Best cycling trails in the KC area?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Best cycling trails in the KC area?

Post by Highlander »

If you want to ride for a couple of hours (25+ miles or so) on trails without auto interference, where are the best places in the KC area to go? I have a hybrid and prefer not to ride on streets. Seems like most of the better long trails in the area are along the Indian/Tomahawk Creek and Mill Creek valleys in Johnson County. But it's difficult to tell which ones are continuous via google map. Does anybody here ride these or other trails in the area?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Best cycling trails in the KC area?

Post by grovester »

Mill Creek is continuous from the Kaw all the way south to 119th Street. We've taken Indian Creek from 95th/Antioch all the way to Holmes.

This is a good map: http://www.marc.org/Transportation/Mode ... keways-Map
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I just cycle casually or to get from A to B in city, so don't know those trails. Most of the others are shorter. For 'leisure/enjoyment' riding, I like the Brookside Trolley trail but 'sporting/endurance' cyclists don't like it because of a lot of foot traffic (UMKC to Waldo) and many roads to cross - the nature of trails in the city. It starts near Plaza (behind Russell Stover candy HQ) to 85th Street then bends west to behind old Bannister Fed complex and then unofficially extends to dirt paths along Blue River if I recall (haven't gone that far). Still something to check out you if end up moving downtown (can take bike on bus from downtown to UMKC MAX stop along trail).

Also like the Smithville Lake trails (paved and dirt) but they break up and not contiguously off road 25+ miles, which you are seeking - can make it work if willing to ride country highways in parts. I don't ride for sport otherwise and don't know other trails in area.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I've ridden the Little Blue River trail form Blue Mills road in northern Independence all the way to Lee's Summit Road. It's crushed limestone. I have a hybrid. Don't know if it's 25 miles, but it's very well maintained. I believe they are going to extend it all the way to Knobtown to link up with the Rock Island trail when it opens.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We tried out the Line Creek trail this week, pretty sweet, wide concrete with bike stations at the trail heads (air, tools). Nice mix of sun and shade, flat and hills. Goes from Vivion to 152 with plans to connect to Parkville. Looking forward to exploring the rest of it soon!

http://www.platteparks.com/line-creek-trail/