TSC Renovations

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
User avatar
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1798
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 12:05 pm
Location: ~Westwood~

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby MidtownCat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 am

mykem wrote:I think the stadium is going over well with the media. The things I have read say how they love how the Chiefs have incorporated the new with the old. The graphic art that was done by Echo Artz (if I remember correctly) is very well done. That alone will win brownie points with both the media, and the fans.


Populous was responsible for the graphics as well.

User avatar
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:23 am
Location: tha beach

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby mykem » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:10 pm

MidtownCat wrote:Populous was responsible for the graphics as well.


Yeah, I think there might have been some others also. Anyways, populous did a wonderful job.

On a couple of side notes, I did see a photo taken that showed an area of the stadium that was still being worked on. Time Warner Cable will be the sponsor of the Hall of Honor.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4649
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby NDTeve » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 am

Any specifics?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain

User avatar
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:23 am
Location: tha beach

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby mykem » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:07 pm

KC, and hunt dreaming of a super bowl.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/31/21 ... html   

I heard the commish giving Green Bay the exact same excuse (infrastructure, hotel space, etc, etc). I think it's his politically correct way of saying NO.

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby KCMax » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 am

Any review of the new Arrowhead? They sure indoctrinated Brad Nessler last night. If he says "new body, same soul" one more time, I think I'm going to puke.

But some of the historic exhibits looked pretty cool on TV.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4198
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:25 am
Location: brookside

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby lock+load » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:33 pm

I thought it was pretty funny that it rained on the first game in the "new" stadium.  Where is the rolling roof when you need it.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14667
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Valentine

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby LenexatoKCMO » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

lock+load wrote:I thought it was pretty funny that it rained on the first game in the "new" stadium.  Where is the rolling roof when you need it.


In a dome Phillip Rivers might well have put up 41 points on us.  And I suspect most of those fans wouldn't have traded a little bit of comfort for that outcome. 

pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:22 pm

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby pstokely » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 pm

lock+load wrote:I thought it was pretty funny that it rained on the first game in the "new" stadium.  Where is the rolling roof when you need it.


Could they have even rolled it in on time since it rained earlier than expected if it was there?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27638
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby KCPowercat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:14 am

I think they did a great job. I believe Arrowhead is well on its way to be one of the NFL iconic stadiums behind lambeau. Think about it, the NFL doesn't have as many great historic stadiums like mlb does. Arrowhead could be one of these facilities for the NFL.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14056
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby GRID » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:35 am

Stadium looked awesome on TV.  They said it was only 71k, but sold out?  Does it seat that much less?

Too bad the game started so late and the first game went long.  I'm sure few outside of KC and SD switched over to ESPN2 to catch the opening of the game which showed some of the best shots of the stadium.  Then I doubt many people east of StL or Denver for that matter even watched the game as late as it was.

Next time KC might get an actual prime time monday night game.

But it was nice to see the fans in KC come out.  I think the fans were 80% of the reason KC won that game.  They make a difference.  They need to show up and get into the game again.

Hopefully this is a turning point game for KC much like that Buffalo Monday Night game back in the early 90's.

User avatar
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3528
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:54 am
Location: UMKC Law

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby KC-wildcat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:27 pm

GRID wrote:Stadium looked awesome on TV.  They said it was only 71k, but sold out?  Does it seat that much less?

Too bad the game started so late and the first game went long.  I'm sure few outside of KC and SD switched over to ESPN2 to catch the opening of the game which showed some of the best shots of the stadium.  Then I doubt many people east of StL or Denver for that matter even watched the game as late as it was.

Next time KC might get an actual prime time monday night game.

But it was nice to see the fans in KC come out.  I think the fans were 80% of the reason KC won that game.  They make a difference.  They need to show up and get into the game again.

Hopefully this is a turning point game for KC much like that Buffalo Monday Night game back in the early 90's.


Yeah, not to be snarky, but I think Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelley, and Andre Reed had a bit more to do with the Bill's success than did the MNF appearance. 

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4649
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby NDTeve » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:57 pm

KC-wildcat wrote:Yeah, not to be snarky, but I think Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelley, and Andre Reed had a bit more to do with the Bill's success than did the MNF appearance. 


Huh?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain

User avatar
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:23 am
Location: tha beach

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby mykem » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 pm

I thought the stadium was awesome! I did not like the Hall of Honor on the concourse though. I'm sure cost factored into the decision to do it that way. A good example the Chiefs could have followed (if cost would have allowed) was The Hall at Patriot Place where the Patriots' Hall of Fame is. It was built seperate from the stadium, but still connected.
Overall though, Arrowhead looked great! I was there during the night practice on Aug. 25th. I loved the Tower! I thought when it was designed it was going to be to high from the field to see anything, but it was ok. The enviromental graphics are the best I've seen anywhere relating to sports, you knew you were in Arrowhead! The Architecture was awesome, although I still would have like to have seen less concrete remain. I think this stadium will be the best stadium in the NFL on just a football level.

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby KCMax » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:47 am

mykem wrote:I thought the stadium was awesome! I did not like the Hall of Honor on the concourse though. I'm sure cost factored into the decision to do it that way. A good example the Chiefs could have followed (if cost would have allowed) was The Hall at Patriot Place where the Patriots' Hall of Fame is. It was built seperate from the stadium, but still connected.
Overall though, Arrowhead looked great! I was there during the night practice on Aug. 25th. I loved the Tower! I thought when it was designed it was going to be to high from the field to see anything, but it was ok. The enviromental graphics are the best I've seen anywhere relating to sports, you knew you were in Arrowhead! The Architecture was awesome, although I still would have like to have seen less concrete remain. I think this stadium will be the best stadium in the NFL on just a football level.


So I assume the Hall of Honor is only open on gamedays?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag

User avatar
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3505
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:04 pm
Location: Olathe via St Louis

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby StL_Dan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 am

KCMax wrote:So I assume the Hall of Honor is only open on gamedays?


The one beyond LF?  Yes, it is.  And, it has windows facing the field so you can keep track of the game while touring.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby KCMax » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:19 am

StL_Dan wrote:The one beyond LF?  Yes, it is.  And, it has windows facing the field so you can keep track of the game while touring.


LF= Left Field? I'm talking about Arrowhead.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag

User avatar
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:23 am
Location: tha beach

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby mykem » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:18 pm

KCMax wrote:LF= Left Field? I'm talking about Arrowhead.
I don't think you can just go to the Hall of Honor on any given day. I think you have to buy a stadium tour, or be with some sort of field trip group in order to see the Hall of Honor on non game days. The Hall of Honor is very nice, but it would have been better IMO if they could have built it separate from the concourse but still within the confines of Arrowhead.
On a side note, I watched the Chiefs vs. 49Er's game on tv here in Cali. It was very obvious the Chiefs are having trouble selling the endzone club seats.

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby KCMax » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 am

Cities Paying The Most For Sports Teams

We're #10!

By 2010, Kansas City spent more than $700 million in public funds on renovating Arrowhead and Kauffman Stadiums, respective homes of the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals. Despite the update, the $255 million renovation of Kauffman Stadium in 2009 has not helped the Royals to boost attendance. The team has filled less than 60% of its seats for three years in a row–among the worst in Major League Baseball. But this was not even the most excessive use of taxpayer money for sports stadiums in the region. In 2007, the Sprint Center opened with the hope of attracting an NBA or NHL team. More than five years later, the stadium still does not have a team and both professional leagues have indicated to The Kansas City Star that expanding or moving teams to the area is unlikely.

herrfrank
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Truman Sports Complex

Postby herrfrank » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Just a note, as I don't see it referenced anywhere else on this site. Jack Steadman died on Sunday, July 5, 2015. He was a neighbor of my family growing up on Wenonga, and I have not seen anything in the Star about his death. But it's confirmed by the Steadman family.

Jack Steadman was Lamar Hunt's emissary in Kansas City -- basically running the Chiefs and Worlds (and later, Oceans) of Fun on behalf of the Hunt organization. He was born in Illinois and lived in Dallas before moving to Mission Hills in the 1960s.

herrfrank
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: TSC Renovations

Postby herrfrank » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Edited to add -- just did find a reference from the Star online. Steadman designed conceptually the Truman Sports Complex (Two arenas, one site).

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/ka ... 43746.html


Return to “Kansas City Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests