PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by Sparty »

The Roo's are looking good tonight.  If they can hold on for the win, they'll be on national tv tomorrow with a chance to go to the...tourney?  :lol:  Mid-Con final - 6pm on ESPN. 
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

Well that was embarassing.  I had flashbacks of Chris Webber calling a timeout for Michigan when they had none.  Dee Ayuba had a brain flatulation, and threw the ball into the backcourt to Day after he already took the in-bound pass. hen they needed a three pointer to tie the game, they blew it.  Hopefully that doesn't make the ESPN telecast of the Mid Con finals.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

D'oh! There's always next year.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

What does that mean, always next year?  They've been in that god-forsaken conference 15 years, and haven't been to the NCAAs even one time?  Not even to the Mid-Con championship game one time?

That program sucks balls.  they need to apologize for staining the name "KC" with their dreadful play.  that was a joke last nite.  12-20 record, in a league of Centenary, S. Utah, Oakland (not California!) and Valpo?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

skim82 wrote: Nice.. Coach Z needs to have a good showing with a new AD in town, although I did hear in a 810 interview that the basketball program has suffered a lot of in terms of funding the last few years.

Where's the civic support for this team from the business community? There's no reason a team in a city this large can't own the Mid-Con conference. It really is an embarrassment. In the Tony Dumas days I really thought the Roos were on the verge of taking it to the next level. Since then, its been nothing but regression.

I mean, even if they got hot and made the NCAAs, so what? They should be owning this conference year in and year out like Oral Roberts and Valpo own this conference. They should be dominating this conference so much that bigger conferences like the Horizon League are inviting them to join (Valpo is joining the Horizon League next year). Then maybe someday the MVC or Conference USA. But they're not going to get anywhere finishing in 6th place in the freakin Mid-Con every year.

The Mid-Con is a joke of a conference, and UMKC is not all that competitive in it. Fans WILL show up if this team is a consistent winner (look at their win streak last year). So what gives?

KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

Having done my undergrad studies and in my last semester of Grad school at UMKC, I have enjoyed all the games I have gone to, but it is frustrating to have a team which dissappoints us each year. I wish the team got more support from fans, and the business community. Since we don't have a football team, I truly believe that a good performing basketball team would do wonders for the University as a whole and in tern for the city of Kansas City. It has been proved that many students choose their schools based on sports. The more students the school can attract the more viable prospects the city has for future employees and citizens.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I couldn't agree more.  They might want to try actually investing in the team financially.  Give them the tools they need to recruit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

810 reporting Coach Z has been canned. He seemed like a good guy, but they weren't really making progress under him.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: 810 reporting Coach Z has been canned. He seemed like a good guy, but they weren't really making progress under him.
He sucked so badly, he should thank the U that hey even coverd his payroll checks he was basically stealing from them.

When they threw the ball backcourt....with 25 seconds left down 2 vs. Oakland....I said: "Fire him before he reaches the locker room"
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: He sucked so badly, he should thank the U that hey even coverd his payroll checks he was basically stealing from them.
Again, the contract signed was consentual.  UMKC gave him the money under the terms of the contract.  Z didn't steal anything.
Last edited by KCMax on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCTigerFan wrote: I couldn't agree more.  They might want to try actually investing in the team financially.  Give them the tools they need to recruit.
Agreed.  Keep UMKC as division I, by all means.  Get them the financial means to compete and you can have a top notch program there.  They don't even need a dedicated arena, just sufficient on-campus facilities for practice, weight rooms etc....  (and a good coach).  If UAB and a host of other urban schools can do it, so can UMKC. 
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

I've been inside Coach Z's office...even worked on his computer.

Great guy, not so great coach.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Maybe Quinn would like a new challenge?  :P
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

After a monthlong search that included 11 interviews, three of which were on campus, Matt Brown was selected to be UMKC’s fifth basketball coach Thursday, The Star has learned.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

He's an assistant at West Virginia. Good hire. They were considering assistants at programs like UT-San Antonio and Marshall, so WV is definitely a much more successful program to be getting coaching from.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: He's an assistant at West Virginia. Good hire. They were considering assistants at programs like UT-San Antonio and Marshall, so WV is definitely a much more successful program to be getting coaching from.
To recap:  UMKC got an 5-yr assistant from a Big East school.

KSU got a 1-yr assistant from a Big 12 school.

Interesting.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: To recap:  UMKC got an 5-yr assistant from a Big East school.

KSU got a 1-yr assistant from a Big 12 school.

Interesting.
Maitre D wrote: I can say that I'm guilty of this too but....haven't we all spent enough time talking about KSU hoops?  Is there a bigger waste of time, than talking about a program with exactly ZERO tourney appearances in over a decade?

Let's talk about something important now.  Like, planting sod.

MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

The UMKC men's basketball team will hold its first practice of the 2007-08 season on Friday night from 6:30-9 p.m. at the College Basketball Experience inside the new Sprint Center.

First 500 fans must RSVP by YESTERDAY!!

](*,) How did WE not know about this?  or was someone holding out??  Max..  did you know about this? Did someone post it.. and I overlooked it?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

UMKC has a basketball team?

Seriously, did UMKC not promote it very well or what? 
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MidWestSider wrote: The UMKC men's basketball team will hold its first practice of the 2007-08 season on Friday night from 6:30-9 p.m. at the College Basketball Experience inside the new Sprint Center.

First 500 fans must RSVP by YESTERDAY!!
](*,) How did WE not know about this?  or was someone holding out??  Max..  did you know about this? Did someone post it.. and I overlooked it?
No, and I'm now a student at that institution. It must be a big secret!