TSC Renovations

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: THE RENOVATIONS

Post by AllThingsKC »

I always try to find the positive in everything.  Maybe I'm too positive, but...

Even if the renovations vote would have failed, there was still no guarantee of a downtown ballpark.  (If the first 2 tries didn't include a downtown ballpark, what makes you think the 3rd try would have?)  If a downtown ballpark was the ONE thing that would help downtown development, I would say we are screwed now.  Happily, that is not the case.  There is plenty of development going on downtown (even though there could always be more).  So, even without a downtown ballpark, downtown may not be "perfect," but it shouldn't turn out to be bad at all.

In any event, Downtown is not dead.  If we can get the P&L District going strong, and if Dayton Moore can get the Royals going strong (as stated above), and if the Brigade start getting strong (in the Sprint Center, mind you), and if we get an NBA/NHL team going strong (also in the Sprint Center), and if the Chiefs stay strong, then downtown will be just fine.  I know that's a lot of "ifs," but any one of those can help the P&L district.  (Also, as stated above), the Royals/Chiefs Express could become more popular.

So, from the way I look at it:  Downtown will be just fine with or without a ballpark.  Perfect?  No. Enjoyable and a good place to be?  Yes.

Just my 2 cents.  :)
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Still think if the city wants to keep the TSC, they should have done the roof and something a bit more "sexy" with the TSC area to generate interest and, god forbid, economic development.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't know what kind of economic development there could possibly be.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

bahua wrote: I don't know what kind of economic development there could possibly be.
Hotels, residential, commercial, a little village of sorts.  There is plenty of room out there and adding a parking deck or two wouldn't hurt anybody if it was placed in the appropriate "high-end" parking areas.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, inside what is now the parking lot would be great. I don't think it would ever happen, so I was referring to the basically unwalkable zones on the periphery of the TSC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Not to mention that they would be entering the competition way too late in a very heated retail development market.  There are how many new/under construction/proposed mixed use retail and entertainment developments in this city?  Several dozen me thinks.  All of these other developments have a huge head start on competing for private capital and choice tenants, plus TSC comes with the added baggage of being located in a depressed neighborhood with a dismal retail track record. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Also, the TSC, not being an actual, real neighborhood, would be dead for most of the time, which would certainly make for some leeriness in investors.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the TSC may as well be in Columbia for all it does to add to the vibrancy of KCMO.  it is an island in a decaying 1950s suburb/forest.  :puke:
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

chrizow wrote: the TSC may as well be in Columbia for all it does to add to the vibrancy of KCMO.  it is an island in a decaying 1950s suburb/forest.   :puke:
yes, but it has a 450m shot in the arm coming. get over it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

kcdcchef wrote: yes, but it has a 450m shot in the arm coming. get over it.
A 450 million dollar flush down the toilet to the endless, bottomless pit of KC's notorious brainless harebrained screwups.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The AP is reporting that Safeco is going to be paid off four years early due to the booming restaurant and bar base that has come with the addition.  I wonder if all of the increased Chalupa sales at TSC will result in four years of relief for us JaCo taxpayers. 
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The AP is reporting that Safeco is going to be paid off four years early due to the booming restaurant and bar base that has come with the addition.  I wonder if all of the increased Chalupa sales at TSC will result in four years of relief for us JaCo taxpayers. 
Interesting fact from that story: While the SafeCo Field bonds will be paid off by 2013, the bonds for the Kingdome will not be paid off until 2016. That's a scary thought... the city will still be paying for a demolished stadium after its replacement has been paid for...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The AP is reporting that Safeco is going to be paid off four years early due to the booming restaurant and bar base that has come with the addition.  I wonder if all of the increased Chalupa sales at TSC will result in four years of relief for us JaCo taxpayers. 
I don't even think the renovation plan provides for the bonds being paid down early do they? I think any extra money goes into a discretionary fund for the county that can be used for maintenance but can also be used for any projects in the county the commission deems necessary. I could be wrong about that.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Maybe the Camaroheads will pick up some more Levi Garrett or Copenhagen at the Conoco after they crush a few chalupas.  That could really send revenues through the roof.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

To change the subject alittle.

Hopefully the Chiefs will correct a mistake made awhile back.  When they proposed Arrowhead for the World Cup games held in the US back in '94 it was discovered that there is not enough space in the corners for a World Cup regulation soccer field.  The US will get the World Cup again and just think of what the KC area would look like with all of the tourists, American and foreign, in the area for two or three weeks.  This would be bigger than the Super Bowl or a political convention.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

Good post AKP. The World Cup in KC would be huge. Our central location helps out a lot. Hopefully we'd have a regional transit system in place by then if it happens.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AKP, did the roof failure have any effect on this possibility?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

NO.  Rain or shine they play.  They just need a field that meets their requirements.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I don't see the World Cup returning to the US during the life of the Arrowhead.  Every four years and we just had it in the 90's?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator