NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by Maitre D »

AllThingsKC wrote: I saw the highlights from the game.  The arena didn't look very full.
They had the East upper side goal area curtained off.  the West side was totally full.  The Upper tank & Suites were 80% full I'd guess.

The lowers were maybe 1/2 full.  Oh gee, I wonder why that would be?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NHL makes its Sprint Center debut

An announced crowd of 11,603 watched a Kings split squad defeat St. Louis 2-1 in the $276 million arena, which was curtained off in the upper deck in the south end of the 17,297-seat facility.....

Paul McGannon, president of NHL21, a local grassroots organization dedicated to helping bring an NHL franchise to Kansas City, said he’s already requested a Saturday, Oct. 3 date for next year’s preseason game.

Video
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: NHL makes its Sprint Center debut

An announced crowd of 11,603 watched

Looks like I nailed another one.  Yet again.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

mtell1
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mtell1 »

KC's attendance was better than what will probably be found in most of the pre-season games in the non-traditional NHL cities like Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta, Wash DC.  The other game the Kings were in last night only had 8221 fans at the Staples Center.  I think KC did a good job last night having over 11,000 people at the Sprint Center on a Monday night with real NHL ticket prices and not the $40 for any seat price that we've seen in past games at Kemper.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sadly some family leaving the game got car jacked outside the arena and their car taken with babe still in car seat.  Car and baby recovered shortly thereafter.  I guess we got nearly a year in without a really bad news P&L/SC crime story; perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Sadly some family leaving the game got car jacked outside the arena and their car taken with babe still in car seat.  Car and baby recovered shortly thereafter.  I guess we got nearly a year in without a really bad news P&L/SC crime story; perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky. 
this actually occurred outside the family's home at 36th and Baltimore.  they had just returned home from the game.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Sadly some family leaving the game got car jacked outside the arena and their car taken with babe still in car seat.  Car and baby recovered shortly thereafter.  I guess we got nearly a year in without a really bad news P&L/SC crime story; perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky.  
it is a sad story, but it happened at 36th and baltimore.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Ahh - the news piece I saw seemed to leave that nugget unmentioned.  No wonder it wasn't being made a bigger deal of. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chrizow wrote: this actually occurred outside the family's home at 36th and Baltimore.  they had just returned home from the game.
According to KCTV5, this is on the Plaza.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

The Sprint Center is a GREAT place to watch hockey.  Vastly better than the dump in Pittsburgh (Mellon).  I love the slope of the upper deck, it's pretty steep but you're so much closer to the action.  We were 3rd row in the end zone and we were practically over the goalie.

I still don't think we'll get a team and not sure if it'd work if they did, but it's a good fan set up.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree on upper deck viewing....people complain it's steep but I think the viewing angles are awesome because of it....I had horrible seats for some Big 12 tournament sessions and I still felt right on top of the action.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

for anyone who ever sat in the upper tank at Kemper for the hoops, vs. Sprint Center, they know the diff.  nite and day.  distances at Kemper were outrageous

Topeka Blade
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Topeka Blade »

AllThingsKC wrote: Now the Blues are down 2-1 wh 5:10 left in the 3rd Period.

A comment left on ESPN says that the estimated attendance was about 14,000.  I don't know how they would know that though.
I suspect they were going by the statement from AEG in the Star BEFORE the game.  They said there were 12,000 tickets sold and they expected 2,000 walkups.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

Regardless of the attendance I can say that everyone who showed up had a great time. Alot of the fans didn't know the finer points of hockey but they were all enjoying it. I heard numerous people around me say "We need a hockey team!!". It was an awesome feeling watching an NHL game in our new arena. I remember after the 2003 exhibition game the speculation of a new downtown arena was starting to come out and I remember thinking about how amazing that will be. Well after the 5 year wait I can honestly say it was well worth it.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

I was shocked. This made the sports page of the Tucson Paper!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

From what I have read nationaly, this was viewed a success for all parties.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Maitre D wrote: for anyone who ever sat in the upper tank at Kemper for the hoops, vs. Sprint Center, they know the diff.   nite and day.   distances at Kemper were outrageous
If you wish to compare the lower portion of the upper level of Kemper to the lower portion of the upper level of the SC you just might find that the seats in Kemper were closer.  That is because the lower level seating bowl at Kemper is quite smaller.  Not sure about the tops of the upper levels.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I wonder if the shitty economy makes it (1) more or (2) less, likely for KC to get a team.

On one hand, the owners may each want that $12M payout ($6M from both franchises) in hard times.  On the other, may not want to bring a baby into this kind of world.  Esp if it splits up tv/common revenues.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Less likely.  New team owners have to borrow much money to buy a team.  And we are in a credit crunch.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

So back to my point then - won't the current owners have economic troubles of their own, and need that 12M check to take care of their problems?