Questions About Seeing A Game At Allen Fieldhouse

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I'm going to my first KU home basketball game this Saturday, & I had a couple questions for those who've been to Allen Fieldhouse numerous times.

~ Where is Will Call? I have to pick up my tickets there.

~ What's the parking set-up? Close to the building? Expensive?

~ The tickets I have ordered are marked "public", with no mention of where the seats are. Does this mean I'll be in a standing room only scenario?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've been there a few times, I'll attempt to help.

- Not sure where will call is, but I think it's on the south side...complete guess from memory though.

- Parking is all around the arena and $5 I think the last time I went.

- I believe that means they are GA tickets which are in the corner.

http://www.kusports.com/multimedia/virtual_fieldhouse/

Don't worry about trying to watch a replay, they have no video boards...that's always annoyed me. Oh and it looks like they need to paint the seating sections last time I was there.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

A video board is in the works. A buddy of mine works for the KU endowment association and said the new video board is going to be a new, light weight, state of the art, video board. It can't be heavy due to the age of the Fieldhouse. It should be in next year. :cheers:

GA tickets are of course first come first to sit type thing. If you get there early enough (meaning several hours), you can get pretty decent seats. Otherwise you'll be up in the rafters.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it's about time a top tier bball program got a 90's amenity like a video board.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:it's about time a top tier bball program got a 90's amenity like a video board.
:roll: I think having stupid video boards hanging everywhere in Allen is a little tacky.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well I assume they would just replace the center scoreboard with a video board one. It's pretty standard..hell even KSU has one and we SUCK. Just surprised me when I went to the phog the first time and didn't see one with the program being so successful.

Is fresh paint also tacky?

Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

Hey, Season Ticket holder for KU Hoops here. Let me help:

Will Call is located in the East Lobby of Allen Fieldhouse, to the right as you go in the doors.

Parking across from Allen Fieldhouse is $10 and from what I hear, it usually fills up pretty fast. Also, just about any house in the area of AFH offers parking in their driveway for $10. Me personally, I go 23rd (K-10) to Ousdahl (1 block west of Naismith), park there. Walk to 19th, across the field, and in the South doors. This may not work for you though since you have to go to the East doors. The best thing about Ousdahl is a quick and easy u-turn after the game and you're back out to 23rd which is a stoplight....PM me or reply here for any other help on parking...

You'll be in "GA" which is basically where the students are. I'd recommend getting there early (doors open 1.5, or is it 2??? hours before tip) if you want a decent seat. Expect to stand for the whole game. You'll definitely want to be in your seats early to hear the band, national anthem, school song, rock chalk, intro's....it still gives me chills! As far as seating goes, the place is small, and packed tight, so even the upper corners are about as far away as the upper part of the lower deck of Kemper....great views anywhere.

KCJ is correct about the video board. They are now light enough to so that the ceiling can handle them. Remember, this place was built in 1955! The board is a little tacky in my opinion, but needed. A whole lot more cleanup is going on at AFH as well, KCP...That's another thread though!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote:Don't worry about trying to watch a replay, they have no video boards...that's always annoyed me. Oh and it looks like they need to paint the seating sections last time I was there.
Hey KCP, all I can say in response is:

Hey Jealousy
Hey Jealousy

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/gin-blossoms ... lousy.html
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Don't worry about trying to watch a replay, they have no video boards...that's always annoyed me. Oh and it looks like they need to paint the seating sections last time I was there.
Hey KCP, all I can say in response is:

Hey Jealousy
Hey Jealousy

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/gin-blossoms ... lousy.html

nothing cuts to the heart of a man quite like the Gin Blossoms. a potent blade, indeed. :lol:
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Wow...lots of great info. I knew you guys would hook me up. Thanks, ya'll.

Sounds like most of my predictions were pretty spot on. I've been a fan for 20-ish years, but this is the first chance I've had to go to the Fieldhouse. I'm PUMPED.

One other thing...I know they have those buses downtown. Is there a shuttle service back & forth from the Fieldhouse? You know, kinda like the Royals Express, or whatever it's called.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I might envy a program like KU's but I do not envy the facilities.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCPowercat wrote:I might envy a program like KU's but I do not envy the facilities.
Everybody raves about AFH, with Dick Vitale calling it the "best place to watch college basketball" You don't hear that about Bramlage. Or do you ever hear anything positive about KState basketball, except that they once were a great program WHEN they played in their own historic fieldhouse. Now they play in a generic building with no atmosphere whatsoever.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't like Bramlage either. That's really not the point of this conversation. People might rave about it, I thought it could be so much more the 2-3 games I've been there. It's just personal opinion. I tend to think chipped paint doesn't make a place "awesome". Now HUGE jayhawks that take up 3/4 the floor, now that's atmosphere :D

I don't think we were a great program just because we played at Ahearn instead of Bramlage. Although it is strange how when we moved out, everything changed.

The purple will rise again my friend, oh yes, we will rise again.

Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

KCPowercat wrote:I might envy a program like KU's but I do not envy the facilities.
I just googled best college basketball arenas and the lowest Allen appeared on any list was 3rd.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

Diggity? DO get there 2 hours early or you will be standing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

fine. It's personal opinion. I see many lists of say restaurants, etc. I don't agree with. Some things get caught up in hype and remain on lists just because of reputation not real life experiences. I'd put Allen fieldhouse in that category.

I got to the KU/KSU game like 30 minutes before tip, got a seat w/o a problem...didn't stand the entire game.

Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

All of the lists I found from googling were from sportswriters who have been in most arenas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Brooksider wrote:All of the lists I found from googling were from sportswriters who have been in most arenas.
well there's a feather in your cap.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

• Orange Area -- Student Seating

• Blue Areas -- Faculty/Staff Seating

Wheelchair seating is located on the first level at the base of sections M and B.

Doors open 1.5 hours before each game. It is advised that you arrive at the Fieldhouse at least an hour before the game.

For General Admission seating: It is advised that you be aware of the number of seats available in your row. A general admission ticket does not guarantee that everyone in your group will sit together. Fans in general admission seating may have to stand to be able to see the court. In the event you should experience seating difficulties please contact the usher in your seating area.
==================================================

DD-- There is a transit system in Lawrence, but I am unaware of a shuttle to/from the game. The 8 bus has a stop about a block away from the Fieldhouse. Its route is from downtown L to the South Iowa big box area so you could potentially park at Target or JCPenny and ride the bus to the Fieldhouse for $0.50. For football games, I know that a few places like 75th Street Brew and the Yacht Club hosted shuttles for customers and perhaps a similar thing is arranged for basketball.

If you have any questions where you need a definitive answer...call (785) 864-3506 which is KU Info-- responsible for handling any and all questions relating to KU.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Part of what makes Allen the top venue for basketball in the country is its character and charm. It harkens visitors back to a time when paint actually did peel and everything wasn't made out of plastic and glass. It is a nostalgic tribute to a storied program that reminds visitors that basketball is as much an art as it is a sport. And it is more of a lifestyle than a hobby. It reminds them that basketball was meant to be played in a gym and not a palace.

There something wonderful and mysterious in hearing that chant echo throughout the Fieldhouse and out the windows on the side.

BEWARE OF THE PHOG!