PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by KCRoyal »

UMKC has been posting some pics of the 'New' Municipal on their Twitter

Wow! That scoreboard looks huge!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Lost by 28 to Louisville today. As bad as UMKC has been and as good as Louisville is, the score is not nearly as bad as I thought it might be for going on the road. Not every day you get a chance to play at the KFC Yum Center.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

It feels like they're just not in sync yet. I expect them to play much better as the season goes along and Coach Richardson's system is established.

BTW, everytime I watch the game on television and they show a shot of the new Muni scoreboards, they're always showing a UMKC graphic and not game action. Are they just using those boards for advertising or what?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Lunardi currently has UMKC in the NCAA tournament - well at least in a play-in game. I think that should count.

Mizzou - on the other hand - may struggle to make it to the dance this year. Good record but only 1 quality win and the loss to Georgia at home could come back to haunt them if they don't finish in the top 3 in the SEC.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote:Lunardi currently has UMKC in the NCAA tournament - well at least in a play-in game.
That would be so awesome.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New Mexico State is clearly the class of the WAC, as they beat New Mexico, UTEP (twice) and Hawaii and hung with some good programs. They're ranked 62nd in KenPom's rankings. But UMKC is the next best ranked WAC team, despite going 3-9 out of conference, I imagine because they played such a tough schedule.

But the only thing that really matters is who wins the conference tourney in March. Vegas hosts it - has there been any talking of getting KC to host someday?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Roos are the #2 seed in the WAC tournament, which begins on Thursday. They'll face Texas-Pan American in round one. The #1 seed is New Mexico State who are 13-1 in conference play, including two double digits wins over UMKC. The winner of the tournament gets an automatic bid to the NCAAs.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The Roos are the #2 seed in the WAC tournament, which begins on Thursday. They'll face Texas-Pan American in round one. The #1 seed is New Mexico State who are 13-1 in conference play, including two double digits wins over UMKC. The winner of the tournament gets an automatic bid to the NCAAs.
LET'S GO ROOS!

UMKC needs to do everything possible to start taking this team seriously and get them into the Missouri Valley Conference. I went to a number of games this year and while always a great time, they are nearly devoid of fans (including students), and had buy1 get1 tix almost every game I attended. The city deserves better.

Despite that, UMKC making the NCAA is my next big "impossible sports dream" now that the Royals have made it to the WS in my lifetime (truly, didn't think I would see it), and I did not attend the university. Would love to see the city get behind the team, if the school gave them a reason to cheer.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Local media needs to do a better job (any job, really) at reporting on UMKC sports. Basketball reporting has been relegated to small blurbs in The Star after a game and a spotty report on broadcasts. You really have to search out info on results, let alone upcoming games, which isn't the way to increase attendance or visibility.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

pash wrote:I would definitely root for the Roos if they were consistenly halfway decent for their level of competition. I'm a big college basketball fan, but my team plays a thousand miles away, so it would be nice to have a local option. I think I've been to one UMKC game ever, when they hosted Kansas at Municipal Auditorium back in the day.

(I grew up partly in Kansas and was a Jayhawks fan most of my life, until college, but living in KC now, around KU people, makes it really hard to root for the Hawks.)
Could you please expand on this?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

pash wrote:I would definitely root for the Roos if they were consistenly halfway decent for their level of competition. I'm a big college basketball fan, but my team plays a thousand miles away, so it would be nice to have a local option. I think I've been to one UMKC game ever, when they hosted Kansas at Municipal Auditorium back in the day.

(I grew up partly in Kansas and was a Jayhawks fan most of my life, until college, but living in KC now, around KU people, makes it really hard to root for the Hawks.)
Sounds like you weren't really a KU fan to begin with.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

pash wrote:
kucer wrote:Could you please expand on this?
KU fans are obnoxious. :P
kcmetro wrote:Sounds like you weren't really a KU fan to begin with.
I absolutely was. I was never going to go to KU, but I chose the college I went to in part because of its basketball program, which was pretty silly, but that's what being a Jayhawks fan and a huge college basketball fan generally will do to you. I took my 1988 championship rug (which Mark Turgeon's parents gave me) out east, and that thing really tied my freshman dorm room together all year long, despite the objections of my roommate.

I was a bigger fan of KU than of my own university's program through most of my college years. You can't just turn it off. But eventually things changed. When KU won in 2008 and I cared less about that than about my alma mater's loss in the tournament, that's when I knew I was finally over the Jayhawks. And then eventually I moved to KC and got to experience living among KU fans again, and that really solidified it. :lol:

So—if somebody out there is reading this and thinking, "Is there hope for me? Do I have to live with this, with being a KU fan, for the rest of my life?"—I say to you, you can beat this thing. It won't be easy, but it can be done.
There are obnoxious fans in all fan bases. You probably just hear more obnoxious KU fans because there are more KU fans in KC than any other fan base.

Did you go to Duke?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

And here we go into a back-and-forth about KU fans or KU/Mizzou arguments [-o<
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

And here we go into a back-and-forth about KU fans or KU/Mizzou arguments
I know, right? Excellent thread hijack and a good example of why UMKC struggles to have anyone care at all. So many local allegiances, so deep, at the big schools nearby. A struggling D1 commuter school/urban university program that has never really enjoyed widespread support. Not sure why you can't be a KU/MU/KState AND Roo's fan, a la say, SLU or something, but what do I know.

UMKC needs to get serious about changing this; it could be a great draw in the city, and is downtown's only resident athletic program (Municipal Auditorium). Under Rick Z. they were pretty decent, and again they should be pushing hard to join the MVC and play frequently against at least some "name" regional schools like Drake, Wichita St, etc.

On a good UMKC note - Martez Harrison won WAC player of the year. He's quite fun to watch, a true talent a team without a ton of it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote:Local media needs to do a better job (any job, really) at reporting on UMKC sports. Basketball reporting has been relegated to small blurbs in The Star after a game and a spotty report on broadcasts. You really have to search out info on results, let alone upcoming games, which isn't the way to increase attendance or visibility.
I put it on the university to put a consistent product on the floor. It's not the media's job to drum up interest around a program that can't draw interest. There has been too much reallignment, coaching changes, venue shifting and terrible play to make fan interest grow. They started to draw and get some interest when Michael Jackson was playing - but that was 15 yrs ago.

With that said, I like what Kareem Richardson has done the past two years and am hopeful the Roos can build some consistency. I'm hopeful for the WAC tourney and would love to a conf semifinal and final with the Roos playing this weekend.

If they do have success, what they'll really need to do is make another hire as good as Kareem once he leaves.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

WSPanic wrote:
kcjak wrote:Local media needs to do a better job (any job, really) at reporting on UMKC sports. Basketball reporting has been relegated to small blurbs in The Star after a game and a spotty report on broadcasts. You really have to search out info on results, let alone upcoming games, which isn't the way to increase attendance or visibility.
I put it on the university to put a consistent product on the floor. It's not the media's job to drum up interest around a program that can't draw interest. There has been too much reallignment, coaching changes, venue shifting and terrible play to make fan interest grow. They started to draw and get some interest when Michael Jackson was playing - but that was 15 yrs ago.

With that said, I like what Kareem Richardson has done the past two years and am hopeful the Roos can build some consistency. I'm hopeful for the WAC tourney and would love to a conf semifinal and final with the Roos playing this weekend.

If they do have success, what they'll really need to do is make another hire as good as Kareem once he leaves.
I somewhat disagree. It's not the media's job to drum up interest, but IMO it IS the local media's responsibility to report on local team. Local print and broadcast media are more interested in offering some sort of editorial and sensationalizing stories than conveying results. A box score you have to search for on the last page of the sport section or Googling the time doesn't cut it. It's not just UMKC, it's Mavericks, T-bones, D-II, etc.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote:
WSPanic wrote:

I somewhat disagree. It's not the media's job to drum up interest, but IMO it IS the local media's responsibility to report on local team. Local print and broadcast media are more interested in offering some sort of editorial and sensationalizing stories than conveying results. A box score you have to search for on the last page of the sport section or Googling the time doesn't cut it. It's not just UMKC, it's Mavericks, T-bones, D-II, etc.
That's somewhat fair. Although, I think the information is pretty easy to find if you know what you're looking for. If there were really eyeballs/viewers demanding such coverage, then they would probably do it. If they decide to keep relegating the minor sports teams and no one complains, then I doubt the behavior will change.

For the Roos, if they made a tournament and/or became competitive in their league on a regular basis, I think the coverage will be there.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Considering the cutbacks at the Star seriously doubt any increase in coverage there unless there is a run in the NCAA tourney. Local TV stations already devote more time to weather, or so it seems, than to sports in general during their newscasts so don't predict any change there.