TSC Renovations

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: TSC Renovations

Post by mykem »

It's not a retro stadium. The Twins coin it as being a cosmopolitan style stadium.
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

I am glad they did not use the tired brick.  Stadium looks nice, nothing about it though really differentiates it from the others, though not sure what you could do on that.

I still think long term they will regret not picking a site that could handle a rolling roof.  They have aknowledged their weather somewhat with heaters and the open flame out at their bud bar.

Greg
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

With the superbowl going to cold weather dome-less jersey meadowlands, will KC finally get a chance also?
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

moderne wrote: With the superbowl going to cold weather dome-less jersey meadowlands, will KC finally get a chance also?
no hotel space, unless a cruise ship could fit in the river
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Hotel space not an issue when NFL promised superbowl if JaxCo put dome on Arrowhead.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

While driving past Kauffman stadium, I noticed the giant "Tide" logos.  Those, with the giant Hy-Vee logo, make the whole stadium look tacky.
KC is the way to be!
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

AllThingsKC wrote: While driving past Kauffman stadium, I noticed the giant "Tide" logos.  Those, with the giant Hy-Vee logo, make the whole stadium look tacky.
Couldn't agree more.  Along with the "Call your service man from AB May" jingle playing in the 7th inning stretch.  That's just embarrasing.
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

A good read.  Part of this was in Ball Star on kansascity.com

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... le1579351/

Greg
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

gsmith601 wrote: A good read.  Part of this was in Ball Star on kansascity.com

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... le1579351/

Greg
The only real negative he listed:
Let me get this out of the way, because I still don't quite understand it: there is no public transit option to Kauffman Stadium. The bus service, the Royals Express, has - get this - been discontinued since February 2009. And the ballpark isn't downtown. It's southeast of the city, part of Kansas City, Missouri's Truman Sports Complex, where the NFL's  Chiefs play, along with the Royals. (Which means there's nothing around the ballpark. So if you're heading out early, have a cooler and grill ready to go, along with all your other tailgating necessities.) Depending on traffic, it'll take you between 10 and 20 minutes from downtown, and a cab will cost you between $20 and $25. Each way.

Kansas City, Missouri, what's the deal? It's 2010. We're living in a day and age where metropolises everywhere are increasing public transit options in hopes of getting people out of their cars. And you've cancelled the bus route to your sports complex, which hosts thousands of people at least 88 times a year? Fail.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

KCATA won't even answer my emails any longer.  It's just sad now.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

That would be perfect use for the stupid KC Strip money.  :x
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

In a way, I guess you could say is. Weren't the Chiefs / Royals Express buses like $15, too?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

The author pointed out the one negative thing about the renovations that frankly I thought should have been addressed. I thought Populous should have found a way in the budget to have done some thing with the exposed concrete. There is still too much of it! That goes for Arrowhead as well!
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I wonder if they have found a corporate sponsor for the stadium naming rights yet? Here is the latest pictures of the on going renovations.

http://www.jcsca.org/new/padmin/UserFil ... -FINAL.pdf
kcmokid
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmokid »

Went to the Royals game last night and Arrowhead is looking pretty good!  All of the construction fencing is down, most of the plantings are in, signage is up on the outside and around stadium, jumbo video screens installed above the entrances, the old concrete circular ramps are wrapped in red chiefs graphics... overall it is looking pretty slick.  Anybody going to the Wizards/Manchester U game next Sunday?  Be sure to take some pictures!
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I guess Arrowhead Stadium will be complete Thursday as the Chiefs will take state VIPs on a tour. Then on Friday the Chiefs will do the Media tour of the stadium.
I think the stadium will get some pretty good reviews from local, and national media. I'm still a little iffy on the overall design of the stadium. That tower on the southside of the stadium reminds me of Giants Stadium which they just finished tearing down because it was obsolete. I do, however like the fact that the bottom portion of the tower will be accessible from the southside upper deck.
Kind of curious to see what the final price tag will be for the Arrowhead renovation. Kauffman Stadium's renovation price tag is still climbing at $272 million which is 8.5% over the original $250 million budget.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/23/21 ... l-new.html

The Star has a photo gallary up from the media tour.  Looks like they have added a heck of a lot of details since I was out there last year. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Heard a bit of the reviews on 810 and 610 today. 810 - the one now contractually tied to the Chiefs - was gushing over the renovations. 610 said they were okay. No surprise. Sounds like the concourses are pretty nice - radiant heating and flatscreen TVs for when its cold out.

Nick Wright also said that Clark Hunt was open to selling naming rights, but there was nothing in the works as of yet.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Two modernist stadiums built by visionaries 40 years ago, now updated to looks even better, but like they we planned that way all along. I would say those old architects from the 40's did a hell of a job.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I think the stadium is going over well with the media. The things I have read say how they love how the Chiefs have incorporated the new with the old. The graphic art that was done by Echo Artz (if I remember correctly) is very well done. That alone will win brownie points with both the media, and the fans.