NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by mgsports »

How does KC Heat or Magic because could have got them during Penny Hardaway days or Panthers or Lighting just in case one of them has to relocate because of Hurricane Irna.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Looks like Seattle has a $650M plan to rehab the Key Center to attract either a NBA or a NHL team. I think it is to be ready by 2020.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Looks like Seattle has a $650M plan to rehab the Key Center to attract either a NBA or a NHL team. I think it is to be ready by 2020.
Thinking positive, if KC was to ever gain a team, it would be a lot easier as part of a bigger expansion into multiple cities.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It would before Seattle does because don't have to redo Sprint Center.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mgsports wrote:It would before Seattle does because don't have to redo Sprint Center.
How old is the Sprint Center? May not have to redo all of the place but having a team would require some sort of expenditure to bring the facility up-to-date. Plus a practice facility among other things.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
mgsports wrote:It would before Seattle does because don't have to redo Sprint Center.
How old is the Sprint Center?
10 years old in a few weeks.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=78894721 It's not a GL or NBA Team but do get a Team back here to play.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

STL seems to make more sense for NBA given largest market with only two major league sports teams. KC is probably smallest market with 3 of 5 majors plus Nascar. Can KC support another? Sprint Center is doing fine w/out a team. Maybe a MO team that is shared between KC/STL?

BTW if unaware, MLS has passed both NBA and NHL in avg attendance though not in team values...
https://www.statista.com/statistics/207 ... s-leagues/
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I am skeptical of the quote about NBA to KC being "just a matter of time", but it could be a possibility. I think it would ultimately come down to the ownership group. If we had some deep-pocketed owners who really wanted NBA (or NHL) in KC, it could have happened already. If the Sporting KC ownership group wanted to make it happen, I think they could. However, I seem to recall them being asked about it before and expressing no interest.

I think KC does have some advantages over STL. One is Sprint Center being newer and nicer than Scottrade - although I believe they just passed some public funds for a renovation. I think the biggest problem for STL is that even though they only have 2 other pro sports, one is NHL. Not only do the seasons completely overlap, but they share a venue. Depending on the least that the Blues have, a potential NBA team might not have revenue streams that would otherwise be available.

I think STL could also have ownership problems if their MLS bid is any indication. There were some locals involved, but the bulk of the money was coming from outside investors (mostly KC people). Since they weren't really committed to STL, when the public funding vote failed, they bolted. Speaking of Paul Edgerley, maybe he wants to sell his stake in the Celtics and buy an expansion franchise for his hometown?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sharing a MO NBA team could address NHL overlap at STL arena. And investors (edit: as well as larger fan base) from both markets could reduce risk. And could help build KC/STL relationships.
Last edited by earthling on Sun May 20, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The Missouri Hyperloops.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:The Missouri Hyperloops.
1st half in STL, 2nd half in KC!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

We split cities with the Kings.

Season tickets and suites would be a hard sell. Just put it in Columbia, two hours from both cities.

That's a stupid idea too. KC doesn't need to share its NBA team. If OKC can support a team, so can we.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think in the next decade there will be a rush to DT for KC teams. The core is growing so much that capturing that market and showing a young, vibrant product in a cool area of town will be a can’t-miss. Royals, NBA and maybe even SKC or NHL should move quick to be first in. Those that stick with their original, suburban locations could be hurt in the long run.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

shinatoo wrote:We split cities with the Kings.

Season tickets and suites would be a hard sell. Just put it in Columbia, two hours from both cities.

That's a stupid idea too. KC doesn't need to share its NBA team. If OKC can support a team, so can we.
OKC doesn't have 3 other major league sports + NASCAR as KC has. If KC or STL can get NBA on its own then fine but if not in top running and KC/STL bid could be a sure shot, then a shared MO team could work out better in long run. Would mean about 20 home games for Sprint Center and gives KC/STL something in common other than a crappy state govt. It reduces risks for owners (and NBA) and fewer games per market may lead to higher attendance for subpar performance years. For high performance years or those wanting to catch a favorite visiting team, KC/STL may visit each other even more often. Might lead to KC/STL collaborating on more things if relationships can build up.
Last edited by earthling on Sun May 20, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Our rural-minded state government would demand games in Columbia or Springfield or something dumb like that to kill it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^It doesn't necessarily need state help to land a team. But giving a few early season games to Columbia could work out.

STL 2.8M + KC 2.1M = 4.9M direct market and the regional draw would include Topeka/Lawrence/St. Joe, all of MO, southern IL, some Wichita, some Omaha and some Des Moines (they'd split with existing OKC/MSP/Chicago fans who may also double up or migrate as MO fans). NBA would maybe try to move a team with that KC/STL bid w/out state help if ownership sees the market. It's much bigger than Seattle regional market considering Portland has a team.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Um no. Horrible idea to have a team split between cities 250 miles apart. No investor would go for that. It failed with the Kings in the exact same market for the same reasons I stated above. Season tickets and suite sales. Not to mention doubling all the operational expenses, office spaces, marketing teams. Horrible idea.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm surprised we haven't seen a team split recently, I would think the TV revenues would be huge since that is where most of the owners are making their money. I actually think we could see one with Buffalo and Toronto for the Bills

I doubt St Louis ever gets a team after the whole ABA Spirit of St Louis debacle - https://nesn.com/2014/01/report-nba-to- ... -old-deal/