PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: their greatest shot at capturing the city's heart was when whats his name, dumas, was playing? forgot the guys name, but they had a winning campaign that year and were considered legitimate contenders to win their conference that season.
I could be wrong, but I think the problem was they were not in a conference. They finished like 23-7, but didn't get even an invite to the NIT because they could not find any conference to take them in.

UMKC used to have a really good pipeline to Memphis back in the Lee Hunt days. That's where they got talent like Dumas (who had a decent NBA career). But they haven't been able to recruit like that in a long time.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I could be wrong, but I think the problem was they were not in a conference. They finished like 23-7, but didn't get even an invite to the NIT because they could not find any conference to take them in.

UMKC used to have a really good pipeline to Memphis back in the Lee Hunt days. That's where they got talent like Dumas (who had a decent NBA career). But they haven't been able to recruit like that in a long time.
oh, they didnt even have a conference then? that would explain it then. i remember that team slightly, and remember the crowds at muni getting larger and larger during that run.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

kcdcchef wrote: oh, they didnt even have a conference then? that would explain it then. i remember that team slightly, and remember the crowds at muni getting larger and larger during that run.
Yeah - they were independents when they first came to D-1.  They really wanted to join the MVC, but couldn't get a sniff.  I think the move to the mid-Con (now the Summit League - huh?) was out of desperation.

When they have played well, they've drawn pretty good.  They need to do that more than every 7 or 8 years, however.  If they could sustain a decent team over a number of years, the crowds should stabilize and then they could start talking about getting into the Valley or some other legit league.

As far as the name, changing the name of the school requires the Missouri legislature to do that.  I keep saying they should do what UNC-Charlotte does.  They are still officially the "University of North Carolina at Charlotte,"  but their jerseys and athletic department communications simply refer to them as "Charlotte."  I don't understand why the Roos have never taken this step.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Man this program sucks balls.  7-22 (3-13) which means they're dead last in the Mid Con.  And only 8 teams play in their tourney so they won't be allowed to make a miracle run in March anyway.

It's time to pull the plug on this dumb idea to put them in D-1.  They cannot compete.  They haven't competed now for almost 20 years.  They can't even win a garbage conference (even one time!), competing with the likes of S. Utah/IPFW/Cetenary.    They're a waste of time and money so it's time for a change, Roos.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't think its time to pull the plug, but it is time to do something different. North Dakota State is dominating this conference and they just joined Division I just four years ago, and are in their second season in the Summit Conference.

Why can't UMKC do the same? What is keeping them from being at least as good as programs like Oral Roberts or Valparaiso?

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

It seems like whenever there are promissing sings and reasons to be optomistic they wind up taking giant steps back.  For whatever reason, the program seems utterly incapable of building upon their successes. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I saw ND State play this year - they didn't seem that good. Beat the Roos in overtime.

I think they should give Matt Brown a few years to do something, but it could be time to just let it go. It seems like there was a decent amount of support when they had some talent and competed.

Someone told me last night that they are going to be playing on campus next year. Anyone else heard that? I love seeing games in Municipal, but it may not make sense if they can't draw any people.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: I don't think its time to pull the plug, but it is time to do something different. North Dakota State is dominating this conference and they just joined Division I just four years ago, and are in their second season in the Summit Conference.

Exactly.   Back in November, UMKC lost by 5 to Notre Dame, 15 at Allen Phieldhouse, and 20 to Florida neutral court.   That should translate into a .500 record in this garbage conference.  But apparently not.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

We've had this discussion so many times in the past.  My opinion; there's no reason why UMKC cannot be a good division I basketball school, it just takes a bit of effort to get decent facilities and a good coach.  A couple of years back, UMKC had some pretty good home grown talent led by Quienton Day and produced a decent season (but a little disappointing considering the talent they had).  The other challenge is to create a fan base, not easy to do at a school with a lot of commuters.  On the other hand, the enrollment is close to Kstate's enrollment so they do have a pretty good sized student body.  UAB has provided a pretty good role model for what an urban secondary university can do with a program.  I know love going to the muni to watch UMKC games when I am in town.   
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

If there's no reason it can't happen, why hasn't it for 20 years now?

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Maitre D wrote: If there's no reason it can't happen, why hasn't it for 20 years now?
They've approached the entire endeavor half heartedly. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Move the program to D II.  UMKC does not have the desire or heart to run a first degree Div I program for all of its sports, expecially BB.  Make the move down and then, maybe, try to add a football program.  There are many Div II programs around the area and building a rivalry with those would be worthwhile.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

So long Municipal...Roos will play full-time on campus beginning this year.

Well, this was probably inevitable and probably a good thing. While I will miss the Roos playing downtown and in historic Municipal, moving games is simply the right thing to do at this time. This move will save the Athletics department a good chunk of money and hopefully allow a real student presence at home games, every game.

What are your thoughts?

Link:
http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArticl ... =204963820
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

darin wrote: What are your thoughts?
It is a good move for UMKC.  Question I have is how does the seating capacity compare to other Div I programs across the country and in particular its league?

I would think that with only 1500 seats that is more in line with a Div II program instead of Div I.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

It would look to be the smallest arena in the conference, but not too far out of line with several of the other schools.  It should make for a lively environment in that the Roos usually draw about 1,500 at Municipal.  

Summit League arena capacities:

IUPUI (2,215)
Oakland (3,000)
IPFW: 2 venues (2,700) and (13,000)
Centenary (3,000)
Western Illinois (5,000)
Southern Utah (5,300)
North Dakota State (5,800)
South Dakota State (6,500)
Oral Roberts (10,575)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agree with the move - hopefully they can build up the program. It was a mistake to think the program could go from NAIA to big time Division I in one big swoop. They should have been working incrementally to make the program bigger and better. Maybe this will start to happen now.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yikes. Roos lose to NAIA program Benedictine in an exhibition game.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well tough start for the Roos in the regular season, they lose to Div-II NW Mo State to begin the year, hang around with a good Bradley team, and bounce back with a last second win at home against Nebraska-Omaha.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Roos get SOOOO close to getting their first ever NCAA bid. They blow a 17 point lead to South Dakota and lose 78-77 in the Summit League championship for the right to get an automatic bid.

In women's basketball. The men didn't even qualify for the Summit League tournament.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote:The Roos get SOOOO close to getting their first ever NCAA bid. They blow a 17 point lead to South Dakota and lose 78-77 in the Summit League championship for the right to get an automatic bid.

In women's basketball. The men didn't even qualify for the Summit League tournament.
What's up with that program? Why can't they get their shit together?