NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by mgsports »

Quebec City could be other.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

grovester wrote:http://www.ksdk.com/sports/blues-to-mov ... /359281725

Closer to the NHL at least.
If the Sprint Center turns out to be a failure I could see this team moving to the New Bluhawk Development or whatever its called in South OP. I thought that was getting an Ice Arena.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
grovester wrote:http://www.ksdk.com/sports/blues-to-mov ... /359281725

Closer to the NHL at least.
If the Sprint Center turns out to be a failure I could see this team moving to the New Bluhawk Development or whatever its called in South OP. I thought that was getting an Ice Arena.
Attendance-wise?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^ Yeah I was leaning more towards Attendance Wise, I love that we will have a team downtown because its close to me and it will be nice to have a winter sport for the arena but people from the burbs don't like to deal with parking and paying for parking. I think the parking issue and general ease for the fanbase is one of the reasons why the Independence Events Center has been a success for minor league hockey.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I find the notion that this will be in Sprint Center to be shocking. AEG doesn't want to deal with an NHL or NBA team so why would they want to deal with a team with significantly less interest and money coming in? Plus, Hunt Jr. is behind the hockey arena at BluHawk.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:I find the notion that this will be in Sprint Center to be shocking. AEG doesn't want to deal with an NHL or NBA team so why would they want to deal with a team with significantly less interest and money coming in? Plus, Hunt Jr. is behind the hockey arena at BluHawk.
So this is the perfect bait if he is involved in Bluhawk. Have the team start at the Sprint Center, create a big media stir about attendance woes at Sprint Center then Lamar Hunt Jr. asks Kansas for tax breaks to move the team from Missouri to Kansas.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Negative Nancys. What if it's a huge success at SC? If we mostly sell out a AAA affiliate, I would think there would be a better chance of getting an NHL team. This is the cities chance to put up or shut up about wanting an anchor tenant for the arena.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

That article is horribly written, but is it stating that Hunt will have both AHL and USHL teams playing at Sprint Center, in addition to the ECHL team in Independence?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

beautyfromashes wrote:^ Negative Nancys. What if it's a huge success at SC? If we mostly sell out a AAA affiliate, I would think there would be a better chance of getting an NHL team. This is the cities chance to put up or shut up about wanting an anchor tenant for the arena.
Believe me, I would love to have minor league hockey at Sprint Center. It just doesn't sound right.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nhl/ar ... 32533.html
Missouri Mavericks deny report outlining plans to take over AHL team for St. Louis Blues

A report Wednesday from the “In the Slot” blog and TV station KSDK in St. Louis said that Hunt and Kansas City Youth Hockey Association president Tom Tilley would own the AHL team and house it at Sprint Center, noting that the team would replace the Blues’ current relationship with the AHL’s Chicago Wolves. The report cited a source as saying the plans were “pretty much a done deal.”

When reached by The Star on Wednesday, Tilley said, “There’s no truth to that at all.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nhl/ar ... rylink=cpy
gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gfisch95 »

I took the Mavericks statement as meaning they would not be the AHL team. Not that there wouldn't be an AHL team, it would just be a different team than the Mavericks.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

I second that and how about DL Team or WNBA?
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

gfisch95 wrote:I took the Mavericks statement as meaning they would not be the AHL team. Not that there wouldn't be an AHL team, it would just be a different team than the Mavericks.
That was my thought as well since it's a statement from the Mavs GM and not Lamar or Tom Tilley. Also somewhat answers the questions I had in response...what happens with the Mavs? and where would the play? If Lamar continues the Mavs in Independence and ADDs an AHL team I'd assume the AHL would play at Sprint Center. I believe Sprint's capacity is pretty big for the typical AHL team and Independence is on the smaller side for them. BlueHawk would seem to be a likely home if that gets done.
gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gfisch95 »

7 of the 30 AHL teams currently play in arenas with a capacity of 15,000 or more. So, Sprint Center is a reasonable location.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gfisch95 »

I get that, I'm just saying it's reasonable to think they would play in Sprint Center, not that they'd fill it up every night.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

gfisch95 wrote:
I get that, I'm just saying it's reasonable to think they would play in Sprint Center, not that they'd fill it up every night.
I agree. The Sprint Center would have to be in play if the StL Blues highest affiliate comes to town. There are so many StL hockey nuts living here that the place would probably be brimming the first year or two for sure. Attendance would remain healthy going forward, as well, with us Blues fans getting to see potential future Blues (draft picks, veterans on rehab, call ups/call downs, etc) on the ice 30 to 40 times per season.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The question is would Sprint Center management want an AHL team. I doubt it.