PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by MidWestSider »

This was a great game..  We had it!  Best $10 i've spent in a long time. 
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

UNI's seven-footer

LJ..  I was trying to capture the blinding sparkle from his watch.

MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Larry Johnson on the ROO's

“It’s just fun,” LJ explains. “I don’t really like watching basketball on TV, so I usually go to basketball games. This is so far the only basketball games that’s close enough for me to watch. They have pretty good players.”

Just like any other loyal season-ticket holder, he’s been to all six of UMKC’s home games. Even last Saturday, when third-ranked Kansas was playing in the plush Sprint Center, LJ was here, down the street at Municipal Auditorium, rooting for his Kangaroos against Wichita State.

“If I come out and watch one time,” LJ says, “I’m gonna (become) a fan of a player and come back and get interested. Plus, these games always come down to the wire, and all these kids hustle, so I like to watch it.”
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That's pretty cool. I thought he had a hatred of anything to do with Kansas City.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Great win for the Roos! They've had a good stretch lately, beating a Horizon League team (Loyola) and a MVC team (Wichita St.), and taking another MVC team (Northern Iowa) to OT.

Now to win some conference games! They need to dominate this conference.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

How/why do the Roos almost always come up short in close games?  :(
KC is the way to be!
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

interesting reading

Make it work, UMKC, or change affiliation

Kansas City is a unique hoops market. Bigger than Tulsa, Omaha, Wichita, Des Moines or Springfield, but they all have more successful Division I programs. Their teams are more deeply rooted in the community and own an only-game-in-town advantage.

Another arena for Kansas City? Hear this out. A 5,000-seat on-campus building for the Kangaroos to call their own with mostly privately raised funds. Some of the land-locked school would have to be reconfigured, but Hall would love to make it happen.

http://www.kansascity.com/168/story/507297.html
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

MAKE IT WORK!

Also, get a football team.
KC is the way to be!
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

If they could build an arena with some better amenities than the Muni has I am sure there would be more than 2K fans going to games. I really think that they could sell so many more tickets if they could just put a decent team together for at least back to back years. They haven't had a decent team since I have followed them. There is no excitment around them and no local buzz to draw new fans in.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The Roos as a division 1 team is an experiment that should end.  Go to D II and build up the program.  Make it a continued success.  And then after that period of success try the D I route again.

Either that or go out a hire a successful D I headcoach instead of an untried unknown that takes the team nowhere.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

How bout them Roos? Hung tough against KU, then knocked off Wichita State and Bradley, two solid mid-major programs!

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I saw one of their games on TV the other day, and noticed they weren't playing in Muni.  I looked it up and saw they were playing in their rec center gym, which looks pretty good, and spacious enough for the Roos fans.  I'm curious why they don't make that their full-time home court.  You'd think it would allow their students easier access to the games, rather than having it downtown.  Then again, the dt games probably also bring in spectators who stay after work to catch a game (hence...more $$).
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I don't think the Roos need to play on campus or in a new facility - If the Roos are going to boost fan participation and enthusiasim, they need to win games and compete in their conference.  It is really that simple.  If they compete for their conference a couple years, they will have no problem filling muni with fans and students.  Early returns do seem to support the notion that their coaching hire may start paying off in that direction.  If they keep on being mediocre or sub-mediocre, a posh new stadium right in the middle of campus still wouldn't gaurantee fan interest. 
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

There is no reason why they cannot dominate their conference and get into the NCAA's most seasons.  If they actually made a tourny appearance or two and marketed the program better people would go.  Municipal is a fun place to watch basketball IMO and with everything going on downtown I could see UMKC basketball becoming everyone's second team (behind KU, MU, and KSU).  I think rebranding the school from UMKC to University of Kansas City would help a lot.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

kcmetro wrote: I saw one of their games on TV the other day, and noticed they weren't playing in Muni.  I looked it up and saw they were playing in their rec center gym, which looks pretty good, and spacious enough for the Roos fans.  I'm curious why they don't make that their full-time home court.  You'd think it would allow their students easier access to the games, rather than having it downtown.  Then again, the dt games probably also bring in spectators who stay after work to catch a game (hence...more $$).
The rec. center is small.  Don't know how it looked on tv, but I'd be shocked if capacity was much more than 1,250.  I mean, that rec. center setup is MUCH smaller than my highschool gym was. 

Sure, UMKC probably isn't breaking any attendance records, but in the longrun, I think Municipal Auditorium may be better for the program.  Maybe down the road, an on-campus arena would be beneficial.  However, if you've been on that campus, you'd know that land is sparce.  I don't know where they would put it.  On the other hand, maybe they should just renovate Municipal???
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I don't think the Roos need to play on campus or in a new facility - If the Roos are going to boost fan participation and enthusiasim, they need to win games and compete in their conference.  It is really that simple.  If they compete for their conference a couple years, they will have no problem filling muni with fans and students.  Early returns do seem to support the notion that their coaching hire may start paying off in that direction.  If they keep on being mediocre or sub-mediocre, a posh new stadium right in the middle of campus still wouldn't gaurantee fan interest. 
About 4-5 seasons ago they went on a long winning streak and were starting to draw very good crowds in Muni. All it would take is serious competition for a Conference title to draw decent attendance. jlbomega is right, there is no reason why they shouldn't dominate their conference. I would bet UMKC has more resources than a lot of other Summit league schools.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I thought they were looking at building their own facility on the campus for BB, VB, and all.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: About 4-5 seasons ago they went on a long winning streak and were starting to draw very good crowds in Muni. All it would take is serious competition for a Conference title to draw decent attendance. jlbomega is right, there is no reason why they shouldn't dominate their conference. I would bet UMKC has more resources than a lot of other Summit league schools.
their greatest shot at capturing the city's heart was when whats his name, dumas, was playing? forgot the guys name, but they had a winning campaign that year and were considered legitimate contenders to win their conference that season.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: their greatest shot at capturing the city's heart was when whats his name, dumas, was playing? forgot the guys name, but they had a winning campaign that year and were considered legitimate contenders to win their conference that season.
Tony Dumas.  I forgot about that dude.  I remember having his basketball card when I was in junior high.

Also, Michael Watson did some good things for that program.  I've never understood why they can't get over the hump and make the big dance a few times per decade.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

KC-wildcat wrote: The rec. center is small.  Don't know how it looked on tv, but I'd be shocked if capacity was much more than 1,250.  I mean, that rec. center setup is MUCH smaller than my highschool gym was. 

Sure, UMKC probably isn't breaking any attendance records, but in the longrun, I think Municipal Auditorium may be better for the program.  Maybe down the road, an on-campus arena would be beneficial.  However, if you've been on that campus, you'd know that land is sparce.  I don't know where they would put it.  On the other hand, maybe they should just renovate Municipal???
The Muni is awesome!  The college basketball history there is palpable.  At this point, I wouldn't think that a school at their level would need much more.  I think that the Muni is the best option- nice size but not too big, it is part of Kansas City, as the Roos should hope to be.