NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by Hull-Os »

I would assume they would be closer to landing a deal with the NHL since there are so many teams looking to relocate within the next year or two.
Name more than one.

If you can find an NHL team other than Pittsburgh that may relocate, post a link to a story about it.

The following NBA teams are condering leaving their current building: Portland, Seattle, New Jersey, Orlando, New Orleans and Sacremento.

Here's a link to a story about the six NBA teams that may relocate. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/ ... id=2369318

Now, the Atlanta Hawks may be changing ownership and the Milwaukee Bucks could be on that list, too, if their owner, Wisconsin senator Herb Kohl, sells the team to someone who would move them out of Milwaukee.

The bottom line is that the NBA is in a much greater state of flux than the NHL thanks to the NHL's new CBA.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MidWestSider wrote: FAVORITE SPORTS STAR – TOP 10 RANKING

Harris Poll

Hello, Hockey are you down here??
Hey they got over 600,000 TV viewers to watch their championship!

Oh I love hockey, I just would prefer the NBA.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Hull-Os wrote: The following NBA teams are condering leaving their current building: Portland, Seattle, New Jersey, Orlando, New Orleans and Sacremento.
I want the Kings back!!!  That way, we can have the Chiefs, Royals, and Kings.  But, I'd be more than happy to take one from another city.
KC is the way to be!
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

i just want an NBA team for the cool uniforms.  :lol:
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't want the NBA, or its above-the-law players in Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm not alleging that they are saints. Did I say that?
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

KC Max's examples are:

Dany Heatley from 2003

Mike Danton's situation, which is really unique because Danton didn't actually harm anyone, just tried to hire someone to do so. I've talked to a few people that knew Danton when he played in St. Louis. Dude is not all there. As a matter of fact, he's had three different names, Mike Danton, Danton Cole and Mike Jefferson, I believe.

Rick Tocchet's gambling problem. Tocchet hasn't played since 2002.

Marty McSorley from FIVE YEARS AGO.

And, Bob Probert who hasn't played since 2002.

Keep trying, Max. Those were lousy examples.

Got anything from 2006?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I haven't heard any NBA players in trouble with the law in 2006 either. There are bad apples in every league. The NHL and NBA aren't any worse than the NFL or MLB and I don't know why that would or should be a consideration for which league you would prefer in Kansas City.

We certainly have one existing franchise here that can't keep its players out of trouble, and they are the most popular team we have.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: There are bad apples in every league. The NHL and NBA aren't any worse than the NFL or MLB and I don't know why that would or should be a consideration for which league you would prefer in Kansas City.
Because it's more important than the quality of the sport?  :?

KCMax wrote: We certainly have one existing franchise here that can't keep its players out of trouble, and they are the most popular team we have.
Gee...I wonder which team you're talking about?  Hmm....  I can't imagine anything like that in Kansas City...
KC is the way to be!
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

I haven't heard any NBA players in trouble with the law in 2006 either.
Really?

So, Gilbert Arenas and Awvee Story don't count. http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20060531 ... -5928r.htm

Nor, does J.R. Rider (hey, you brought up three guys who are no longer playing in the NHL)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 143S84.DTL

Cool. Just want to know the rules, here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I've never heard of Awvee Story and J.R. Rider hasn't played in awhile. Gilbert Arenas doesn't count. That was stipulated in the Marques Rules of NBA/NHL Debate Rules.

There are thugs in every sport. I think the NBA gets more of a bad rap because (1) you actually see the players without a mask or cap covering their face and (2) the players tend to be of a certain race that already gets a bad rap in this country. The NHL and NBA both have some really great players too and its them and the quality of competition that should matter, not what the players do off the playing surface.

