NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by droopy »

Found this on Reddit. Must be a slow day at espn to post this article, no new NHL info as far as I saw in my read/scan of the article but thought I'd share considering it is espn talking NHL in KC

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2031 ... -expansion
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

NBA or WNBA would come before NHL does maybe.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:NBA or WNBA would come before NHL does maybe.
or maybe not
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Just not sure KC metro is big enough yet to support another team, especially with the popularity of Sporting KC. I've actually never been to an NHL game and don't follow NHL at all, so not sure I would be interested in attending games, maybe one to see what it was about. But I guess the Mavericks draw quite well averaging 5k a game, so who knows...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think we will end up getting another Suburban hockey team before we get NHL, NBA or WNBA. People in the suburbs just don't like to drive into the city, find parking, see other people not like them (Homeless types). This new arena in Bluhawk will likely attract another hockey team and it will come with free parking, which is a huge plus for many people
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

brewcrew1000 wrote:People in the suburbs just don't like to drive into the city, find parking, see other people not like them (Homeless types)
Oh, Jesus H. Christ. Check the license plates in the PnL garage on Friday.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chingon wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:People in the suburbs just don't like to drive into the city, find parking, see other people not like them (Homeless types)
Its totally different, Hockey games will be played during the weekday. You think some family on 151st and Antioch is going to want to haul there kids downtown on a Tuesday night? Hockey is also going to have somewhat different demographics then someone going to P&L strictly on a weekend

Look at the Braves. One of the reasons why they said they moved from Downtown to the Suburbs was because the fanbase was located more in the Northern Suburbs
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

fine, then check out the license plates in p&L during the mid-week bruno mars concert

hell you don't even have to do that, you can just find a street corner and count the SUV's turning the wrong way down one way streets. found a suburbanite!
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

:roll:
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

With FC Kansas City more of chance for WNBA to come.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
chingon wrote:
Its totally different, Hockey games will be played during the weekday. You think some family on 151st and Antioch is going to want to haul there kids downtown on a Tuesday night? Hockey is also going to have somewhat different demographics then someone going to P&L strictly on a weekend

Look at the Braves. One of the reasons why they said they moved from Downtown to the Suburbs was because the fanbase was located more in the Northern Suburbs
I live in Detroit. This fall all four sports will be played downtown. During the week, weekends, day, night. I've been to a ton of games since moving here in 2008. Prior to this coming season the Pistons played at the Palace of Auburn Hills, a suburb pretty far out. At all the games I've been to there has been a wide variety of people at the games. Families, rowdy 20-somethings, rowdy olders, Black, White, the rest of the rainbow. Parking near Ford Field and Comerica Park (next to each other with a parking garage that doesn't come close to holding every single car) is mostly surface lots and garages spread around downtown. People tailgate before and after football games and also go to bars & restaurants in the area. I've never felt unsafe going to a game, day or night, weekday or weekend. I've been bringing my kids downtown at night for various events since we moved here, and my son in 2008 was 6 years old. My daughter was 8. We walk around downtown a lot. There is a lot going on downtown in Detroit in terms of development. Billions spent & billions more being spent.

What's my point? It's time that suburbanites in KC learn that "driving all the way downtown" and "Is it safe there?" need to be removed from their psyche. Get out of your cocoon and live a little.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Well said
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

SingleMalt12 wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:What's my point? It's time that suburbanites in KC learn that "driving all the way downtown" and "Is it safe there?" need to be removed from their psyche. Get out of your cocoon and live a little.

It's still crazy to me that people have the viewpoint that people who live in the suburbs are by nature insular people. Every time we meet somebody new down here it seems like they just got back from Rome, Tel Aviv, Paris, etc or moved in from some other big city. I go downtown all the time with my two kids, and I consider myself less worldly than 99% of the people here in southern OP. If suburbanites aren't using downtown I can guarantee you the main reason isn't being scared or because of the "drive". This area just does a good job of providing families what they want/need without needing to venture very far.

In regards to homeless people scaring people away, the ignorance on here is laughable, but not surprising considering the echo chambers we all live in. Most of the larger neighborhoods around here have their own charity groups and seem to focus on helping the east side of KC. That includes showing the kids all sorts of people in all sorts of economic conditions. It's a big part of being a good parent and most people move here because that's their goal.

