College Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 2014 - 2015 College Football Season

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:They should have started with 8. As it stands now, at least 1, and possibly 2, conference champions will be out.

And how exactly is the Big 12 champion determined?

If Baylor and TCU win this weekend, they are co-champions but TCU is ranked higher despite losing to Baylor.

If TCU and K-State win this weekend, they are co-champions and TCU has the tie-breaker. But K-State would still get a championship trophy.

And according to ESPN, the Big 12 will only acknowledge Baylor's head-to-head win over TCU if both Baylor & TCU are left out of the playoff. That really sucks for Baylor since (if they win this weekend), their only crime is being in a conference that screws over its members. Of course, they could lose this weekend and it would be a moot point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 got 2 teams in the playoff and I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 is unable to fill all of its bowl slots. What a mess. But hey, the Big 12's motto is "One True Champion."

As far as the SEC goes, things are a mess for the playoffs. The SEC could be left out completely or the SEC could get up 2 teams in (though I don't know which SEC team would be worth a 2nd spot). Worst case for the SEC is being left completely but still having 12 bowl-eligible teams. Weird stuff.
There's no requirements that participants in the playoffs be conference champions so it really doesn't matter what the B12 does or who they support. If TCU beats ISU, they are essentially a lock and probably deservingly so as they are the best team in the B12....they have a developed a decent defense and their offense is exceptional. I doubt if Baylor goes or has a chance to go under any circumstance. The B12's position is simply aligned with the original intent of the CFP.

Conference championship games are a relatively recent phenomena and really a function of outsized conferences getting too large to even function as conferences. With 14 teams, the SEC and the B1G are really more of a business affiliation - has Mizzou even played LSU or MSU in the 3 years it's been in the conference? Or Auburn outside of the SEC championship? I don't think the Big VIII ever had a championship game in football. I don't remember the Big X having one. I guess if the playoff format went to 8 teams and took the top 5 conference champs, the Big XII would have to devise a way of settling the matter but there's no real need presently.

With an 8 team format - that's 3 post season games in addition to a conference championship game for the two teams to make it to the final. I suspect that an 8 team format will be eventually enacted but that's a lot of games and downs for amateur players. The average college game already has 35-40% more plays than an NFL game- that's a lot of opportunity for career ending/limiting injuries not to mention the issues it creates for the 90% who will never play a down in the NFL. At least it will never get to a field of 64.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

But that's my question: If Baylor and TCU both finish 11-1, and Baylor beat TCU, how is TCU the best Big 12 team?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:But that's my question: If Baylor and TCU both finish 11-1, and Baylor beat TCU, how is TCU the best Big 12 team?
It's the overall resume (which includes a TCU win over a good non conference foe) plus the Baylor game is practically ancient history at this point. You realize don't you that you are going to get the same thing if Missouri beats Alabama. From all that I've read, the momentum to get Alabama into the CFP regardless of the SEC championship outcome is already on the move. Frankly - I think many in the SEC see what I see - Alabama is vulnerable.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote:But that's my question: If Baylor and TCU both finish 11-1, and Baylor beat TCU, how is TCU the best Big 12 team?
More than one game makes a season. Forget the names of the teams, so there is team A and team B. A beats B buts A's loss is to an unranked team at the end of the season. A's other games are wins but rather unimpressive and team stats are rather average. On the other hand B's other games are wins also but are impressive and overall team stats are near the top.
In other words a season is more than one game.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Because TCU's only loss was a three point road loss to one of the best teams in the country, while Baylor's only loss was a two touchdown drubbing to a 7-5 team.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Big 12 Announces There Could Be Two "One True Champions"

The Big 12 (with 10 teams) is bad at math.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Looks like for one Division I program this is it's last season. UAB has announced it is dropping football because of costs. At least it is ending with a possible bowl bid.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Congrats to Mizzou on another great year. You can say what you want about the schedule, but 10-2 is still impressive. It is one of the most quiet 10-2 seasons I can remember from a regional team.

The college football side of me wants to see Mizzou upset Alabama and to cause turmoil in the rankings.

