NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by kcjak »

AllThingsKC wrote: Do you run with scissors? 

I think we have a new logo for our next team...the mascot will be the most popular in all of sports  :shock:
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcjak wrote: I think we have a new logo for our next team...the mascot will be the most popular in all of sports  :shock:
Would've gone well with The Wiz.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: With the Big XII imploding...it's time to dust off this discussion. Maybe Grid will get his wish and KC will actually become a pro sports town instead of a college sports town.
You mean getting an NHL or NBA team, putting more than 15k in one of the best ballparks in baseball and bringing back the glory years of sold out loud arrowhead stadium crowds and keeping them for a little longer this time?

You bet!

The only thing people talk about out here is the top four leagues.  NCAA is truly way off in the back burner someplace.  More my style.

Having said that.  The loss of the big 12 is one more thing that will really hurt KC.  If KC does not figure out a way to market itself (something everybody there seems to think is unnecessary, cause they don't care how the rest of the world views KC), then I'm not sure why the city is even going to spend any more money on convention type venues (like a convention hotel).

KC has so much to offer, but once you get 150 miles from the metro, people think KC is Little Rock.  Change that.  People outside of KC have zero desire to visit KC and there is no reason that can't  be improved.

And become a big league city in the process.  KU is great, but make it part of the sports scene, not THE sports scene.  Much like Boulder is to Denver.

You can start by NOT wearing KU crap to Major League sporting events (the only people I see in my away royals games out here wearing college crap are traveling KC fans).  ;)

KC is quite confused :).

Get a pro team in that pro arena, quit boycotting the billion dollar sports complex and start marketing the city and have a little pride showing off a new downtown, a world class arts center, museums etc instead of talking about KU, Kstate and Mizzou 24/7 with a little pretend BRT mixed in :)

BTW, I'm talking about KC, not this forum.  While I was living there, college sports is all anybody talked about.  I can only imagine what it's like in every office in KC right now.

Time to move on KC.  Even OKC is starting to move on a bit, don't let freaking OKC pass you by while you freak out over where the big 12 teams will end up.

And look around at what Denver, Indy etc are doing.  They can thow up a convention hotel and have it open before KC starts its third study and they understand how important it is to have an airport that does not totally suck.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agree. Just because we have decades of tradition and history in this town of being a college sports HQ and supporter and have carved out a niche of sorts, there is no need to preserve it when we have the chance to try and catch up and be like east coast cities.  :) I propose imploding the CBE, dismantling Municipal Auditorium and telling the NAIA to take a hike.  8) Ban any college hoops games from playing at Sprint Center. That alone should allow a convention hotel to be built and will transform our airport.  :lol: :x :P :D/ :-s :-$ [-X [-o< :cheers:
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

When is the last time KC used Muni for anything? (womens big 12 bb barely makes use of it)

When was the last time KC has had a final four?

When was the last time KC even hosted a regional?  (or whatever the games before the final four are called).

One weekend a year (the years KC hosts the big 12)!  Wow.

So much better than a full season of season of NHL or NBA!

The Star states the tourney (again, when KC has it) brings in 14 million to the local economy.

That's a lot, but not near as much of a season long of NHL or NBA.  The all star game in KC will bring 60-70 million.

I guess my point is that it may be time to move on KC.  You built a 300 million dollar pro sports arena for a weekend of basketball that may or may not happen.

Time to let go.  But then again, I think KC's college basketball history has been dead for a very long time save the occasional tourney and the presence of all the KU fans in the area.

Call me crazy.  I would much rather see KC think bigger than the big 12 tourney.  Even in Dallas, heart of college crazy texas has little interest in the event and like I said, OKC has even grown out of it a bit since they landed the NBA.

Convention hotels, airport teminals, light rail, rolling roofs etc.  That's what cities do.   Hanging onto to the an old fact of how many final four "were" held there will get you nowhere...

I have had three people out here tell me they can't believe KC said no to the super bowl.  They knew about the rolling roof thing and wanted to see it.  Thought it would be cool.  Now few people even know the stadiums were renovated because the renovations didn't change them enough for people to notice the difference.

