GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by KC-wildcat »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:I'd rather miss the playoffs with Will Myers in the system than miss the playoffs with Shields.
Are you being sarcastic, or are you agreeing with a fucking moron?
The issue is whether making the playoffs is validation for the trade. The answer is absolutely, unequivocally, resoundingly, YES. The playoffs is validation for this trade made by this franchise. This is the benchmark. Surely, this isn't the benchmark for all franchises. But, the Royals aren't like all franchises. We haven't been to the playoffs in 30 years. Even the lowly Brewers have been to the playoffs twice in the past 5 years.

DM, who's in his 7th year, didn't trade his top prospect for Shields with an eye toward flipping Shields for more prospects. DM, who hasn't assembled a .500 team in 7 years, is under pressure to win right now, at all costs. He will be fired if he doesn't make the playoffs with Shields.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Do people realize that 33% of the teams Major League Baseball now make the post-season?

If our franchise and city will be complacent with being the 10th best team in baseball for one season, it is no small wonder people treat us like a minor league city.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

bobbyhawks wrote:Do people realize that 33% of the teams Major League Baseball now make the post-season?

If our franchise and city will be complacent with being the 10th best team in baseball for one season, it is no small wonder people treat us like a minor league city.
In an ideal world, a playoff appearance is just a blip on the radar.

But we don't live in an ideal world. The Royals' reality is 30 years of futility. Bad ownership, bad management, bad player personnel, bad luck, and even bad marketing ("our time").

Our best team in a decade is below .500.

context. perspective. If we were the Cards, I wouldn't be content with a playoff appearance. We're not the Cards. We're the fucking Royals.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:Do people realize that 33% of the teams Major League Baseball now make the post-season?

You still have to win about 88-90 games to make the playoffs. That's pretty hard. The playoffs are kind of a crapshoot (as said often by Billy Beane), so I don't know how much a GM can ensure post-season success. You put your team in a position to make the playoffs. The rest is up to your players and manager.

If the Royals make the playoffs in the next two years, the trade makes some sense, although I'm not sure you can completely say it validates the trade. Myers may have given them a better shot at winning than Shields, we'll never really know.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:You still have to win about 88-90 games to make the playoffs. That's pretty hard.
Have to disagree with that one, and "hard for the Royals" is no excuse. 7 games above .500, or .543, is not some crazy, magical season. Heck, 84 games won the AL West in 2008, and 85 won the AL Central in 2007. We need to stop using the Royals past suckage as a justification for future suckage. There never has been a good excuse for enduring futility, and there never will be.
KCMax wrote:If the Royals make the playoffs in the next two years, the trade makes some sense, although I'm not sure you can completely say it validates the trade.
This is a fairer way of saying than I have stated in the past, but I agree.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

These next two games against Clevland are going to be very important for Dayton's future in Kansas City. If they get swept by the Indians, are 6 under .500 at the break and 9 out they will be firmly in a selling mode and in no position to make the playoffs this season.

Here's hoping we don't Royals this up and shit our pants here.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Holland slips into the ASG according to Dutton.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Not as bizarre as the Chiefs sending six guys to the Pro Bowl last year
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

The Royals are such a shit show.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Big ups to Dayton, though.

At the 2012 All-Star Break last year the Royals were 10 games below .500 & 9.5 games out of 1st.

In 2013, we traded one of the best young hitters in the game for a two year rent a player pitcher to compete for the playoffs immediately and we sit at the break 6 games below .500 and 8 out of 1st.

Tremendous progress.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

MidtownCat wrote:Big ups to Dayton, though.

At the 2012 All-Star Break last year the Royals were 10 games below .500 & 9.5 games out of 1st.

In 2013, we traded one of the best young hitters in the game for a two year rent a player pitcher to compete for the playoffs immediately and we sit at the break 6 games below .500 and 8 out of 1st.

Tremendous progress.
$22 million bucks and some prospects will net you a +4 WAR between Shields and Santana (to date). Too bad Wade Davis, as part of the Myers trade, takes that net +4 down to a +2.2. By this measure, the Royals would still be better than last year without either Shields or Santana, assuming Davis would not be here either and that the Royals weren't going to do something very Royals and pitch sub-replacement level Hochevar as a starter again. That is a lot of cash to spend for a projected net of ~4 games better on the season (or maybe just a lot for the Royals). Davis to the pen would help that net go up, though.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

So, now that that the Royals are out of the race and in selling mode I wonder who Dayton will try to deal.

I put my money on Holland. Plenty of contenders need a closer or a set up man and with the All-Star tag, Dayton will be able to work a sweet deal for some minor league prospects that will be ready when it's our time or when we come to play next year or the year after that or sometime else in the near future.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I'm sure Moore will recognize that closers are overrated and will capitalize on Holland's All-Star appearance, just like he did with Soria, who we luckily managed to trade for a boatload of prospects right before his second Tommy John. Would have sucked to hold onto him for too long and ultimately let him walk for nothing, but Moore recognized that danger and deftly avoided it, and I have the utmost confidence he'll handle Holland the same way.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MidtownCat wrote:So, now that that the Royals are out of the race and in selling mode I wonder who Dayton will try to deal.

I put my money on Holland. Plenty of contenders need a closer or a set up man and with the All-Star tag, Dayton will be able to work a sweet deal for some minor league prospects that will be ready when it's our time or when we come to play next year or the year after that or sometime else in the near future.
He won't admit defeat. The team will stand pat. No way he goes into selling mode. And phuq is right, he's not going to trade assets. Contenders need closers and he thinks we will contend in the next year or two.

Its only seven years, why won't you guys be more patient with Dayton?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

phuqueue wrote:I'm sure Moore will recognize that closers are overrated and will capitalize on Holland's All-Star appearance, just like he did with Soria, who we luckily managed to trade for a boatload of prospects right before his second Tommy John. Would have sucked to hold onto him for too long and ultimately let him walk for nothing, but Moore recognized that danger and deftly avoided it, and I have the utmost confidence he'll handle Holland the same way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You had me there for a second.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Rumors swirling the Royals are working a trade of Wade Davis for a jugs machine.

Dayton already getting us prepared for next year when it's our time to come to play.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Is Dayton Moore our new Carl Peterson?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:Is Dayton Moore our new Carl Peterson?
Of course not. Carl got us to be a serious contender. Dayton has a long way before he can sniff Carl's jock.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

phuqueue wrote:I'm sure Moore will recognize that closers are overrated and will capitalize on Holland's All-Star appearance, just like he did with Soria, who we luckily managed to trade for a boatload of prospects right before his second Tommy John. Would have sucked to hold onto him for too long and ultimately let him walk for nothing, but Moore recognized that danger and deftly avoided it, and I have the utmost confidence he'll handle Holland the same way.

=D>