PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by KCMax »

Roos begin their quest for a first ever NCAA berth tonight at 8:30 in Tulsa against 6 seed Chicago State. UMKC swept Chicago State this year, winning 82-81 at the Muni and 80-75 in Chicago. The winner plays #1 seed IUPUI.

Also, a heads up, the Roos "PRIDE OF THE PROGRAM" airs on ESPN this Friday. I'm not sure during which game.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Re: PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by Thrillcekr »

....and the bastards blew it with a significant lead.  :(
SouthKC1985
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SouthKC1985 »

KCMax wrote: Also, a heads up, the Roos "PRIDE OF THE PROGRAM" airs on ESPN this Friday. I'm not sure during which game.
What great moments do they have? They won some games in the regular season?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm guessing their PRIDE OF THE PROGRAM is either the time they blew out K-State, or the Ronnie Schmidt 50 point game against US International.

Disappointing loss. Seems like the Roos always have a disappointing tourney, no matter how well they did in the regular season.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Why do they even have a program?  Can't even win that crappy conference in 20 years.

It's such an embarrassment.  Then they wonder why nobody goes to see them.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Why do they even have a program?  Can't even win that crappy conference in 20 years.

Have they even been Division I in 20 years.  This is why basketball is such a great sport, it takes 1 player to change an entire team.  Look at Indiana State in 1979, they got Larry Bird (they basically had nobody else) and they go to the NCAA championship game and create probably the most exciting tournament of all time in the process. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm glad to see them doing better....Zvoskic needs to get it together or be gone...this is a talented group of players.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: I'm glad to see them doing better....Zvoskic needs to get it together or be gone...this is a talented group of players.
last year was the year they should have went dancing finally, i mean, that number 2 seed, a day off in the tourney, that was their window, not forever mind you, but i expected them to finally go to the 64 team field, and man, what that would have done for UMKC.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

KCMax wrote: I'm guessing their PRIDE OF THE PROGRAM is either the time they blew out K-State, or the Ronnie Schmidt 50 point game against US International.

Disappointing loss. Seems like the Roos always have a disappointing tourney, no matter how well they did in the regular season.
pittsburghparoyal wrote: Why do they even have a program?  Can't even win that crappy conference in 20 years.

You 2 jaydorks are too dense to remember that the Roos had the
TOP SCORER IN NCAA  BASKETBALL JUST A FEW YEARS AGO. MICHAEL WATSON... FROM KANSAS CITY MISSOURI.

KC Missouri has produced more great college stars in the last 20 years than the entire state of Kansas forever.
Last edited by Deleted User on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

KC Missouri has produced more great college stars in the last 20 years than the entire state of Kansas forever.

Please give me some names.

Michael Watson doesn't count. He was a ball hog on a bad team.

Please name some players better than Earl Watson, Maurice Evans, Greg Dreiling, Steve Henson, Paul Shirley, Wayne Simien and Danny Manning. All starred in college and went on to the NBA. All graduated from Kansas high schools in the last 20 years.

If you want to go really far back, how 'bout Darnell Valentine, Ed Nealy, Antoine Carr and Lucious Allen...all great players, from Kansas, with significant NBA careers.

The UMKC basketball program is a joke.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Let's not let this thread get hijacked by more of the same stupid crap about MO vs. KS.

I think the Roos have done an OK job - they've definitely underachieved in the tourney the last two years, but I think they have a good shot next year. Day will be senior - Blackwell might start shooting. Ayuba's a senior.

And UMKC basketball is one of the most underrated and unappreciated things to do in KC. D1 basketball in a beautiful historic venue. It's downtown, cheap and serves beer.

They get about 1500-3000 people a game. Anyone not taking advantage of this in KC is missing out.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

WSPanic wrote: And UMKC basketball is one of the most underrated and unappreciated things to do in KC. D1 basketball in a beautiful historic venue. It's downtown, cheap and serves beer.

