College Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2014 - 2015 College Football Season

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: Having watched TCU numerous times, however, I think they are the only one of the three capable of winning it all. I kind of feel tOSU got extra points for its large following.
Ohio State did have the worst loss, but they also had the best wins. Having that 13th game to redeem themselves certainly helped. While TCU beat an 0-8 ISU team at home 55-3, Ohio State beat #13 on a neutral field 59-0....in their 13th game, winning their conference. I am sure Ohio State's following played a part but they also made a statement and I'm sure that played a part also.
Highlander wrote:How well does Mizzou travel these days? I don't know if it was camera angle or what but the Georgia dome seemed 90-95% Alabama. A see of red.
The Georgia Dome wasn't different from last year.
Highlander wrote:Is Minnesota going bring the faithful to Jacksonville?
I certainly hope all the Minnesota fans go to Jacksonville. It will be awesome to have them there while the Mizzou fans are in Orlando, where the game is played. However, I suspect the Minnesota fans will be really pumped for this game. But Mizzou fans may not gopher it.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Only one with Big 12 affiliation was from West Virginia. Each of the other conferences have at least 2
Each of the other conferences also have 12+ teams. Why should the Big 12 be treated as an equal when it's the only conference that doesn't have enough teams for a conference championship game?

The 4 playoff teams are the 4 teams that won their conference championship games (over ranked teams). The only conference left out was the only conference that couldn't decide who the champion was. It's a "playoff selection committee," not a "choose our conference champion" committee.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

AllThingsKC wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote: Only one with Big 12 affiliation was from West Virginia. Each of the other conferences have at least 2
Each of the other conferences also have 12+ teams. Why should the Big 12 be treated as an equal when it's the only conference that doesn't have enough teams for a conference championship game?

The 4 playoff teams are the 4 teams that won their conference championship games (over ranked teams). The only conference left out was the only conference that couldn't decide who the champion was. It's a "playoff selection committee," not a "choose our conference champion" committee.
Dude, you are pathetic.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Barring a 59 point win by OSU, TCU is in. That's a borderline freak event.

So the Big 12 should have a tiebreaker to determine a conference champion. That's just a huge oversight. But it would have to be a tiebreaker because under NCAA rules they don't have enough teams for a conference title game. That would make Baylor the Big 12 champion. But the playoff committee seems to have determined that the TCU-Baylor game was essentially a tie and had no bearing on their ranking relative to each other. And they don't seem to give a crap about conference bylaws. Which means that TCU probably would have finished 5th and Baylor 6th anyway.

It's awkward and weird. But once the committee saw what OSU did, there's no scenario that doesn't give us the 4 teams we have in the playoff. Does a tie-breaker champion Baylor vault over TCU and OSU? Nope. Baylor's coach can bitch all he wants about One True Champion, but even with a tiebreaker he'd be sitting home.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I, of course, have no problem pointing the finger at the Big 12's leadership and criticizing them for screwing over their own members... again.

But, I do have to wonder how TCU was #3....won, then fell to #6. I guess that Ohio State win over #13 was more impressive than TCU's win over winless Iowa State. Still, you win and drop 3 spots? I question the playoff committee about that. Though, I feel the Big 12 is ultimately responsible. Ohio State was able to redeem themselves with that championship game. If TCU had played in the championship game, they would be in the playoff.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Baylor-KSU was a better matchup than the B1G title game. Baylor was ranked above OSU and K-State was ranked 4 spots higher than Wisconsin. It wasn't a title game against TCU but it was a game against a top 10 team, played on the same weekend as other conference title games. It shouldn't have mattered that one was called a title game and the other wasn't. So in hindsight the opportunity was there for Baylor. Given the way things turned out, it certainly looks like if they routed the Wildcats they'd have vaulted over TCU and gotten into the playoff. But the fact that they beat a better team and still got leapfrogged really seems to indicate that after OSU hung 59, the only hope for a Big 12 team was a FSU loss.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

TCU's only loss was a dang close loss to the team that ended up #5.
Ohio State's only loss was an early one to a 6-6 VT.
Oregon's only loss was to a #12 Arizona that they ended up getting revenge on in the CCG.
Bama lost to #9 Ole Miss, who is presumably the #9 team because they didn't play and thus didn't lose yesterday while #'s 10-12 did (#10 GT against FSU, #11 KSU against Baylor, #12 Arizona against Oregon)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Ole Miss and K-State both played the same number of games. Ohio State played an extra game.

Again, I question why the committee had TCU as #3. Then TCU wins and DROPS THREE SPOTS? Yes, the Big 12 is at fault for not having a CGG. But I'd like to know what the committee was thinking with that one.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

AllThingsKC wrote: But I'd like to know what the committee was thinking with that one.
That Ohio State has a big fan base/market.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Adding Cincy and BYU (or Memphis) would make sense at this point, no? Pretty clear you need a conference championship game to be in the national championship game.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCMax wrote:Adding Cincy and BYU (or Memphis) would make sense at this point, no? Pretty clear you need a conference championship game to be in the national championship game.

