PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by KCMax »

Roos games are on OTA TV on a pretty regular basis, which I don't recall before.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

UMKC beat UT-Pan American 70-61, their first conference tourney win since 2007. They play Seattle in the semis tonight.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

New court lookin' good! Love KC's skyline!

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

In their first ever D-1 postseason game, UMKC beats Wisconsin-Green Bay tonight. So, Roo Up!
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:In their first ever D-1 postseason game, UMKC beats Wisconsin-Green Bay tonight. So, Roo Up!
Quarterfinals tomorrow against Wyoming. The game will be played at an elevation of 7165'. Hope they had time to acclimate.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

I like it
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Kind of interesting look back at the visual history of the 'Roo

https://info.umkc.edu/oldschool/?p=124
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

CBS Sports is reporting The Missouri Valley Conference "is in deep talks" and wants to add UMKC into its conference permanently- along with two other schools.

This is a gamechanger for UMKC athletics.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... nsas-city/

Development will be involved: "In order for Kansas City to be a viable candidate, per one source, there needs to be 'shovels in the ground' on new facilities as quickly as possible."

This would be a jump from the bottom feeder conferences that UMKC has been playing in, to a legitimate conference that has sent TWO teams to the Final Four within the last decade (Loyola & Wichita St).
This is hitting *way* above UMKC's weight for basketball and it can only elevate their program- forcing them to get better and facilities and therefore attract better athletes. Moves like these to better conferences kick back lots more revenue and upgraded facilities that come with it.

Here are the highlights:
-"[UMKC] is a candidate for one huge reason: its proximity to a major media market"

-"Kansas City, which is in the heart of MVC territory, has vowed a return to play at Municipal Auditorium. The historic arena has hosted more NCAA Tournament championship games (nine) than any other venue."

-"Another reason there is optimism within Kansas City's athletic department: former Missouri athletic director Mike Alden -- who got Missouri out of the Big 12 and into the SEC nearly a decade ago -- is said to be heavily involved in the school's pitch. Powers-that-be at that school remain highly optimistic as of now about joining the Valley, also due in part to the fact that Kansas City as a metropolitan area is one of the more robust college basketball media markets in the country. "
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

what more do they need?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:35 pm what more do they need?
It's the basketball facilities that are the problem. They're essentially playing out of a community center and have no area where the athletes can train in their own facilities. I think the MVC is basically saying they need to build and expand better facilities for the athletes.

The could get away with their piece of shit facilities in the crappy little conferences they'd be playing in- but this is a real conference- they're gonna want real facilities. Not a community gym.
langosta
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by langosta »

So a new training center?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think so? Not sure what else they could be referring to. UMKC needed to do this anyway, so I'm glad the MV conference is giving them an incentive to do it.

It's all just a cycle. You get better facilities, which gets better recruits, and then more wins, which is more money, and the money can then be re-invested for even more facilities, etc. So this needs to happen. We need to following the path and keep trying to get up to the best conferences as we can, as each better one brings more revenue. Wichita St & Creighton have done very well at this.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It’s always been super disjointed playing at Municipal away from campus. I think the streetcar really helps this as students could ride directly from campus to the games and back.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:25 pm It’s always been super disjointed playing at Municipal away from campus. I think the streetcar really helps this as students could ride directly from campus to the games and back.
I actually didn't even think about that aspect of it, but yes you could take the streetcar now to games.

I'm still wondering what "shovel ready" development they want UMKC to do specifically and where?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I think UMKC had some proposed renovation and expansion of their rec center
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:52 pm I actually didn't even think about that aspect of it, but yes you could take the streetcar now to games.

I'm still wondering what "shovel ready" development they want UMKC to do specifically and where?
Probably for secondary sports like baseball/softball or diving/swimming. They might be pushing for all teams to have football teams in the future since that is fractured from the overall conference.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

As a MVC fan in KC, I don't understand how UMKC is even in consideration as they are not an MVC level athletics program. They also need to drop the KC name and go back to just using UMKC as that is what literally everybody in the city calls them.

But it would be cool if UMKC built an 8,000 seat arena walkable from the Plaza and poached the Mavericks from Independence. The Sprint Center is far too big for UMKC and minor league sports but a mid-size arena by the plaza/streetcar could do great with mid-major basketball, minor league hockey, concerts, etc.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Always loved watching them play in Municipal.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dnweava wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:28 pm As a MVC fan in KC, I don't understand how UMKC is even in consideration as they are not an MVC level athletics program. They also need to drop the KC name and go back to just using UMKC as that is what literally everybody in the city calls them.

But it would be cool if UMKC built an 8,000 seat arena walkable from the Plaza and poached the Mavericks from Independence. The Sprint Center is far too big for UMKC and minor league sports but a mid-size arena by the plaza/streetcar could do great with mid-major basketball, minor league hockey, concerts, etc.
Agreed on the UMKC name change and stadium facilities. The students needs it on campus or they won’t show to games. They were getting decent crowds at Swinney basketball games.

As for MVC- you’re right, but they want UMKC for its market. I’ll take it.