They get about 1500-3000 people a game. Anyone not taking advantage of this in KC is missing out.
Definitely.  I made it to two games this year, and it was great.  It's worth it alone just to be in Muni.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

And the support is there. When they went on their winning streak last year, they were drawing very good crowds.

The NIT recently changed their rules to mandate that any regular season conference champ not in the NCAA will make it to the NIT. That will give the Roos something else to shoot for.

Why was Bob Sundvold fired? Seems like he had the team headed in the right direction. I like Zvosec but I'm not seeing the desired results.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Hull-Os wrote:

Please give me some names.

Michael Watson doesn't count. He was a ball hog on a bad team.

Please name some players better than Earl Watson, Maurice Evans, Greg Dreiling, Steve Henson, Paul Shirley, Wayne Simien and Danny Manning. All starred in college and went on to the NBA. All graduated from Kansas high schools in the last 20 years.

If you want to go really far back, how 'bout Darnell Valentine, Ed Nealy, Antoine Carr and Lucious Allen...all great players, from Kansas, with significant NBA careers.

The UMKC basketball program is a joke.
Oh c'mon Hull, you generally are pretty accurate on sporting issues but Manning was not a Kansas product.  He was born and raised in N. Carolina and only moved to Lawrence for his senior year after his father was hired by Larry Brown explicitely to get Danny in a KU uniform.  Actually, you did miss one a true Kansan, Larry Drew went to school in KCK and on to star at Missouri and then the NBA. 
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

Oh c'mon Hull, you generally are pretty accurate on sporting issues but Manning was not a Kansas product.
Dammit, caught me...tried to sneak that one by.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I agree 110%...The Muni cannot be fully appreciated until you experience a game there. 

I have seriously thought about pleading with the NCAA to have one final championship game there.  It woudnt even have to be old school, no throw back jerseys and such, just let them play there, the natural environment would make it a once in a lifetime experience and would give it a historic feel. 

Incase you guys didnt realize it, the Muni has had more final 4's and championship games than I think anywhere else...correct me if im wrong, but it is a place full of historic moments and lots of emotion.  There is something about the mistique of that building that mesmorizes everyone inside.  I honestly doubt there's an experience like in in the entire rest of the united states.  Nothing feels quite as throw back as municiple, even though it doesnt try to go old school.  It just has that rustic feel from a time when The Game was what it was all about...

I wish the NCAA would consider having a championship game there.  TV revenues all would be the same, the only difference would be tickets sold for a single game.  I dont see the difference in having that lame organization turn over 1 billion in a season compared to 1.00002 billion.  They undoubtly would say its because of financial reasons that a game couldnt be played there...it wouldnt make enough money, but who cares, cash is king, money is money, as long as their in the black, then they shouldn't complain.  I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but the NCAA has honestly become as greedy an organization I have ever seen. 
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agree that the Muni is a special place to watch a game, and that it has hosted more championships than any other venue.

But it would suck to be a fan of a team that made the Final Four and not be able to get a ticket to such a small venue.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: I agree that the Muni is a special place to watch a game, and that it has hosted more championships than any other venue.

But it would suck to be a fan of a team that made the Final Four and not be able to get a ticket to such a small venue.

Yeah, but life's tough, grab a helmet.

You could always get a ticket, odds are you'd have to take out a 2nd (or third) mortage to afford one from someone else, but if you got a ticket for face value, then would it not make it even more memorable to know that there are only 13,000 others that had that same experience firsthand?  And imagine how it would feel as a player or coach, to play, let alone stand, on that historic floor.  Anyones could die in the parking lot afterwards, and yet their life would be complete...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Congrats to the Roos who upset Valpo in the first round of the Mid-Cont tourney tonight. They were down 12 in the first half but fought back to win 84-76. They'll face Oakland tomorrow in the semis.

skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Nice.. Coach Z needs to have a good showing with a new AD in town, although I did hear in a 810 interview that the basketball program has suffered a lot of in terms of funding the last few years.