Considering the Power 5 conferences can pretty much walk all over the NCAA, I'm pretty sure we can petition to have CCG with 10 teams. We may need to split back into arbitrary divisions for no reason, but who cares? Just get it done. No need to further water down the league by forcing the addition of two teams nobody wants or league doesn't need. BYU is the only one that makes any sense in my opinion - and that's a stretch geographically. It's almost 2K miles from Morgantown to Provo.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote:
KCMax wrote:Adding Cincy and BYU (or Memphis) would make sense at this point, no? Pretty clear you need a conference championship game to be in the national championship game.

Considering the Power 5 conferences can pretty much walk all over the NCAA, I'm pretty sure we can petition to have CCG with 10 teams. We may need to split back into arbitrary divisions for no reason, but who cares? Just get it done. No need to further water down the league by forcing the addition of two teams nobody wants or league doesn't need. BYU is the only one that makes any sense in my opinion - and that's a stretch geographically. It's almost 2K miles from Morgantown to Provo.
Can we dump WV for Boise State?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don't know if anyone watched the Big 10 championship, but Wisconsin threw that game. Sure, 59-0 looks like something big, but that was all a play to get OSU into the championship.

But, here is why it went the way it did:

Jeff Long- Arkansas-SEC
Barry Alvarez- Wisconsin-Big 10
Tom Osborne- Big 10
Mike Gould- Air Force- Born in Ohio
Pat Haden- USC-Pac12
Tom Jernstedt- Oregon- Pac12
Condelezza Rice- Stanford-Pac 12
Tyrone Willingham- Stanford, ND, Washington- Pac12/ND
Dan Radakovich- Clemson-ACC
Mike Tranghese- Big East
Steve Weiberg- Sports Writer

Oliver Luck- WV- Big East/Big 12

Big East likely had more advocates than Big 12.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Plus what many are saying a stronger non-conference schedule.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

WSPanic wrote:

The Big 12 has already asked the NCAA if they can be exempt from the 12 team rule, and the NCAA denied the request. That doesn't mean the Big 12 can't ask again.

50 Nos and a yes means yes.

As far as expansion goes, BYU won't be in the Big 12 any time soon. They refuse to play on Sundays, which is many of the less popular sports are played. Not playing on Sundays would give BYU an unfair advantage for late travel times that the other universities would not be exempt from.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

I'm an Ohio State alum, and there weren't nothing strong about our non-con.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote:

The Big 12 has situated itself in a no win position within the Power 5. As stated, it is possible that two added teams could diminish the quality of football in the Big 12.

As for getting buy-in for a championship game, I don't see how that would happen either. The 4 conferences with a championship game all got their conference champion into the playoffs, and I'm sure they would prefer it stay that way. There is no way they would vote to allow the Big 12 to have a championship game with 10 teams because it diminishes the importance of all other championship games. The 13th game is pretty much the only reason why Ohio State was allowed into the playoff. As much as the championship game can hurt when there is parity in the game, there are years like this one in which the top 4 teams are all conference champions.

The writing appears to be on the wall that the Big 12 needs to find two additional teams to have any long-term viability. My guess is that the playoffs add 4 more teams within two or three years, but that won't eliminate the favoritism showed to the other conferences. To be fair, the extra game of exposure is a legimately reasonable way to place one team above another. I think it is ridiculous that the Big 12 has to ask someone else if it can have a championship game, but those are the rules.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:

Navy, VA Tech, Kent State. And VA Tech was an L. But Baylor's SMU, Northwestern State (LA), and Buffalo was pretty horrible. TCU's Samford, Minnesota, SMU noncon was the best of the bunch.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

chaglang wrote:
KCMax wrote:

Navy, VA Tech, Kent State. And VA Tech was an L. But Baylor's SMU, Northwestern State (LA), and Buffalo was pretty horrible. TCU's Samford, Minnesota, SMU noncon was the best of the bunch.
But both TCU and Baylor had to play in the Big 12, which should trump OSU's non-con. Look at FSU- every seek toward the end, they were dropped due to, in large part, SOS, with a non-con of Oklahoma Stat,e Notre Dame and Florida! (All under performing, but they weren't when they were scheduled)

Big 12 needs to be patient. TCU absolutely got screwed. They seemed to have been penalized for having the best loss of any of the one loss teams. But if both FSU and OSU lose we have two teams in. If FSU doesn't go undefeated, we move ahead of them every time. The ACC is the conference that will be overcome by the four team playoff. But if we are coerced into adding a championship game, part of the deal had better be that the other conferences play nine games.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

But if we are coerced into adding a championship game, part of the deal had better be that the other conferences play nine games.
For what it's worth, all 4 playoff teams did play 9 conference games, except for Oregon who played 10. But unlike the Big 12, the other 4 conferences only had 1 champion.