KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Post by Highlander »

Kansas and Missouri may be playing each other in an exhibition game this Fall at the Sprint Center. I'd love to see it happen. It's certainly good for KC. If it happens, I hope it's on ESPN or something I can get outside the area - but not sure how that works with NCAA rules around exhibition games. I was pretty sure that with Mizzou's expected re-emergence with a great recruiting class, it was going to happen anyway in the NCAA tournament (the NCAA was at least going to do their best to ensure it) and it still may.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-co ... 02576.html
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Post by WoodDraw »

They'd have to get an exemption from the NCAA. They're positioning it as a one off charity game for hurricane relief. It wouldn't be a great look for the NCAA to say no.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WoodDraw wrote:They'd have to get an exemption from the NCAA. They're positioning it as a one off charity game for hurricane relief. It wouldn't be a great look for the NCAA to say no.
It's on.

Well it's on but not on TV. I suspect the no television part is via the NCAA. Still, it's great to see it happen. I am sure the tickets will be highly sought after. I just wonder how hotly contested the game will be as it's a non television exhibition game with players not really steeped in the traditions of the rivalry.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Is there any chance cordish could partner with someone and show the game outside now that the game is completely sold out? Agree to donate a percentage of proceedings to hurricane relief?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Rumblings that they are trying to get a Pay Per View option together.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

As a charity event it would make sense to have it be private televised and any place that does donates a cover charge or percent of takings to it.

Spread it far and wide with the goal of increasing takings
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote:Rumblings that they are trying to get a Pay Per View option together.
Yep. 40 bucks.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Highlander wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Rumblings that they are trying to get a Pay Per View option together.
Yep. 40 bucks.
Streaming only? Or am I missing something.

These things scare me because I spend $40 and then the site inevitably collapses and I waste a day trying to get a refund.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Streaming only, but plenty of bars will be streaming it.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The basketball rivalry has been renewed for 6 years, starting in 2020.

2 games in Lawrence
2 games in KC
2 games in Columbia
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm The basketball rivalry has been renewed for 6 years, starting in 2020.

2 games in Lawrence
2 games in KC
2 games in Columbia
Great news for KC and ultimately for both schools. I wish all the games were all in KC - it would mean bigger revenues for both schools. Bigger arena, bigger crowds, bigger gate receipts. It would not be the first rivalry game played exclusively at a neutral location (e.g., OU/Texas).
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Part of me is excited to see them play again. Part of me is sad there will never be a meaningful game between them ever again (unless they meet in the NCAA tournament). People will get amped up on both sides, but I think KU did this just to deflect from other news they've been making. I'm still bitter about MU leaving and actively campaigning for the blow-up of the great traditions of the old Big 8 for decades before.
Highlander wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 pm Great news for KC and ultimately for both schools. I wish all the games were all in KC - it would mean bigger revenues for both schools. Bigger arena, bigger crowds, bigger gate receipts. It would not be the first rivalry game played exclusively at a neutral location (e.g., OU/Texas).
Other than built-in hype for a game that may feature mediocre teams, having it at the Sprint Center is really designed to help MU and provides little other upside to KU. 50% arena capacity is fewer ticket sales than KU normally gets for a game at Sprint Center. If KU loses, it helps MU. If MU loses, MU still gets a hype game on national TV that KU would've gotten anyway, and nobody is shocked that KU wins. If Bill Self leaves and/or there are post-season bans, maybe it isn't such a bad thing, but for now I can only see it as a deflection from other things in the news.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just really do not understand why MU and Nebraska found it advantageous to leave. Both have not contended for national championships in their new league, have to travel huge distances and have developed mediocre rivals at best. They should come back.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I wasn't best pleased with the decision at the time, but I also didn't fully appreciate how much of a dick Texas was.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm I just really do not understand why MU and Nebraska found it advantageous to leave. Both have not contended for national championships in their new league, have to travel huge distances and have developed mediocre rivals at best. They should come back.
Texas fucked up the conference, the leadership refused to stand up to them, and Colorado, mu, am, and nebraska all said no thanks.

The conference would still be around without Texas trying and failing to take control of the conference and dictate how it was run
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:27 pm Texas fucked up the conference, the leadership refused to stand up to them...
Not to start that discussion all over again, but one team can only muscle 11 others with permission from some of that group. They should have stuck together better.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:31 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:27 pm Texas fucked up the conference, the leadership refused to stand up to them...
Not to start that discussion all over again, but one team can only muscle 11 others with permission from some of that group. They should have stuck together better.
The point is they all could get more money and support from other organizations. I don't think a single one of them regrets their choice.

It was about television and supporting the whole conference, the big 12 said no, and other conferences came calling. I wish we still had what we had, but you have to hold the people responsible for their historically bad leadership.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:49 am Part of me is excited to see them play again. Part of me is sad there will never be a meaningful game between them ever again (unless they meet in the NCAA tournament). People will get amped up on both sides, but I think KU did this just to deflect from other news they've been making. I'm still bitter about MU leaving and actively campaigning for the blow-up of the great traditions of the old Big 8 for decades before.
Highlander wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 pm Great news for KC and ultimately for both schools. I wish all the games were all in KC - it would mean bigger revenues for both schools. Bigger arena, bigger crowds, bigger gate receipts. It would not be the first rivalry game played exclusively at a neutral location (e.g., OU/Texas).
Other than built-in hype for a game that may feature mediocre teams, having it at the Sprint Center is really designed to help MU and provides little other upside to KU. 50% arena capacity is fewer ticket sales than KU normally gets for a game at Sprint Center. If KU loses, it helps MU. If MU loses, MU still gets a hype game on national TV that KU would've gotten anyway, and nobody is shocked that KU wins. If Bill Self leaves and/or there are post-season bans, maybe it isn't such a bad thing, but for now I can only see it as a deflection from other things in the news.
Fans will always over-analyze this stuff. There's no reason to make the lead up to the return of the rivalry a win-lose scenario. There will be a winner and loser on the court that will be determined only by score at the final buzzer. The simple fact is that the vast majority of fans want to see this happen. They will vote with ticket sales. These tickets will be the most sought after tickets for both Kansas and Mizzou for the next 6 years (excepting, of course, late runs in the NCAA). It's WIN-WIN for the fans which is ultimately all that matters.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I expect a football announcement when scheduling allows it, in KC.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I honestly haven't heard KU fans calling for the basketball game to come back, so maybe I'm unplugged from the vast majority. As for football, that one limits your scheduling options a lot more. Basketball games can be thrown on the calendar at will, but football games are harder to schedule in the non-con. Mizzou has 4 games to choose from, and KU only has 3. Since a lot of programs "get good" by scheduling weak teams, it would be interesting to see if Les Miles was interested in a true home/away exchange or a home/away at Arrowhead. If they're going to do it, I'd love it if they scheduled it in Nov. as the last game of the season. While it wouldn't have much in the way of conference implications, it could still be an important game for bowl reasons. I'm sure there is zero chance of that happening, though.