TSC Renovations

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: TSC Renovations

Post by WSPanic »

KansasCityCraka wrote: We don't have an owner that will spend 1 billion $ to build an amazing stadium.
Or 105K people willing to go see the Chiefs play.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

WSPanic wrote: Or 105K people willing to go see the Chiefs play.
The Chiefs Are still the only team in the NFL with season ticket holders in the contiguous 48 states....and have still sold out 250+ games in a stadium seating 75,000+

105,000 seats really isn't what it seems...hell, even the University of Michigan can fill 100,000+ seats on a regular basis.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KansasCityCraka wrote: We don't have an owner that will spend 1 billion $ to build an amazing stadium.
It wouldn't be smart in a small market like KC to build something that big. KC surely would not be able to fill in 300 luxury suites, and may be on a really good year the Chiefs might be able to rack in 100,000 spectators for one game, or so.
Jerry Jones is a very motivated owner, he said he could have built cowboys stadium for $800 million, but he wanted to add the wow factor into the stadium.
As for some of the amenities that are in cowboys stadium; I don't think you could add them to Arrowhead stadium if you wanted to, because the stadium's footprint is too small. Example, from seating bowl edge running endzone to endzone in Arrowhead is a little over 600 feet vs. over 900 feet in cowboys stadium. Now southside of arrowhead from spiral ramp to spiral ramp is around 600 to 650 vs. over 1030 feet at cowboys stadium. The new Arrowhead will be 1.62 million sq feet vs. over 3 million sq feet for cowboys stadium, nearly twice the size.
Point is, that in order to have something comparable to cowboys stadium would've required to build new, and with both teams needing something done it would've been very difficult to have persuaded the voters/taxpayers for that kind of loot.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Anyone see the renovated Arrowhead? Is it much different? Kietzman was saying it pretty much looks the same with wider concourses and shorter bathroom lines. I don't expect the Cowboys Stadium, but I'm wondering what they spent that $200 mill on.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: I don't expect the Cowboys Stadium, but I'm wondering what they spent that $200 mill on.
Probably suites and other things for rich and famous people.  Things that the average fan won't see.
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

im2kull wrote: The Chiefs Are still the only team in the NFL with season ticket holders in the contiguous 48 states....and have still sold out 250+ games in a stadium seating 75,000+

105,000 seats really isn't what it seems...hell, even the University of Michigan can fill 100,000+ seats on a regular basis.
It's a good think the seats are red.  The stadium looked about 75% full on TV.  I saw the official att was 69k for the home opener against the Raiders.  Who bought the tickets up?

I don't think the bowl of the stadium should change. It's unique and should stay the same since they didn't build new.

KC REALLY missed out on the "wow" factor and many chances to for national exposure by not building the rolling roof though.  Plus, the areas around and between the stadiums is still a joke.  That space between the stadiums could be something so cool (even a plaza or open space with giant footballs and baseballs where tourists would go to take photos of the stadiums and themselves.  Instead it's a parking lot.

OH, and KC has to be the only city with ZERO transit to its ballparks.  That's embarrassing.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Plus, the areas around and between the stadiums is still a joke.  That space between the stadiums could be something so cool.  Instead it's a parking lot.
An arena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: An arena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no way.  the arena belongs downtown.  mr knowledge, you should also know that an arena would not work there logistically (event scheduling, parking etc).

I have always thought a nice hotel would be neat there, but at the very least, a nice public space.  No way did I think they would have maintained that parking lot.  It would have been nice had JaCo stepped in and insisted on a few aesthetic improvements outside the concourses (or done it themselves).

Still, saying no to a superbowl, final four and possibly even the mlb all star game is just stupid and KC did that by not doing more with the complex.  I don?t think anybody outside a 50 mile radius of KC even knows the stadiums have been remodeled.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: The stadium looked about 75% full on TV.  I saw the official att was 69k for the home opener against the Raiders.  Who bought the tickets up?
CBS.

Why ese do you think I keep saying that a 100k+ seat stadium would be easy to fill up*, even in a small market like ours?  Why do you think the Chiefs (and virtually every other NFL team) has had sellout* streaks over the last 8 years?  Why?

Because the major tv broadcasting corporations (CBS, ABC, Fox) buy up all the extra tickets to keep the games from being black'd out.  The amount of Ad revenue they would lose by not buying the unsold tickets to a game is easily more than they lose by buying the tickets and keeping the game televised in its hometown market.

*by measuring tickets sold, not actual game attendance.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I don't think the bowl of the stadium should change. It's unique and should stay the same since they didn't build new.