I've been here for 4 years now and haven't heard anybody with a bad word to say about downtown. I'm not a KC native so maybe I just don't get it or maybe I just have a knack for staying away from the people you guys speak of.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Doesn't fit my narrative. Must be wrong. Even if true, it's way worse here than other place x (Detroit, DC, Minneapolis, perfect Europe place I went on vacation in, maybe Tashkent too for good measure). The glass is half empty and definitely looks cheap.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

joshmv wrote:
SingleMalt12 wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:What's my point? It's time that suburbanites in KC learn that "driving all the way downtown" and "Is it safe there?" need to be removed from their psyche. Get out of your cocoon and live a little.

It's still crazy to me that people have the viewpoint that people who live in the suburbs are by nature insular people. Every time we meet somebody new down here it seems like they just got back from Rome, Tel Aviv, Paris, etc or moved in from some other big city. I go downtown all the time with my two kids, and I consider myself less worldly than 99% of the people here in southern OP. If suburbanites aren't using downtown I can guarantee you the main reason isn't being scared or because of the "drive". This area just does a good job of providing families what they want/need without needing to venture very far.

In regards to homeless people scaring people away, the ignorance on here is laughable, but not surprising considering the echo chambers we all live in. Most of the larger neighborhoods around here have their own charity groups and seem to focus on helping the east side of KC. That includes showing the kids all sorts of people in all sorts of economic conditions. It's a big part of being a good parent and most people move here because that's their goal.

I've been here for 4 years now and haven't heard anybody with a bad word to say about downtown. I'm not a KC native so maybe I just don't get it or maybe I just have a knack for staying away from the people you guys speak of.
LOL...this post is so familiar...

I think you may have plagarized my post here from 15 years ago.

j/k

But, seriously, I had a nearly identical take back in the day. It won't convince the hard core urban core-zies. I say that affectionately, by the way. The people who post here are pretty darn cool.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Still think about coming out of the very first concert at Sprint. Elton John. Everyone is streaming out onto Grand (back when the barricades were working) kind of milling about. PnL wasn't open yet. Then the fireworks on top of the Sprint center start going off. Thought some of those ladies were going to break a heal running for cover. 50% of the people thought we were taking fire. Got a good laugh.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I get, "Is it safe there?" all the time. In my mind, the words morph into, "Are there black people?" every time.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

beautyfromashes wrote:In my mind
I think that's where things are going wrong.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I want a winter sport more then anything. I love living in the city and I would actually be a season ticket holder for a winter based sport but I just don't see it happening for a long time.

It's crazy that this city has not had a downtown/urban core based major league sports team in almost 35 years. Its got to be the longest run of any major city that I can think of. Philly is the only city that comes to mind in this regard but the Philly sports complex is a short distance to its urban neighborhoods
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just curious. Any one here think local KC owners would be willing to put up $500,000,000 for an expansion NHL team?

The latest found on Wiki:
"Kansas City sports investor Lamar Hunt Jr., whose father Lamar Sr. was an early investor in what became the Columbus Blue Jackets and whose family owns numerous sports properties, including the NFL's Chiefs, Major League Soccer's FC Dallas and the Mavericks, called the NHL's $500 million price tag for an expansion franchise "a ridiculously big fee," and said that he is not aware of anyone in Kansas City who will make a push for a team. Neither he nor Cliff Illig, co-owner of MLS's Sporting Kansas City, have any intention of bidding in the NHL expansion window, and AEG is considered to be more focused on efforts to bring the NHL to Las Vegas than they are on Kansas City. It should also be noted that Silver's 2013 analysis estimated that the Kansas City area had only about 75,000 avid hockey fans, fewer than in any other market seriously considered for an NHL franchise in the 21st century."

Concerning NBA expansion here is an interesting article on the topic.
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/8/9/1 ... -next-step
"Expansion is coming to the NBA. It may take another decade, but the league adding another team or two is “inevitable,” Adam Silver said recently. There’s too much money in the game, and too much success overall, for the current 30-team alignment to remain unaltered."
and
"it sounds like the NBA would prefer to put two more teams in the West while moving the Memphis Grizzlies to the East. This would help balance the two conferences, to an extent."
Of course the article mentions the possible expansion fee may be $1,000,000,000, or more. Any potential local owners have the deep pockets for that amount?