NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by DowntownBryan »

Calling the UHL and CHL beer/goon leagues is a jackass move. Don't get me wrong the style of play is nothing near the AHL or NHL therefore I can understand why people bash on them. But you're making it sound like they don't give a rats ass about the sport and are just out there to make a mockery of the game. Those guys have more athletic talent than anyone on here has ever had/will have. So, say what you want, but i stand by my point of calling you jackasses. Now if you would have said something like "I wouldn't want anything to do with the UHL or CHL because its not quality hockey" then yeah i might have gone easy. And dont give me any of that "it's an open forum say what you want" BS. By saying that youre telling me that any form of criticism is wrong, and as most of you can see there is more than enough criticism around here.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

DowntownBryan wrote: Calling the UHL and CHL beer/goon leagues is a jackass move. Don't get me wrong the style of play is nothing near the AHL or NHL therefore I can understand why people bash on them. But you're making it sound like they don't give a rats ass about the sport and are just out there to make a mockery of the game. Those guys have more athletic talent than anyone on here has ever had/will have. So, say what you want, but i stand by my point of calling you jackasses. Now if you would have said something like "I wouldn't want anything to do with the UHL or CHL because its not quality hockey" then yeah i might have gone easy. And dont give me any of that "it's an open forum say what you want" BS. By saying that youre telling me that any form of criticism is wrong, and as most of you can see there is more than enough criticism around here.
You're reading too much into my comment. I never said nor insinuated that CHL/UHL "don't give a rats ass about the sport and are just out there to make a mockery of the game." My comment only points out the quality level of their leagues play as compared to the old CHL/CPHL, IHL, AHL, WHA, and NHL.
Topeka Blade
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Topeka Blade »

DowntownBryan wrote: Calling the UHL and CHL beer/goon leagues is a jackass move. Don't get me wrong the style of play is nothing near the AHL or NHL therefore I can understand why people bash on them. But you're making it sound like they don't give a rats ass about the sport and are just out there to make a mockery of the game. Those guys have more athletic talent than anyone on here has ever had/will have. So, say what you want, but i stand by my point of calling you jackasses. Now if you would have said something like "I wouldn't want anything to do with the UHL or CHL because its not quality hockey" then yeah i might have gone easy. And dont give me any of that "it's an open forum say what you want" BS. By saying that youre telling me that any form of criticism is wrong, and as most of you can see there is more than enough criticism around here.
The former Pittsburgh Steeler coach, Chuck Noll, always had a way of letting a player know his time had come.  If he thought a player had stayed too long, he would say publicly that "perhaps he should get on with his life's work."

That sort of sums up my feeling about the UHL / CHL--if these leagues didn't exist, there would be a lot of players forced to get on with their life's work.

It's not that they don't have athletic talent or the spirit of competition.  But these leagues have tried to promote themselves as feeder leagues to higher leagues.  And the record shows that really isn't the case.

If they would settle for being entertainment leagues--which is what they are--and not claim to be developmental leagues, I would be less harsh with them.  But as long as they claim being developmental leagues, they are open to criticism.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

For those that didn't see it, the Star had a couple of features in Sunday's sports page on the history of hockey in Kansas City, the demise of the Scouts and why the NHL isn't keen on Canada anymore. I think their intent was to make it seem like KC would be good for hockey, but most of the quotes were denigrating Kansas City as hockey fans.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I  can't find a link yet, but Fox 4 just reported that IF they can't get an arena deal done in Seattle that the Sonics will move...   to Oklahoma City!    :(  Can anyone confirm that yet?
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AllThingsKC wrote: I  can't find a link yet, but Fox 4 just reported that IF they can't get an arena deal done in Seattle that the Sonics will move...   to Oklahoma City!    :(   Can anyone confirm that yet?
what the hell?, this has been the story for a year or more.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: this has been the story for a year or more.
Yes, but Fox 4 Said that it would be OKC over KC.   -  I was under the impression that KC was still a very small possiblity.

Edit: So, I don't know why Fox 4 would bring up the story tonight after all this time... 
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the spokesman for Bennett said that in a story on espn.com today.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AllThingsKC wrote: Yes, but Fox 4 Said that it would be OKC over KC.   -  I was under the impression that KC was still a very small possibility.

Edit: So, I don't know why Fox 4 would bring up the story tonight after all this time... 
I don't know why any of the news channels do much of what they do :).

I still think putting a team in OKC over KC is ridiculous, but when the owners simply "want" a team in their backyard, that's pretty hard to overcome.  More power to OKC.  Lucky them.
Topeka Blade
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Topeka Blade »

KCMax wrote: For those that didn't see it, the Star had a couple of features in Sunday's sports page on the history of hockey in Kansas City, the demise of the Scouts and why the NHL isn't keen on Canada anymore. I think their intent was to make it seem like KC would be good for hockey, but most of the quotes were denigrating Kansas City as hockey fans.
Actually, I thought these were two of the best articles written on Kansas City hockey history to appear in the Star . . . or anywhere else for that matter.

Posnanski's article about the Scouts I thought explained the basic issue about the Scouts--that they were an ill-conceived idea, and if anything, the lessons of that experience are what to avoid in placing a hockey team--any hockey team--in Kansas City.  One of the things you should learn from the Scouts experience isn't that you never, ever place an NHL team in Kansas City, but to consider the consequences much better than they did in 1974.