Think bigger KC.  Don't be scared.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Well Grid, I guess you'll just have to purchase an NBA team then, because otherwise we aren't getting one.  I don't think anyone in KC would turn down seeing an NBA or NHL team land here, but there has to be a buyer willing to move them here first.  Otherwise we're just left with the shitty Royals, shitty Chiefs, and college sports.  That's the way it is here.  Bitching about it on a message board isn't going to change anything.  Wish it would, but it won't.  And most cities that are KC's size are college sports cities.  KC isn't the size of DFW, LA, SF, Seattle, Miami, ATL, DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.  And don't tell me OKC is now a pro sports city.  They support the NBA team down there because they don't have anything else to do and no other pro team to cheer for.  KC would do the same.  But once fall rolls around, nobody in OKC is going to give a shit about NBA bball....it will be Sooner football time once again.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Think bigger KC.  Don't be scared.
F' Off! Quit patronizing us all like you have all the answers and we need to hold your hand into the promised land.  You either aren't from Kansas City or have lost what it means to be from Kansas City.  We don't want to be East Coast.  We don't want to be California.  We don't need to be 'big time'.  We are what we are and are damn comfortable with it. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm still struggling to see what the airport or convention hotel have to do with any of this.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote: I'm still struggling to see what the airport or convention hotel have to do with any of this.
If KC got an NBA team, it would bring in the demand for more flights to KC, thus making us a hub and creating the need for a new terminal.  People would love visiting KC so much more since the airport now would have multiple restaurants/bars/shopping places and it would be easy to use, so they would want to come back over and over again.  That would provide the demand for a new 70 story hotel downtown.  :lol:
Last edited by kcmetro on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: OKC has even grown out of it a bit since they landed the NBA.
OKC "grew out of it" because it became clear that they weren't likely to ever be trusted with it again.  

I have no idea why you think College sports are such a liability.  Even if viewed purely from an urban development/public perception vantage point, being known as a robust college sports scene is a huge positive.  Some of the most notoriously rabid college sports regions of the country happen to also be areas that have spent the last ten years as development/immigration meccas: Austin, the North Carolina Triangle, Columbus . . . I know it doesn't jive with your personal preferences but a rabid college sports scene seems to actually be a very attractive selling point for a city/region.  
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: That actually makes it more likely franchises will begin to relocate as they look for better sweetheart arena deals to be more fiscally sound.
It might make it seem more likely but at the same time more expensive since the teams would be asking for more "financial support" to make the move.  How much of its revenue stream should AEG give up to lure a team?  How much should KCMO give the team?  Whatever was offered the Penguins a few years ago to move probably, now, wouldn't even get us to the bargaining table.
Of course, if a local ownership comes up then that changes the dynamics of the discussion but AEG and KCMO better have the pocketbooks open. 
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It might make it seem more likely but at the same time more expensive since the teams would be asking for more "financial support" to make the move.  How much of its revenue stream should AEG give up to lure a team?  How much should KCMO give the team?  Whatever was offered the Penguins a few years ago to move probably, now, wouldn't even get us to the bargaining table.
Of course, if a local ownership comes up then that changes the dynamics of the discussion but AEG and KCMO better have the pocketbooks open. 
That doesn't make sense. So long as our offer is better than what their old city is offering them, we should win. A team can ask for 20n, but if we only offer 10n, that still trumps the old city offering 5n.

mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It might make it seem more likely but at the same time more expensive since the teams would be asking for more "financial support" to make the move.  How much of its revenue stream should AEG give up to lure a team?  How much should KCMO give the team?  Whatever was offered the Penguins a few years ago to move probably, now, wouldn't even get us to the bargaining table.
you hit the nail on the head. Both AEG, and KCMO dip their hands into the revenue stream cookie jar that the sprint center produces. It would be difficult (not impossible) to convince an owner to relocate here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Whatever, KC is making a huge deal of something that should be way down on the list of worries or priorities.  If people put this much thought and effort into half of the other issues that really do fuck up KC, then maybe the city could get some things done.  Isn't KU going through some sort of ticket scandal?  Seems like KU has more problems than a lot of the higher profile troubled NBA teams so all this talk of college being "pure" is bs.