SouthKC1985
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SouthKC1985 »

KCMax wrote: There are thugs in every sport. I think the NBA gets more of a bad rap because (1) you actually see the players without a mask or cap covering their face and (2) the players tend to be of a certain race that already gets a bad rap in this country. The NHL and NBA both have some really great players too and its them and the quality of competition that should matter, not what the players do off the playing surface.
Couldn't agree with #2 more... Anyway, NBA wins my vote by a long shot. A couple of reasons... personally, I think it's more exciting to watch. That's a personal reason and my opinion and no one has to agree with it. But also, if you think about it, this region of the country is chunked full of hockey teams in most major cities. Minneapolis/St. Paul has one, Chicago has one, St. Louis has one, Dallas has one, Denver has one, and Kansas City does not. As for the NBA, the region is almost full with Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, and Denver having a team. Neither Kansas City or St. Louis does. However, there is a void between Minneapolis and Dallas if you're going east/west and Denver and heck, Cleveland. Make the St. Louis residents buy season tickets to see our NBA team. We go and see their NHL team, give them something to come to us for other than a weekend series at the K for a Cardinal sweeping of the Royals where there is probably more red than blue in the stands
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

SouthKC1985 wrote: Couldn't agree with #2 more... Anyway, NBA wins my vote by a long shot. A couple of reasons... personally, I think it's more exciting to watch. That's a personal reason and my opinion and no one has to agree with it. But also, if you think about it, this region of the country is chunked full of hockey teams in most major cities. Minneapolis/St. Paul has one, Chicago has one, St. Louis has one, Dallas has one, Denver has one, and Kansas City does not. As for the NBA, the region is almost full with Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, and Denver having a team. Neither Kansas City or St. Louis does. However, there is a void between Minneapolis and Dallas if you're going east/west and Denver and heck, Cleveland. Make the St. Louis residents buy season tickets to see our NBA team. We go and see their NHL team, give them something to come to us for other than a weekend series at the K for a Cardinal sweeping of the Royals where there is probably more red than blue in the stands
I couldn't agree with that more!  I know lots of people here in KC go support the St. Louis Blues.  So, I think that if KC got an NBA team, people from St. Louis would would come here to see Missouri's ONLY NBA team, the same way people from KC go to St. Louis to see Missouri's ONLY NHL team.  If we had NHL, I think it would be supported by the WHOLE STATE, not just the KC area.
KC is the way to be!
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

As for the NBA, the region is almost full with Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, and Denver having a team. Neither Kansas City or St. Louis does. However, there is a void between Minneapolis and Dallas if you're going east/west and Denver and heck, Cleveland.
Memphis?

St. Louis to Memphis about 280 miles
St. Louis to KC about 240 miles

Are St. Louis fans hitting the road to see the Grizzlies? I didn't think so.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Hockey is not American
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Hockey is not American
I agree.

KC getting a hockey team = terrorists winning
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

I watched the NBA finals the other night. This is suppose to be the highest level of competition for basketball and I found myself saying thinking how much more I enjoy the college game. If we get the NBA, I would be happy. But the NHL is much more interesting to watch. It is much more of a team game than a superstar league.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Hmm. This has been one of the most exciting NBA Finals in recent history. If you aren't excited by it, then you probably just don't like the NBA period.

DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

WSPanic wrote: I agree.

KC getting a hockey team = terrorists winning
OMG ROFL!!

Now for those people who actually post worthy arguements on whether or not the NBA or NHL will succeed here...

The whole arguement on NBA and NHL players breaking the law is irrelevant in my opinion. Some professional sports players become screwed up in the head because of all the fame/pressure. Its been going on for a while now, but that doesnt have anything to do with the succession of a franchise. But in all honesty and from what I have experienced, NHL players are much more down to earth than NBA players and actually give notice to fans, expecially after the lockout.

Stanley Cup finals: Edmonton just won in Carolina to avoid getting the Stanley Cup stolen from them. The series is 3-2 in favor of Carolina, but game 6 is in Edmonton and it is a must win obviously. So I challenge each and everyone of you hockey haters to take 15 minutes out of your Saturday evening and just watch the pregame introductions and Anthem in Edmonton. Heres a video for all of you lazy folks...  http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ehd7PVZ7Qqs& ... n%20oilers and just imagine that here in Kansas City.