GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

pash wrote:A valiant effort underway on part of the Boys in Blue none the less. ... Anyone with any hope left after the 12-game losing streak will probably now admit that this team looks pretty damn similar to all other Royals teams of recent vintage as they crawl into the break at 10 games under and 10.5 games back.
Hey, we almost made it to July still caring about the Royal's season. Baby steps.

Maybe next year will really be 'our time' to care about Royals baseball after the All-Star break before we do our obligatory nosedive into irrelevance.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

MidtownCat wrote:*****Turd Birds Update All Star Edition*****

The birds need a win today to assure they don't have worst record in the A.L at the break.
Do you understand how standings work?
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Royals now on pace to lose 91 games going into the All-Star Break.

Take a bow, David Glass. =D>
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

pash wrote:NYT reprises the Royals saga:

The Royals', Long, Painful Restoration
“There’s no doubt we’re making progress, and everybody knows it,” Butler, an All-Star and a veteran of more losing baseball than he cares to remember, said in the postgame clubhouse. “We have so much talent up here and more coming up that we didn’t have before.”

If and when that talent matures, the question will be to what extremes Glass will go to retain it. Moore acknowledged that the market size would preclude keeping everyone and that it would be up to the scouts to keep the assembly line moving. ...
"There’s no doubt we’re making progress".

This is a myth. And a company line. And a bad one that holds zero merit when you look at measurable results.

And a way to continually justify failure to the fan base while organizationally nothing is done to adress real underlying problems that prevent the franchise from competing. "Hey, let's make this year's marketing campaign "Our Time" to try to convince the fans that this year we finally have the pieces to compete, and then they'll probably barely notice we have a Triple A pitching rotation".

But, we're making progress. We're so much more talented and better. Everyone just be patient.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

For those interested in baseball and KC history, the Star has a ton of good article last weekend on KC's baseball history, including a neat piece on the old Diamond Theater over on Prospect and Truman, that was owned by HOFer Kid Nichols. Also didn't know HOFer Zach Wheat was a KC police officer once his playing days were over (Satchel Paige I believe, was elected KC Sheriff once his playing days were over!)

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/06/36 ... l-dna.html

Also lots of cool stuff at Fanfest on KC history. I want to search out where all these downtown ballparks used to be, the ones from the early 20th century before even Municipal Stadium was built.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:For those interested in baseball and KC history, the Star has a ton of good article last weekend on KC's baseball history, including a neat piece on the old Diamond Theater over on Prospect and Truman, that was owned by HOFer Kid Nichols. Also didn't know HOFer Zach Wheat was a KC police officer once his playing days were over (Satchel Paige I believe, was elected KC Sheriff once his playing days were over!)

Also lots of cool stuff at Fanfest on KC history. I want to search out where all these downtown ballparks used to be, the ones from the early 20th century before even Municipal Stadium was built.
I think the KC Federal League team played at a field in the vicinity of Brush Creek and Flora. That would have been 1914-1915.

One KC guy the Star article didn't mention was Johnny Kling, who was the catcher for the Cubs from 1900-1910. He came back to KC after he retired and ran the Hotel Dixon and a billiards hall. He later bought the KC Blues and desegregated the seating at Meuhlbach Field. That was around 1933.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Last time I checked our payroll wasn't exactly the lowest in baseball. Glass took a chance throwing GOOD money at our team over the last 5 years (Remember that $55 million for Gil Meche? Etc, etc?), and look where it got us. If you're going to blame anyone, blame Dayton Moore. He is the one responsible for throwing away that money on piss poor players. Just like his insane facisination with Yuniesky Betancourt (A player we couldn't even give away for free, yet have bought into twice now!)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I just don't see any realistic way for Moore / Glass to put together a decent rotation. Ever. FAs worth a shit are going to want huge money to come to KC, we can't get a good rotation through trade without giving away almost the entire starting lineup, and we have exactly one possible starter in Omaha right now. Maybe DM will go after Jamie Moyer! :o
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:For those interested in baseball and KC history, the Star has a ton of good article last weekend on KC's baseball history, including a neat piece on the old Diamond Theater over on Prospect and Truman, that was owned by HOFer Kid Nichols. Also didn't know HOFer Zach Wheat was a KC police officer once his playing days were over (Satchel Paige I believe, was elected KC Sheriff once his playing days were over!)

Here you go: http://www.seamheads.com/ballparks/city ... sas%20City

I knew about the one on 47th, but the one at Summit & SW Blvd surprised me. Granted, it was 1884.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

One of the most glaring problem for the Royals is that there are no veteran leaders on this team that know how to continue winning. This team can't handle, or doesn't know how to handle any type of success.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mykem wrote:One of the most glaring problem for the Royals is that there are no veteran leaders on this team that know how to continue winning. This team can't handle, or doesn't know how to handle any type of success.
Jeff Francoeur? Don't they bring in a couple of these guys every year? Willie Bloomquist? Mark Grudzielanek? Reggie Sanders? Doug Mientkiewicz?

The glaring problem is that they are bad at hitting, and bad at pitching.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:
mykem wrote:One of the most glaring problem for the Royals is that there are no veteran leaders on this team that know how to continue winning. This team can't handle, or doesn't know how to handle any type of success.
Jeff Francoeur? Don't they bring in a couple of these guys every year? Willie Bloomquist? Mark Grudzielanek? Reggie Sanders? Doug Mientkiewicz?

The glaring problem is that they are bad at hitting, and bad at pitching.
Completely agree. Veteran leadership is completely overhyped. Lack of veterans has absolutely nothing to do with the fact our team sucks at pitching, unless you consider the "veterans" we can't afford anymore. The veterans we can afford are mostly token players who act as roadblocks to young talent.
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

Serious Question: Should George Brett be the manager of the Royals? I loved some his comments and attitude in the press conference after the futures game. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 974539&v=3
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AF wrote:Serious Question: Should George Brett be the manager of the Royals? I loved some his comments and attitude in the press conference after the futures game. http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/video/ ... 60&c_id=kc
It's one of those double edged swords. When you put your best and most revered player at the helm, what happens when/if the team starts to suck? Do people boo Brett like they do Yost at the K? This has soured relationships with other great players for other organizations, including some with the Royals (Boone and McCrae, and sort of White). However, it would be unbelievably cool if Brett was at the helm and the Royals became perennial WS contenders.

I'm not sure that he wants that type of added stress. It is probably pretty great to be George Brett in KC, play golf, roll into the stadium now and again, and always be admired.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AF wrote:Serious Question: Should George Brett be the manager of the Royals? I loved some his comments and attitude in the press conference after the futures game. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 974539&v=3
Brett shouldn't be the manager. He should be a minority shareholder in a Cerner ownership group - Illig & Patterson. President of baseball operations or something. You see this in other sports quite a bit with guys like Elway, McHale, Bird, Jordan, etc. running the teams, but not coaching. Legends rarely coach.
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

bobbyhawks wrote:
AF wrote:Serious Question: Should George Brett be the manager of the Royals? I loved some his comments and attitude in the press conference after the futures game. http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/video/ ... 60&c_id=kc
It's one of those double edged swords. When you put your best and most revered player at the helm, what happens when/if the team starts to suck? Do people boo Brett like they do Yost at the K? This has soured relationships with other great players for other organizations, including some with the Royals (Boone and McCrae, and sort of White). However, it would be unbelievably cool if Brett was at the helm and the Royals became perennial WS contenders.

I'm not sure that he wants that type of added stress. It is probably pretty great to be George Brett in KC, play golf, roll into the stadium now and again, and always be admired.
I totally agree with everything you said. It would be a huge risk. I just loved his comments about stepping on the throat of the other team.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AF wrote:Serious Question: Should George Brett be the manager of the Royals? I loved some his comments and attitude in the press conference after the futures game. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 974539&v=3
Wouldn't it cut into his golf game?