PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: PUMP UP THE ROOS!

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote:
KCMax wrote:The Roos get SOOOO close to getting their first ever NCAA bid. They blow a 17 point lead to South Dakota and lose 78-77 in the Summit League championship for the right to get an automatic bid.

In women's basketball. The men didn't even qualify for the Summit League tournament.
What's up with that program? Why can't they get their shit together?
They seem to have lost the will to have a top notch program. Perhaps the area is a bit oversaturated with college ball.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The people who run UMKC would rather focus on academics than athletics. This is why UMKC has shown no interest in getting a football program and this is why the basketball program sucks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

UMKC to fire coach Matt Brown. Louisville asst Kareem Richardson is the frontrunner to replace him.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... att-brown-
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Former Mizzou great Anthony Peeler interested in the gig.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/13/41 ... -umkc.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

They still have a basketball team?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kareem Richardson to be named head coach.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So I guess Belmont was NAIA as late as 1995, then made the jump all the way to DI like UMKC did. Except Belmont went onto win 6 conference regular season titles, and 6 tourney titles, meaning 6 NCAA tourney bids, and nearly upset Duke a few years ago. This year, they made the jump up to the Ohio Valley Conference and won that, and earned their highest seed ever, a #11, with many people picking them as an upset candidate. Belmont is a small liberal arts college in a major city - Nashville, with an enrollment of about 6000.

This is UMKC's blueprint, but UMKC has failed miserably at following it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:So I guess Belmont was NAIA as late as 1995, then made the jump all the way to DI like UMKC did. Except Belmont went onto win 6 conference regular season titles, and 6 tourney titles, meaning 6 NCAA tourney bids, and nearly upset Duke a few years ago. This year, they made the jump up to the Ohio Valley Conference and won that, and earned their highest seed ever, a #11, with many people picking them as an upset candidate. Belmont is a small liberal arts college in a major city - Nashville, with an enrollment of about 6000.

This is UMKC's blueprint, but UMKC has failed miserably at following it.
I'd like to say that being squeezed by KU, KSU and MU for basketball viewers hurts UMKC but Belmont has Vandy in their neighborhood also. I thought it might also be the commuter nature of the school but it's been growing as a residential college and George Mason (the ultimate commuter college) even made it to a final four a few years back. UMKC can do it, it just requires a bit more commitment from the University than the bball program has received in the past.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Dennis Dodd reported a week or two ago that UMKC is talking with the Missouri Valley Conference about possibly becoming a member.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCMax wrote:Dennis Dodd reported a week or two ago that UMKC is talking with the Missouri Valley Conference about possibly becoming a member.
I think there's a post on that earlier in this thread - the MVC is visiting UMKC, Illinois-Chicago, Loyola Chicago and Valparaiso about expansion.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't remember why, but of all the schools the MVC is currently looking at, it seemed like UMKC was the least likely candidate to join.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:The "why" was probably that all the other candidates have much better basketball programs.
But Kansas City has more TVs! That's all that matters.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote:But Kansas City has more TVs! That's all that matters.
And football. Hard for any conference to not want UMKC's successful football program.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

AllThingsKC wrote:I don't remember why, but of all the schools the MVC is currently looking at, it seemed like UMKC was the least likely candidate to join.
Aside from fewer televisions than Chicago in the market, the MVC is still stinging from expanding with Evansville, which really only had success with one sport - basketball...and it was fleeting success at that. I think if the conference goes with a metro area that ISN'T Chicago they would prefere a school where the athletic programs didn't all suck on a consistent basis.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

UMKC gets passed over and the MVC will expand with Loyola of Illinois.

Probably not on the strength of the hoops program, Loyola has had losing records in 5 of the last 6 seasons, were 7-23 a season ago and hasn't made the NCAAs since 1985.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

UMKC makes big upgrades to classic arena
With a little work left to be done, UMKC will play most its home games at Municipal this season.

"The $5 million renovation includes new video boards, LED scorer's table, sound system, lighting, seating in the lower level and electrical upgrades," according to a school release. And they're not small: 47 feet wide and 12 and a half feet tall.

Improved seating and alterations to the lights will make for a different feel inside the classic arena. More plans for upgrades are ongoing as well.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Let me just say that this...is... AWESOME! =D> I was excited to hear the Roos returning to the Muni in the first place, but to see this piece of news about the new upgrades, pure joy from me! I love Municipal, and I'm liking the direction this program is headed. Hope to go out there for Opening Night on November 8th! GO ROOS!

Oh and here's a link to some renderings I found:
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... l?page=all