TSC Renovations

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: TSC Renovations

Post by MidtownCat »

mykem wrote: I think the stadium is going over well with the media. The things I have read say how they love how the Chiefs have incorporated the new with the old. The graphic art that was done by Echo Artz (if I remember correctly) is very well done. That alone will win brownie points with both the media, and the fans.
Populous was responsible for the graphics as well.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

MidtownCat wrote: Populous was responsible for the graphics as well.

Yeah, I think there might have been some others also. Anyways, populous did a wonderful job.

On a couple of side notes, I did see a photo taken that showed an area of the stadium that was still being worked on. Time Warner Cable will be the sponsor of the Hall of Honor.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Any specifics?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KC, and hunt dreaming of a super bowl.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/31/21 ... .html   

I heard the commish giving Green Bay the exact same excuse (infrastructure, hotel space, etc, etc). I think it's his politically correct way of saying NO.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Any review of the new Arrowhead? They sure indoctrinated Brad Nessler last night. If he says "new body, same soul" one more time, I think I'm going to puke.

But some of the historic exhibits looked pretty cool on TV.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I thought it was pretty funny that it rained on the first game in the "new" stadium.  Where is the rolling roof when you need it.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

lock+load wrote: I thought it was pretty funny that it rained on the first game in the "new" stadium.  Where is the rolling roof when you need it.
In a dome Phillip Rivers might well have put up 41 points on us.  And I suspect most of those fans wouldn't have traded a little bit of comfort for that outcome. 
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

lock+load wrote: I thought it was pretty funny that it rained on the first game in the "new" stadium.  Where is the rolling roof when you need it.
Could they have even rolled it in on time since it rained earlier than expected if it was there?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think they did a great job. I believe Arrowhead is well on its way to be one of the NFL iconic stadiums behind lambeau. Think about it, the NFL doesn't have as many great historic stadiums like mlb does. Arrowhead could be one of these facilities for the NFL.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Stadium looked awesome on TV.  They said it was only 71k, but sold out?  Does it seat that much less?

Too bad the game started so late and the first game went long.  I'm sure few outside of KC and SD switched over to ESPN2 to catch the opening of the game which showed some of the best shots of the stadium.  Then I doubt many people east of StL or Denver for that matter even watched the game as late as it was.

Next time KC might get an actual prime time monday night game.

But it was nice to see the fans in KC come out.  I think the fans were 80% of the reason KC won that game.  They make a difference.  They need to show up and get into the game again.

Hopefully this is a turning point game for KC much like that Buffalo Monday Night game back in the early 90's.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

GRID wrote: Stadium looked awesome on TV.  They said it was only 71k, but sold out?  Does it seat that much less?

Too bad the game started so late and the first game went long.  I'm sure few outside of KC and SD switched over to ESPN2 to catch the opening of the game which showed some of the best shots of the stadium.  Then I doubt many people east of StL or Denver for that matter even watched the game as late as it was.

Next time KC might get an actual prime time monday night game.

But it was nice to see the fans in KC come out.  I think the fans were 80% of the reason KC won that game.  They make a difference.  They need to show up and get into the game again.

Hopefully this is a turning point game for KC much like that Buffalo Monday Night game back in the early 90's.
Yeah, not to be snarky, but I think Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelley, and Andre Reed had a bit more to do with the Bill's success than did the MNF appearance. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KC-wildcat wrote: Yeah, not to be snarky, but I think Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelley, and Andre Reed had a bit more to do with the Bill's success than did the MNF appearance. 
Huh?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I thought the stadium was awesome! I did not like the Hall of Honor on the concourse though. I'm sure cost factored into the decision to do it that way. A good example the Chiefs could have followed (if cost would have allowed) was The Hall at Patriot Place where the Patriots' Hall of Fame is. It was built seperate from the stadium, but still connected.
Overall though, Arrowhead looked great! I was there during the night practice on Aug. 25th. I loved the Tower! I thought when it was designed it was going to be to high from the field to see anything, but it was ok. The enviromental graphics are the best I've seen anywhere relating to sports, you knew you were in Arrowhead! The Architecture was awesome, although I still would have like to have seen less concrete remain. I think this stadium will be the best stadium in the NFL on just a football level.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mykem wrote: I thought the stadium was awesome! I did not like the Hall of Honor on the concourse though. I'm sure cost factored into the decision to do it that way. A good example the Chiefs could have followed (if cost would have allowed) was The Hall at Patriot Place where the Patriots' Hall of Fame is. It was built seperate from the stadium, but still connected.
Overall though, Arrowhead looked great! I was there during the night practice on Aug. 25th. I loved the Tower! I thought when it was designed it was going to be to high from the field to see anything, but it was ok. The enviromental graphics are the best I've seen anywhere relating to sports, you knew you were in Arrowhead! The Architecture was awesome, although I still would have like to have seen less concrete remain. I think this stadium will be the best stadium in the NFL on just a football level.
So I assume the Hall of Honor is only open on gamedays?

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCMax wrote: So I assume the Hall of Honor is only open on gamedays?
The one beyond LF?  Yes, it is.  And, it has windows facing the field so you can keep track of the game while touring.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

StL_Dan wrote: The one beyond LF?  Yes, it is.  And, it has windows facing the field so you can keep track of the game while touring.
LF= Left Field? I'm talking about Arrowhead.

mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KCMax wrote: LF= Left Field? I'm talking about Arrowhead.
I don't think you can just go to the Hall of Honor on any given day. I think you have to buy a stadium tour, or be with some sort of field trip group in order to see the Hall of Honor on non game days. The Hall of Honor is very nice, but it would have been better IMO if they could have built it separate from the concourse but still within the confines of Arrowhead.
On a side note, I watched the Chiefs vs. 49Er's game on tv here in Cali. It was very obvious the Chiefs are having trouble selling the endzone club seats.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cities Paying The Most For Sports Teams

We're #10!
By 2010, Kansas City spent more than $700 million in public funds on renovating Arrowhead and Kauffman Stadiums, respective homes of the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals. Despite the update, the $255 million renovation of Kauffman Stadium in 2009 has not helped the Royals to boost attendance. The team has filled less than 60% of its seats for three years in a row–among the worst in Major League Baseball. But this was not even the most excessive use of taxpayer money for sports stadiums in the region. In 2007, the Sprint Center opened with the hope of attracting an NBA or NHL team. More than five years later, the stadium still does not have a team and both professional leagues have indicated to The Kansas City Star that expanding or moving teams to the area is unlikely.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Truman Sports Complex

Post by herrfrank »

Just a note, as I don't see it referenced anywhere else on this site. Jack Steadman died on Sunday, July 5, 2015. He was a neighbor of my family growing up on Wenonga, and I have not seen anything in the Star about his death. But it's confirmed by the Steadman family.

Jack Steadman was Lamar Hunt's emissary in Kansas City -- basically running the Chiefs and Worlds (and later, Oceans) of Fun on behalf of the Hunt organization. He was born in Illinois and lived in Dallas before moving to Mission Hills in the 1960s.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Edited to add -- just did find a reference from the Star online. Steadman designed conceptually the Truman Sports Complex (Two arenas, one site).

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/ka ... 43746.html