Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Chiefs

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would think that if Carl actually dealt TG, he would have to enter witness protection and move out of town.  Bad enough that he let the local Jesus-figure get so out of sorts that he would even want to leave. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Should have traded LJ after the Colts playoff game. 

If we trade TG, I hope he goes to a winner and gets a chance to play for a ring.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If it's really going to take so long to turn this Chiefs team around that TG will be retired by the time there is any hope of them competing, then Herm and Carl are doing it wrong.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: then Herm and Carl are doing it wrong.
You had thoughts that they were doing it right?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: Should have traded LJ after the Colts playoff game. 

If we trade TG, I hope he goes to a winner and gets a chance to play for a ring.

Why?  Is he a drinking buddy of yours or something?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No real reason...just be cool to see TG play for something of meaning since the Chiefs can't get it together. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You had thoughts that they were doing it right?
I was hopeful...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I wouldn't mind Tony being traded to a contender, especially if the Chiefs can get something for him.  I think of it like Ray Bourque.  He played 21 years for the Boston Bruins (NHL) with no Stanley Cup.  Was traded to the Colorado Avalanche in the twilight of his career and won the cup the next season.  It was a great story.  Boston fans, for the most part, supported the trade because it was obvious the Bruins were not going to be contenders anytime soon.
mizzouboard.info
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouboard.info »

I'm a Chiefs fan first, but Tony Gonzales really has given a lot to this team, which is why I wouldn't be sad to see him catch passes from Eli Manning.  If he goes and gets his Super Bowl ring with another team, I'd be happy for him.

We're a rebuilding team right now, we're going young, and when you get down to brass tacks, Tony G. can't be a part of those plans.  It would be short-sighted on the part of Chiefs management for them to take his potential future contributions into consideration.

Coffman would make an impact next year as a starter if we could pick him up, and as a younger, he has the longevity that we need for rebuilding.

I just hope we end up with something more sufficient than a 6th round draft pick for Tony G.

A 2nd and a 3rd, or two 3rds would be fine by me.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

mizzouboard.info wrote: If he goes and gets his Super Bowl ring with another team, I'd be happy for him.

Why?  I never, ever understood this reasoning from fans.  Do you drink beers with him?  Do you even know him?

Why would anyone be "happy" that some multi-gazillionaire athlete won a title for a team other than yours?    It's a very popular sentiment but I don't know why.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Kurt Warner/Draft Picks to the Chiefs because then he will have played for both Teams in MO,Tyler Thigpen/Draft Picks to the Bears because the their would be a Thigpen playing back in Chicago,Rex Grossman to the Jagars because a change might do better for him where it's warm and back to where he went to College and Draft Picks and other Players like Larry Johnson to Cardinals?
Tony Gonzalez to Bucs or to another NFC team that needs a upgrade a Tight End for the Strech Run.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports wrote: Kurt Warner/Draft Picks to the Chiefs because then he will have played for both Teams in MO,Tyler Thigpen/Draft Picks to the Bears because the their would be a Thigpen playing back in Chicago,Rex Grossman to the Jagars because a change might do better for him where it's warm and back to where he went to College and Draft Picks and other Players like Larry Johnson to Cardinals?
Tony Gonzalez to Bucs or to another NFC team that needs a upgrade a Tight End for the Strech Run.
Good ideas for trades on Madden09, but not at all realistic.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

What's Warren Moon up to these days?  :lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: What's Warren Moon up to these days?  :lol:
More like how long until Vick's parole.  :lol:  Culpepper never seemed that enthusiastic about retirement.  :lol:
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Maitre D wrote:
Why?  I never, ever understood this reasoning from fans.  Do you drink beers with him?   Do you even know him?

Why would anyone be "happy" that some multi-gazillionaire athlete won a title for a team other than yours?    It's a very popular sentiment but I don't know why.

Sport has always empassioned people and always will.  In our society, Sport has a special place.  People experience genuine emotion when it comes to their team's performance.  If a person's team loses a close, meaningful game, they may be sad or upset.  They may be extremely happy if their team wins.  Fans are emotionally tied to their "teams."  They always have been and always have been.  Without emotion, sport would be meaningless. 

I feel like what I just wrote is very obvious.

Further, since people have such close emotional ties with their respective "teams" it is only natural - and in fact expected - that these emotional ties would also stem to the individual players.  Whether you've ever met or spent time with the player on a personal level is completely irrelevant.  People wish good fortune on those who have been loyal and dedicated and decent to their "team."

KU fans love Bill Self and Wayne Simien and Paul Pierce and Mario Chalmers, and on and on and on.  KU fans wish these players well and wish them success.  However, I would bet .05% of these fans have ever met these people on a personal level.  KSU fans love Snyder, MU fans love Norm Stewart, etc.  Like family members, sport fans associate these guys as "one of their own," and as such, wish them well in whatever future endeavors they pursue.

Hence, like I don't find it odd for KU fans to pull for the Celtics because of Paul Pierce, I don't find it odd that KC fans would want Tony Gonzales to be rewarded for his long, dedicated service to the Chiefs and the NFL. 

