaha felt like a road game.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
earthling wrote:Sharing a MO NBA team could address NHL overlap at STL arena. And investors (edit: as well as larger fan base) from both markets could reduce risk. And could help build KC/STL relationships.
For a few seasons the Kings had home games both in KC and Omaha. Not conductive at all for the team as a whole. For the Kings players Omaha felt like a road game.
Actually the players were great to Omaha. I was in middle and high school then and my friends & I saw quite a few players around town. No it wasn't the best arrangement but the Kings drew very well in Omaha.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Nobody asked Daily or Bettman about KC yesterday maybe somebody ask Silver.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

SingleMalt12 wrote:
Actually the players were great to Omaha. I was in middle and high school then and my friends & I saw quite a few players around town. No it wasn't the best arrangement but the Kings drew very well in Omaha.
Point was they had to travel to Omaha in order to play a home game and after the game travel back home. They may have loved Omaha and Omaha loved them but if the players had a preference they would have loved to have all of their games in KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

SingleMalt12 wrote:
I thought the Kings drew terribly in Omaha which is why they quickly stopped playing there. I don't think any other city will ever try to share a sports team again. It doesn't work. Why would two totally different towns want to share a sports franchise?

KC needs an NBA or NHL team. I still think the city would go nuts over a team that played downtown. People are looking for reasons to visit downtown now. Especially a team that mostly plays during the winter when there is not much else going on.

Hopefully it's the NHL. I have been in Nashville and Tampa recently and it's pretty cool what their NHL teams have done for those cities which are similar in size to KC.

Go Caps! DC is going nuts right now. It's been a while since they have had any team go this far in the playoffs. I know I have really enjoyed going to NHL games since moving here and still hope KC gets a teams someday.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Las Vegas made to Cup in first year.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

NBA all the way....not a hockey fan, never have been.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Silver says Expansion is not happening.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Hockey would be a great fit in KC. If seeing what has happened in Vegas doesn't energize and excite, then you probably don't have a pulse.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The Vegas thing does nothing to convince that the NHL is a quality product that I would pay top dollar to see. It just makes me think that a properly funded group of players that other teams didn't want can compete at any level.

I'm clearly not their target audience.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

That's ok. There are a lot of people that just don't get it. But, Greater KC would absolutely eat the NHL experience up, though.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I agree with that. If they win. Not Vegas-level the first year, but early and somewhat sustained.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote:I think in the next decade there will be a rush to DT for KC teams. The core is growing so much that capturing that market and showing a young, vibrant product in a cool area of town will be a can’t-miss. Royals, NBA and maybe even SKC or NHL should move quick to be first in. Those that stick with their original, suburban locations could be hurt in the long run.
The sporting KC stadium is used heavily by Center who has offices near it. Sporting would probably only move downtown if the build a large office building there as well.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

That would not be the worst thing in the world
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It's Cerner and no place in Downtown for a Soccer Stadium.