GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mean »

Regular season rainouts don't matter. Frankly, postseason rainouts don't matter either, but people are butthurt about this tonight so in some minor way it "matters" right at the moment. It won't matter in the least once the games have actually been played and the Royals are, or are not, heading to the World Series.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

mean wrote:Regular season rainouts don't matter. Frankly, postseason rainouts don't matter either, but people are butthurt about this tonight so in some minor way it "matters" right at the moment. It won't matter in the least once the games have actually been played and the Royals are, or are not, heading to the World Series.
All very good points. I just feel bad for those who can not attend tomorrow's game. Of course, they bought tickets to the game, not the date or time. Still, it's a problem that could have been avoided.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AllThingsKC wrote:
mean wrote:Regular season rainouts don't matter. Frankly, postseason rainouts don't matter either, but people are butthurt about this tonight so in some minor way it "matters" right at the moment. It won't matter in the least once the games have actually been played and the Royals are, or are not, heading to the World Series.
All very good points. I just feel bad for those who can not attend tomorrow's game. Of course, they bought tickets to the game, not the date or time. Still, it's a problem that could have been avoided.
If it made sense from a money perspective, the Hunts an the Glasses would have ponied up for it themselves after the election. Even if it didn't, it would have been the least they could do for JaxCo.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The storm's supposed to be over by 2 am. They could have gotten the game in.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

In other fun news, Kyle Zimmer is finally back after missing most of the season to injury and dominated the AFL tonight -- 5 IP 0 ER 2 H 1 BB 11 K.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chaglang wrote:The storm's supposed to be over by 2 am. They could have gotten the game in.
It would have been a perfect time Sung Woo
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

phuqueue wrote:I've never been to a rainout before -- do they not reimburse you for parking?
They don't reimburse you, but you get a "rain check" to use for parking at another game.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Looking at rolling roof plans for the TSC I came across this 1968 plan for the Pontiac Silver Dome that died because of lack of interest from the Tigers.

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

also never knew about the "KC Space Needle" that Lamar Hunt wanted to build.

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I don't want to alarm anyone but this might actually happen
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

If the Royals lose the World Series, do we fire Yost? Is the season a disaster? Are the Royals turd birds?
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Please. Whatever you think of his coaching style, the guy has a plan and does not deviate from it. Look at the success. I believe the Royals will win, but if they don't, I will be ok with it. The Royals have proven they can play with the big boys and Yost has had a hand in all of it. I have to say I'm so proud of this team, regardless of what happens. GO ROYALS!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote:If the Royals lose the World Series, do we fire Yost? Is the season a disaster? Are the Royals turd birds?
I assume you want us to trade/release all of our player immediately because you said the following during the season?
5 runs, 16 hits, still lose the game.

Every. Single. Royal. Sucks.

The Royals won 8 games last May. CAN THEY WIN 1 THIS YEAR?
Let's see how many times we can get the bases loaded and not score.
And, of course, my personal favorite from the playoff run last season....
FIRE
YOST
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The rolling roof passed with the original bond election. It was not built as the cost estimates for the complex were too low and a big construction strike added to the woes. It was not only going to be used to cover the stadiums in inclement weather, but the area now parking between the stadiums was to be used as an exposition esplanade. Would have been a good spot for the AmRoyal BBQ--protected from rain but open enough for the smoke to ventilate. The space needle was to be a 400 footer.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

WSPanic wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:If the Royals lose the World Series, do we fire Yost? Is the season a disaster? Are the Royals turd birds?
I assume you want us to trade/release all of our player immediately because you said the following during the season?
5 runs, 16 hits, still lose the game.

Every. Single. Royal. Sucks.

The Royals won 8 games last May. CAN THEY WIN 1 THIS YEAR?
Let's see how many times we can get the bases loaded and not score.
And, of course, my personal favorite from the playoff run last season....
FIRE
YOST
To be fair, all of the statements you pointed out (and including the one you responded to) were tongue in cheek. That's not to say I didn't make any "doomsday" posts over the past year or so. Heck, I was wondering if we should have fired Yost in the 6th inning of the Wildcard game. But for what it's worth, most of my posts including the ones you've mentioned were satire.

If we make the World Series and lose, I will still joking say something like fire Yost or the season was a failure. In reality, Yost fully won my support when he got us to the playoffs, if not before that. For me, that was the measuring stick for him this year.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I know you're kidding (I knew before, but also you just confirmed it as I was writing this post), but to answer seriously, there's no way Yost is going anywhere, no matter what happens in the World Series, no matter what happens next year. I gotta think Yost's job at this point is safe until, at the very least, 2016 and he's only in danger then if we're absolutely putrid from here on out, like we lose more than 100 games next year and there's mutiny in the clubhouse, the team has completely quit on him, and we're still just as bad in June the next year. And given that the players seem to be pretty fond of him, and given that this is not a 100-loss team without a remarkable and sustained run of horrible luck, neither of those things looks particularly likely.

And I answered seriously cuz I came in anyway to post this thing Joe Pos wrote about Yost: http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/better-off-ned/ I certainly haven't become a Yost apologist, but Pos is always an interesting read.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Love the last part of the article:
Ned Yost’s strategies often don’t make sense. His explanations often make even less. There are many people who worry that Yost’s biggest blunder is yet to come and it will come at a particularly inopportune time in these playoffs. But those are just worries. There are a hundred anonymous quotes I could share from people around baseball about Yost’s managerial temperament and competence. But, maybe that’s the point. Those comments are anonymous and off-the-record.

Meanwhile, on-the-record, the Kansas City Royals are having a glorious and wonderful season that is not yet close to ending. Some time ago, Ned Yost was asked why he stuck with third baseman Mike Moustakas, a big prospect who had been struggling badly.

“You know what,” he said irritably, “maybe when we get home I can go to the third base tree and pick another third baseman … there is no third baseman tree. You don’t go grab another one. You let him develop.”

Moustakas had another tough year. He was actually sent to the minors for a while. But, he has been Babe Ruth in this postseason. He has four home runs, two of them directly deciding games. And maybe there’s a lesson there. Ned Yost may not get everything right. He may make fans and media types shake our heads too often. But his Royals are winning for the first time in a generation. And there is no manager’s tree.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Just mind boggling.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

it's so hard to believe. in the world series without even losing a game. what a bullpen closing out these games. incredible. so pumped.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Throughout the season I believed the Royals would make the playoffs. But making to the World Series I thought was a very long shot, and without losing a game impossible. After living through '76, '77 and '78 I wasn't holding my breath.

Congrats to the players, coaches, manager, GM, scouts, and everyone else.