World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by rxlexi » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 am

Yeah, I've got to think when you're inclusive of Mexico and Canada, for KC to host any game at all would be a major coup. And not likely.

KanzaSphinx
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KanzaSphinx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Just so we are all clear, with the expanded field there will be 16 cities out of a possible 23 options. Mexico and Canada each have 3 options so if we just assume all 6 are selected what we are really looking at is 10 US cities picked from a field of 17. So really we just need to be selected over 7 other cities in the US, and no Chicago Minneapolis or PHX is huge for our chances. I doubt TX and FL will get two cities, same with Baltimore/D.C. So that is 3 I think we can safely throw out. That leaves us with 4 cities we would need to beat out and that seems doable IMO.

alejandro46
Pad site
Pad site

Post by alejandro46 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:49 pm

One of our lowest scores in the FIFA review and the biggest feasible improvement KC could make is improving connectivity to the stadiums. I recommended Streetcar expansion in my opinion makes the most sense long term to help develop the east side. Obviously, funding + time frame would be difficulty. Would have to be partially done in parallel to UMKC extension which already faces (federal) funding questions.

Russia had a brief driverless bus route that took guests to and from the stadium:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-in-kazan

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Lol in 8 years? No way. Nope. Don't even dream.

We can satisfy with a bus line for the event.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:00 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm
Lol in 8 years? No way. Nope. Don't even dream.

We can satisfy with a bus line for the event.
Correct. A higher-quality* BRT route on Linwood/31st from Southwest Blvd to the stadiums can be planned, designed, and built in five years with minimal federal investment.

* Articulated electric buses, 100% level boarding, off-board fare collection, dedicated lanes, adjacent protected bike facility.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Yeah that even seems like a heavy lift and that wouldn't get clear to stadiums I wouldn't think logistically. Feel like best case would be van brunt.

GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by GRID » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:49 pm

alejandro46 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:49 pm
One of our lowest scores in the FIFA review and the biggest feasible improvement KC could make is improving connectivity to the stadiums. I recommended Streetcar expansion in my opinion makes the most sense long term to help develop the east side. Obviously, funding + time frame would be difficulty. Would have to be partially done in parallel to UMKC extension which already faces (federal) funding questions.

Russia had a brief driverless bus route that took guests to and from the stadium:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-in-kazan
Why would you ever run the streetcar to the stadiums? I’m still not understanding this idea of running streetcars all over the metro as if they are commuter or heavy rail transit options. In cities with downtown stadiums and extensive light rail systems in dedicated right of way and with multiple trains have a hard time dealing with stadium crowds. So how would a small, slow streetcar do that would likely be in mixed traffic do?

If you don’t build a true rapid transit line along the I-70 corridor that can move a lot of people quickly, I think it would be pointless to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a streetcar extension through a relatively sparsely populated and industrial area. Better off spending that money to build streetcar spurs in the urban core such as to wesport, KU med, west side, Indep Ave.

I can’t imagine even the most robust streetcar line coming anywhere close to moving as many people as the old Chiefs Express did with buses.

Am I missing something with KC’s streetcar system? I just don’t see how it could really be anymore more than a people mover in the urban core. Even if they could go 50 mph down the middle of I-70 in a dedicated right of way, I don’t see how they would really be ideal for longer commutes compared to even light rail trains.

I have never seen an urban tram just transition into a regional train system. They typical co-exist and compliment light/heavy/commuter rail. I know people bring up Houston, but they have built more of a light rail infrastructure for their trains, even in the downtown area.

rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by rxlexi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I agree Grid, I think it would be crazy to run the streetcar out to TSC, or any rail for that matter. Total waste of resources.

As long we're stuck with TSC, let's just enjoy the fact that we have two beautiful, borderline historic stadiums, maybe push for better surrounding infrastructure (and perhaps a couple of sports bars), and resign ourselves to the fact that a sports complex on a freeway interchange in damn-near Independence is never going to be an urban solution to the pro-sports question. And that's OK.

Long term, would love to see a new ballpark downtown but until talk gets more serious, hard to discuss in detail. And I think there is a legit argument that some folks really do value the quality and history of the existing stadia.

Frankly, the one that really hurts is Sporting KC - woulda/coulda/shoulda been downtown.