Don't worry it's not! And your right about the rolling roof it should be built, and still could be. No it's not Cowboy Stadium, but I think it was renovated to be comparable to places like Invesco Field, Heinz Field, Lambeau Field, etc, etc. Anything more would have required drastic changes to the configuration of the seating bowl, or a totally new stadium.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: no way.  the arena belongs downtown.  mr knowledge, you should also know that an arena would not work there logistically (event scheduling, parking etc).
Just having some fun.

Anyway, would there be some logistical problems if an arena was there?  Yes, there would be but then those problems are just opportunities to succeed.  And the number of conflicts would be managable.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: That space between the stadiums could be something so cool (even a plaza or open space with giant footballs and baseballs where tourists would go to take photos of the stadiums and themselves.  Instead it's a parking lot
Completely agree with your entire post. I coulda sworn they were supposed to make the area between the two stadiums a nice public space? Or maybe that was only when they were doing the rolling roof. Tis a shame, that could at least be one thing for the fans that would improve OUR experience.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Anyone see the renovated Arrowhead? Is it much different? Kietzman was saying it pretty much looks the same with wider concourses and shorter bathroom lines. I don't expect the Cowboys Stadium, but I'm wondering what they spent that $200 mill on.
Posted a review a page or two back during the preseason. 

Kietz is right - from the seating areas there is very little different visually beyond the new skybox thing.  Most of the noticible improvement is in the concourse and if you hadn't been out there in a lot of years, that might not even register with you. 

One thing I was disapointed in - they added new HD boards in the arroweheads, but they only wind up using a tiny portion of the frame.  I assume it is because of the oval shape, but they only put video in a small circle in the middle and most of the board is black with some tacky ads on the side.  It doesn't compare well to all the new boards at all.  If they wanted to keep the oval/football shape, perhaps they should have just built the frame in that shape around a rectangular screen. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Glass and Hunt funding the 80mil for the rolling roof would have been a great way to say think you to the city county for funding their stadiums. Plus it would have been a great revenue stream for them both. However, I don't think Glass ever though the renovations would pass, in my opinion, I think he was hoping it would fail.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

shinatoo wrote: Glass and Hunt funding the 80mil for the rolling roof would have been a great way to say think you to the city county for funding their stadiums. Plus it would have been a great revenue stream for them both. However, I don't think Glass ever though the renovations would pass, in my opinion, I think he was hoping it would fail.
How about spending more $$$ on the teams themselves....BETTER PLAYERS!!!!  Until that happens, i could care less about both mediocre teams.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

zonk wrote: mediocre teams.
:roll:  That's mighty generous of you.  :) :(
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They really need to bring back some form of the ring of honor...electronic doesn't do it for me.  Make the top ring just numbers and initials or something to get everybody on there.......I know there is a Hall of Fame building coming but the ring is awesome...bring it back.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I haven't been to the "new" Arrowhead yet but isn't there still a significant amount of construction left?  Would judging Arrowhead now be akin to judging the reno'd Kauffman a year ago, when the only major change was the scoreboard and construction?

I don't know the answer, obviously, but I have high hopes for Arrowhead, especially after the success we've seen across the lot at the K.  Having visited the new Cowboys Stadium, I hope Populous is able to capture even a fraction of that stadium's bling factor...wide, shiny concourses, a sweet HOF, Arrowhead Pride dripping from every corner...
are we spinning free?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

rxlexi wrote: I haven't been to the "new" Arrowhead yet but isn't there still a significant amount of construction left?  Would judging Arrowhead now be akin to judging the reno'd Kauffman a year ago, when the only major change was the scoreboard and construction?
Arrowhead is much further along then the K was at that stage.  The main things that aren't done at Arrowhead are the sky box (which most fans will never see), the entrance gates, and the hall of fame.  What you see in the seating bowl and concourses is pretty much what you get. 
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

GRID wrote: It's a good think the seats are red.  The stadium looked about 75% full on TV.  I saw the official att was 69k for the home opener against the Raiders.  Who bought the tickets up?

KC REALLY missed out on the "wow" factor and many chances to for national exposure by not building the rolling roof though.  Plus, the areas around and between the stadiums is still a joke.  That space between the stadiums could be something so cool (even a plaza or open space with giant footballs and baseballs where tourists would go to take photos of the stadiums and themselves.  Instead it's a parking lot.

OH, and KC has to be the only city with ZERO transit to its ballparks.  That's embarrassing.
Maybe since the Bannister project is not going to make it to fruition, perhaps maybe the city, county, and the teams could work out a deal so they could do a Patriots Place type entertainment, and retail development at the TSC between the stadiums. Maybe they could find a way to fund the rolling roof as well. If I remember correctly, I think the original idea for the hall of fames for both teams were to be placed in a common area in a entertainment area outside of the stadiums.