KC is what it is I guess and maybe I just need to accept that. Believe it or, I have moved on and I do miss a lot of what KC has to offer.  But after living elsewhere for an extended period of time, I'm not sure I could move back and actually live in KC.  I just have nothing in common with too many of the people there.

But there is something inside me that would like to see my hometown become a more respected metropolitan area and I would love to see KC offer more of the things it lacks and I honestly think for it to meet my personal expectations, it will need to get away from being a giant college town/suburb and start doing some of the things that make a city like Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis etc attractive.

You guys may love KC just the way it is and that's fine.  I have always wanted to see the city go to the next level.  The good thing is that it has come a very long way in 10 years.  Ten years ago KC was a total and complete mess, a joke, a failure.

But then you go and elect funkhouser as mayor.  So maybe you do need your "hands held".  Because I told you what would happen if you elected him and it all came true.  Sadly.

I'll let you guys get back to freaking out over the big 12 ;)
Last edited by GRID on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I LOVE baiting Grid. He's my hero.  :lol:
GRID wrote:
KC has so much to offer, but once you get 150 miles from the metro, people think KC is Little Rock.  Change that.  People outside of KC have zero desire to visit KC and there is no reason that can't  be improved.
not true. i grew up 5 hours of north of KC in no man's land-- and along with MPLS-- KC is still a relatively unimaginable big city throughout the Midwest. people from Sioux City, Des Moines, Lincoln, Omaha, etc. might take a weekend trip to KC much in the same way people in KC might take a trip to Chicago or Denver to upgrade.

the problem with KC is that its cultural crown jewels aren't a focal point for our tourism package. whereas many visitors in MPLS, Denver or CHI take advantage of cultural offerings theatre, visual art, performing arts, architecture; people come to KC for BBQ, Worlds of Fun, suburban shopping, Sprint Center shows and bad pro sports-- this is what the perception of KC becomes. KC does not market its cultural offerings the way it should. the Nelson and the Holl addition would be AMAZING even if in Chicago, but how many people outside the immediate metro visit the Nelson?

you've spent way too much time flying around in your helicopter and not enough time talking to other Midwesterners.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm glad KC impresses people from Ames!  But with no big 12... ;)

Good job on the "baiting", :)
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Self-awareness:
he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me

Self-loathing:
...in KC.  I just have nothing in common with too many of the people there.

Either way, I guess the big time is just hard on a motherfucker.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Kansas City-- impressing people from Ames since 1850. I hope you see the irony in your joke...

and Grid, I would argue KC still is a huge mess. so much architecture has been lost, so many derelict neighborhoods, so much work to do-- but it is worth saving and fighting for...so many many parts of the American landscape of the last 30+ years aren't.
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

We drive down several times a summer to watch the Royals.  Since the K was redone we've doubled our trips (my two boys love the outfield experience).

If KC got an NHL team we'd be down there a lot on weekends during hockey season.  Would not make the drive for the NBA though.

Greg
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: KC is what it is I guess and maybe I just need to accept that. Believe it or, I have moved on and I do miss a lot of what KC has to offer.  But after living elsewhere for an extended period of time, I'm not sure I could move back and actually live in KC.  I just have nothing in common with too many of the people there.

But there is something inside me that would like to see my hometown become a more respected metropolitan area and I would love to see KC offer more of the things it lacks and I honestly think for it to meet my personal expectations, it will need to get away from being a giant college town/suburb and start doing some of the things that make a city like Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis etc attractive.

I'll let you guys get back to freaking out over the big 12 ;)
Sounds like you are saying people on the east coast are more sophisticated than people in KC?  Then you add that they think KC is another Little Rock.  Doesn't sound like sophistication to me, sounds like ignorance.

If you do not think college sports are BIG everywhere in the US, I think you must be running with a very unique non sports minded crowd. Huge universities like Michigan puts out far more grads per year than an MU or Kansas does and these folks, now engineers, lawyers, doctors,or  whatever are just as passionate about their alma mater sports programs than us hicks in KC.