As for Richman's article on the overall history of hockey in KC--A+ for getting across what is often ignored--that KC has a long hockey history, but there are some rough patches in that history.  Again, it's what you learn from that experience that counts.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

I agree about OKC and the Sonics.  Dallas is not too far south and they have a team.  I don't doubt the team will do well there since it would be the only show in town (besides Sooner football).  I bet Tulsa will support it as well. 

On the other hand, the Ford Center is NOT a NBA arena.  Bennett and his group will be complaining about its weak revenue streams in no time.  This still leaves KC/StL/Springfield/Columbia (even Omaha and Des Moines, although they could be T-Wolve/Bull land) and all points in between without a team.  Those TV markets have got to make up about 10 million people.  I guess it is NHL or bust now.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

jlbomega wrote: I agree about OKC and the Sonics.  Dallas is not too far south and they have a team.  I don't doubt the team will do well there since it would be the only show in town (besides Sooner football).  I bet Tulsa will support it as well. 

On the other hand, the Ford Center is NOT a NBA arena.  Bennett and his group will be complaining about its weak revenue streams in no time.  This still leaves KC/StL/Springfield/Columbia (even Omaha and Des Moines, although they could be T-Wolve/Bull land) and all points in between without a team.  Those TV markets have got to make up about 10 million people.  I guess it is NHL or bust now.
The Ford Center will have to be replaced within 5 years if they want to keep a potential NBA team. The Ford Center was not built to house a major league team. OKC is actually trying to get a new arena built and it would break ground in 2011, but I doubt the city will vote to help pay for a new arena in less than 10 years of the old one opening.
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

Posted the story in the outside KC forum.

I won't be on the ball to defend the pending OKC attacks since I've been in DC for a month. Kind of a win-win for all of us on this board, I suppose.
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Aubrey McClendon the OKC energy tycoon that bought the Sonics was fined $250,000 by the NBA for talking to them about moving the team already.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: On the other hand, the Ford Center is NOT a NBA arena.  Bennett and his group will be complaining about its weak revenue streams in no time.  This still leaves KC/StL/Springfield/Columbia (even Omaha and Des Moines, although they could be T-Wolve/Bull land) and all points in between without a team.  Those TV markets have got to make up about 10 million people. 
If an NBA team moved to Omaha, I wouldn't care about them at all.  So why should they care if we get one?  I doubt they'd watch a team in KC.  They don't show up for our AAA affiliate there, so I doubt they'd tune in for a pro team in KC.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Maitre D wrote: If an NBA team moved to Omaha, I wouldn't care about them at all.  So why should they care if we get one?  I doubt they'd watch a team in KC.  They don't show up for our AAA affiliate there, so I doubt they'd tune in for a pro team in KC.
I don't know.  While I don't think Omaha is a big on the Chiefs as KC is, I do know that there are a lot of Chiefs in that area.  And, I'm sure there are some Vikings and Broncos fans as well.  But, I've seen a lot of red in Omaha.
KC is the way to be!
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Because cities like Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita have always been minor league cities.  They are used to rooting for the major league squads in nearby cities.  This isn't a knock, just how it is.  All Major League teams pull from beyond their metros.   
Maitre D wrote: If an NBA team moved to Omaha, I wouldn't care about them at all.  So why should they care if we get one?  I doubt they'd watch a team in KC.  They don't show up for our AAA affiliate there, so I doubt they'd tune in for a pro team in KC.
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

Maitre D wrote: If an NBA team moved to Omaha, I wouldn't care about them at all.  So why should they care if we get one?
I would follow them, and would make a trip or two a season to watch them in person.  If they were ever on TV here, I'd watch them as often as I could.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Aubrey McClendon the OKC energy tycoon that bought the Sonics was fined $250,000 by the NBA for talking to them about moving the team already.
That could get him into very hot water with the league. There are channels that they have to go through to move a team. One of which is the owners of the other teams have to approve it. I remember when St. Louis got the Rams. The NFL Owners had to ratify the move before the rams could even think about moving even a T-shirt to St. Louis.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Hornets have played just nine games in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina struck in August 2005. Those games were well attended, but there are countless doubters who question whether a city that has lost about 200,000 residents since the storm can support an NBA team for a full 41-game home slate.

Team owner George Shinn calls himself an optimist and insists his gut tells him he did the right thing by returning with the hope of spurring a historic city's recovery. But the transition hasn't always gone smoothly.

As of right now, around 250,000 residents in St. Tammany Parish, one of New Orleans' wealthiest and fastest growing suburbs on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, won't be able to see the Hornets on TV. Cox Sports, which broadcasts the games, is at an impasse over rights fees with Charter Communication, the only cable company in St. Tammany.

Meanwhile, the Hornets have sold fewer than 6,000 season tickets, with a goal of reaching 10,000 — or the equivalent through a combination of partial-season plans — at some point this season.

Shinn has been accepting about every public speaking engagement he can get, often arguing that failing to support his team could potentially hurt New Orleans' reputation.

"The national media is already calling me an idiot for wanting to come back here," Shinn said. "They're going to be looking for those holes (of unfilled seats) and they're going to be blasting us. ... So let's embrace this thing and make it work."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbc ... /710020335
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag