GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Wonder if that was a reason, among others, the Royals didn't make a big effort to retain him.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Wonder if that was a reason, among others, the Royals didn't make a big effort to retain him.
I doubt it. Other players love him and think he's a just a hilarious, fratty, duder.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if he says stuff that is funny to him and possible others but it comes off as being an asshole
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Baseball Prospectus now has us at 8.6% to make the playoffs. Would be nice if Cleveland and Detroit would stumble a little bit though.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Billy Butler released by the A's. So the A's are on the hook for $10,000,000 next year so a team could pick him up for the minimum salary of $500,000 for next year. Which team will bite?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

None.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I could see Texas, Seattle, and the Mets going after him

It seems like Butler's career has been in a freefall ever since Cano snubbed him in the Home Run Derby and it was probably a good call on Cano's part. Trumbo is leading the league in HR this year and Butler is out of baseball.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I could see Texas, Seattle, and the Mets going after him

It seems like Butler's career has been in a freefall ever since Cano snubbed him in the Home Run Derby and it was probably a good call on Cano's part. Trumbo is leading the league in HR this year and Butler is out of baseball.
I hope I sign a guaranteed $30M contract as my career begins to freefall.

Seriously though, he had a career year in 2012 - and a pretty damn good 2013. Even 2014 wasn't terrible.

Anyway, I'm glad Cano got blasted by KC fans at the HR Derby and dropped a goose egg. I don't care if Trumbo was a "better choice". It's an exhibition.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WSPanic wrote:Anyway, I'm glad Cano got blasted by KC fans at the HR Derby and dropped a goose egg.
This has to rank fairly high on the Most Amusing KC Events of 2012 list.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I think this season played out a little more like everyone expected had last season also played out as expected on paper. Two World Series appearances, one championship, and 4 straight seasons at .500 or better... pretty solid turnaround. I don't generally agree with the approach of Yost and DMGM, but I can't argue with the results. Let's hope the moon shot left us a solid foundation that can be enhanced over the next few years. Probably some big, unpopular decisions on the horizon, but DMGM and Yost have stuck with some guys way past when I would have kept them around. My favorite past time of criticizing those guys, even into the 2014 playoffs, has been put on hold while I give them the credit such success deserves. If they can bring this team back to the World Series in the next few years, I will absolutely know it is more than just lightning in a bottle.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

At 81 wins this season the Royals were not that far from the playoffs - needed at least 89 wins - and hopefully those in charge won't think the team just needs just a little bit here and a little bit there. A right fielder with AVE and some power is needed. A 2nd baseman in needed. And let's throw in some starting pitching. Also needed is the real Alex Gordon (hopefully the 2016 version isn't real). Not sure how this year's injuries compare to those in the past but I think it has been some time to have the team lose a field player for most of the season.
They have enough talent for the team to be respectable but some serious steps need to be taken, along with some luck, to get back into the playoffs next year.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

This season, the Royals moved from #10 to #17 in ERA, from #11 to #23 in OBP, and #10 to #23 in OPS. That'll do it. The Royals have been able to grow some decent and cheap offense internally, but the pitching is what really concerns me. I'd be looking at any and all trade scenarios that would load the organization up with near and long-term pitching. There will be a lot of turnover after next season, and there is a lot of money tied up next season that won't be the following year (like a $65 million drop in committed payroll). Still, I'd rather not be in a bidding war with someone else on the free agent market.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If you told me we would have those kind of drops before season started I would have said we were a 73 win team.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote:This season, the Royals moved from #10 to #17 in ERA, from #11 to #23 in OBP, and #10 to #23 in OPS. That'll do it. The Royals have been able to grow some decent and cheap offense internally, but the pitching is what really concerns me. I'd be looking at any and all trade scenarios that would load the organization up with near and long-term pitching. There will be a lot of turnover after next season, and there is a lot of money tied up next season that won't be the following year (like a $65 million drop in committed payroll). Still, I'd rather not be in a bidding war with someone else on the free agent market.
Long term, I would agree, but for this off-season, I'm way more concerned about the offense. The most important number in my opinion is dropping from #7 to #23 in runs scored. I really think we need to make an effort to improve that next season, but with a payroll decrease likely, I'm not sure what we can do.

The rotation should be passable next year with one additional Volquez-type signing. Kennedy, Ventura, Duffy and Vargas are pretty much locks for the rotation. I also offer Kendrys Morales a 2 or 3 yr deal.

Some guys are just going to have to go. Dayton's done a good job building a base, but it seems like we have a lot of guys with similar skills/values - Cain/Orlando, Dyson/Burns/Gore, Cuthbert/Moustakas, Colon/Merrifield, Mondesi/Escobar.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

The problem comes when you end up with people that have slowly fading skillsets. Management loves to stick with guys, but this is a tough business in that a slight degradation in a few players can cost a number of games. Love or hate WAR, there is a reason why it is based around "replacement" level. We always have to take a look at what we are actually getting in quality for the money. They made a great decision with Billy Butler, as difficult as it was, and they probably have some similar choices upcoming.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

We've locked up a lot of the core in this team with Salvy, Gordon and most of the rotation. The players that you will lose after this season and can get something for would be:

Lorenzo Cain: We are much better with him in the lineup. Unfortunately, I worry that he's an injury risk and also could fade with age.
Eric Hosmer: I don't think he's reached his potential. Of course, I don't really think he wants to spend the rest of his playing days in Kansas City.
Mike Moustakas: Injury hurts his value a bit so probably stays with the team. I could see him sign a longer term contract.
Wade Davis: Best closer in baseball. I'd think he would be a good trade piece, especially if Strohm is as good as he looked and Herrera can fill the closer role.
Alcides Escobar: I don't know if you'd get much for him and not sure Mondesi is ready for everyday duty.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't understand how Zobrist was the MVP, he really didn't do a whole lot this entire series. I thought Bryant was hands down the MVP, his hitting really seemed to spark the team in game 5 and his gutsy tag from 3rd helped them win this game.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

He did hit .357 in the series and drove in a huge run in extra innings of game 7. I didn't watch enough of the rest of the series to have an opinion on if anyone else deserved it. Bryant hit .269? I realize BA isn't everything, but that is a pretty large difference.