Again, I think everything I have said is self evident, and I think you are fully aware of it. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KC-wildcat wrote: KU fans love Bill Self and Wayne Simien and Paul Pierce and Mario Chalmers, and on and on and on.  KU fans wish these players well and wish them success.  However, I would bet .05% of these fans have ever met these people on a personal level.  KSU fans love Snyder, MU fans love Norm Stewart, etc.  Like family members, sport fans associate these guys as "one of their own," and as such, wish them well in whatever future endeavors they pursue.

Hence, like I don't find it odd for KU fans to pull for the Celtics because of Paul Pierce, I don't find it odd that KC fans would want Tony Gonzales to be rewarded for his long, dedicated service to the Chiefs and the NFL. 

Again, I think everything I have said is self evident, and I think you are fully aware of it.   

I can truly say with every fiber of my body:  I do NOT love Bill Self, Paul Pierce, et al.    I never understood the love for Roy Williams, and wasn't upset when he left frankly.   

I'm glad you bring that up b/c you're right:  most people do.  It makes them oblivious to the mistakes those "heroes" make.    I could not care less if Mario Chalmers smokes pot.  But I do care if my family members get caught doing so.

"Heroes" are something you should out-grow by age 10.    The only one I sorta-still have is George Brett.  But if he was busted for a DUI tonite, would that ruin my life?  Yeah right!

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Maitre D wrote:
I can truly say with every fiber of my body:  I do NOT love Bill Self, Paul Pierce, et al.    I never understood the love for Roy Williams, and wasn't upset when he left frankly.     

I'm glad you bring that up b/c you're right:  most people do.   It makes them oblivious to the mistakes those "heroes" make.    I could not care less if Mario Chalmers smokes pot.   But I do care if my family members get caught doing so.

"Heroes" are something you should out-grow by age 10.    The only one I sorta-still have is George Brett.   But if he was busted for a DUI tonite, would that ruin my life?   Yeah right!
I never said that these sports icons are "heroes" or that they should be idolized by grown adults.  I agree with you on that point.  Further, I'm not trying to rationalize criminal behavior or justify sports fans' turning a blind eye when "one of their own" who commits a crime.

Support and admiration of an athlete - just like a politician or any other public figure - must be merited and deserved.  And, if the athlete is a good person and a role-model for kids, than it is only natural that fans will respect and wish well on that athlete.  See Tony Gonzales v. Larry Johnson.

Now, in terms of allegiance, Maitre D, i think you are not being honest with yourself.  If an MU player talks shit on a KU player through a media outlet or if Sports Center were to talk shit on a KU player, I guarantee you would naturally defend the KU guy (assuming the criticism was sports-related and not criminal).  Why?  Because KU is your school and you're loyal to KU and its players.  It's only natural.  You went to school there and probably have a sense of loyalty.  If not, you wouldn't be on the sports thread every day of the week, talking about KU and slamming KSU and MU.  You have a sense of loyalty to your university and players and defend and justify their actions (again, not criminal).  Thus, it's not crazy that Chiefs fans do the same thing with Tony Gonzales.  They respect the guy and are proud to have him associated with their franchise.  They wish him well.  What is wrong with this?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: "Heroes" are something you should out-grow by age 10.    The only one I sorta-still have is George Brett.   But if he was busted for a DUI tonite, would that ruin my life?   Yeah right!
Hey, he's already admitted to shitting his pants a couple times a year.  A DUI wouldn't make him any less cool.  :lol:

I agree with your post though.  I think it's sad when grown men act as if they have a real bond with their favorite players...shed tears over a guy like Wilt when he died...or threw a fit when Roy left Lawrence.  I was happy to see Roy leave once he made the decision, because who wants a guy coaching our team who would rather be in Chapel Hill?  People acted as if their spouse cheated on them.

What I especially hate is when adults get their panties in a wad when their child's "athlete hero" (or their own  :lol: )gets in trouble with the law.  "I thought he was a good citizen!  Then he goes and shoots someone at a strip club!  Some role model he is."
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KC-wildcat wrote: Now, in terms of allegiance, Maitre D, i think you are not being honest with yourself.  If an MU player talks shit on a KU player through a media outlet or if Sports Center were to talk shit on a KU player, I guarantee you would naturally defend the KU guy (assuming the criticism was sports-related and not criminal).  Why?  Because KU is your school and you're loyal to KU and its players.  It's only natural.  You went to school there and probably have a sense of loyalty.  If not, you wouldn't be on the sports thread every day of the week, talking about KU and slamming KSU and MU.  You have a sense of loyalty to your university and players and defend and justify their actions (again, not criminal).  Thus, it's not crazy that Chiefs fans do the same thing with Tony Gonzales.  They respect the guy and are proud to have him associated with their franchise.  They wish him well.  What is wrong with this?

100% false.  Read my comments on KU defensive lineman Jamal Greene, or my comments on Sherron Collins & CJ Giles, or my total indifference to the Mario-DA pot party.  I did not defend Joe Dooley when he dropped the F-You to Nick Fazekas either.

You'll have to search long and hard here, to find proof that I dismiss bad behavior only b/c a KU guy did it.

You can read my takes on the local pro teams as well, for more evidence of my "homer" tendencies.