The pragmatist in me thinks they most likely will lose by multiple touchdowns (current spread is 14).

The Jayhawk in me wants to see the turncoats lose by 50.

All that said... Alabama has only just scraped by in a few games this season and can definitely be beat. It will be pretty interesting to watch regardless. While I love the conference championship games and think the Big 12 needs to add teams to get there, this is exactly the scenario the SEC dreaded all along. An Alabama loss could lead to zero teams in the inaugural playoff.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mike Riley of Oregon State hired as Nebraska's coach.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KU hires Texas A&M WR coach David Beaty as head coach
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:KU hires Texas A&M WR coach David Beaty as head coach
Wow. Saving money, I guess? Our last hire without head coaching experience worked out pretty well, but it required a ton of patience. Recruiting and Texas are the path to success, I guess. He certainly has background with KU, but I'm not sure if that is really what we need right now.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

bobbyhawks wrote:
Wow. Saving money, I guess? Our last hire without head coaching experience worked out pretty well, but it required a ton of patience. Recruiting and Texas are the path to success, I guess. He certainly has background with KU, but I'm not sure if that is really what we need right now.
I think we needed a cheap hire who can recruit Texas. If it doesn't work out, he won't cost us 6 million to part with. I'm sure we could've gotten a bigger name for sure, but that comes with a bigger financial risk. The good thing is we know he can't do any worse than the last two bums....or so I hope!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I wonder if the Oregon State guy that Nebraska just hired or Bo Pelini were considered?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Hasn't KU been paying out money to their last few coaches years after each one left? Seems like they were trying to avoid making that mistake again.

But if you're going to go cheap, I am mildly surprised the interim coach didn't get the nod, considering his win over Iowa State and very competitive game against the #4 team in the country.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Looks like for one Division I program this is it's last season. UAB has announced it is dropping football because of costs. At least it is ending with a possible bowl bid.
Hawaii is another considering the same. Unlike UAB, Hawaii has had a fairly decent program but their travel cost must be enormous. If you want to see the long term prognosis for much of college football - look at the half empty student sections for even most major programs.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Despite the Big 12 possibly having a team in the playoff, all is not well in Big 12 land. Baylor coach Art Briles had a heated conversation with Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby during the Baylor's trophy presentation.

Baylor coach slams Big 12's policy
"If I'm the commissioner of a league, then these universities are his kids, I would think. And so you love 'em all the same, but sometimes you have to differentiate between who you present as one or two," Briles said. "That was kind of the gist of the conversation. I mean, don't go public and say that we're going to present as co-champs if our bylaws say head-to-head determines who goes into a bowl game if neither one of us are in the top four."
Big 12 is one true conundrum entering final playoff ranking
You get Baylor coach Art Briles, who should be enjoying a second consecutive championship, dressing down commissioner Bob Bowlsby on a podium in front of 47,934 fans who agree with the coach. You get lines such as, "The real champs, Bowlsby!" and " Have pride in your conference, Bowlsby!" You get chants such as "One true champ!" and "Head-to-head!" You get Bowlsby shuttled through an angry crowd on his way off the McLane Stadium field.
The Big 12 changed its championship rules a week before the end of the regular season.

A Big 12 school unhappy with the Big 12? What a shock! &
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There's no crying in football.

Edit: Shenanigans!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Playoff teams: Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, and Ohio State.

Mizzou vs. Minnesota in the Citrus Bowl on January 1st.
K-State vs. UCLA in the Alamo Bowl on January 2nd.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Playoff teams: Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, and Ohio State.

Mizzou vs. Minnesota in the Citrus Bowl on January 1st.
K-State vs. UCLA in the Alamo Bowl on January 2nd.
You can argue about the choice of playoff teams - but in my opinion, TCU, Baylor and tOSU were all nearly interchangeable parts. I thought OSU had the worst loss of the three but there were pros and cons to all of them. Having watched TCU numerous times, however, I think they are the only one of the three capable of winning it all. I kind of feel tOSU got extra points for its large following.

How well does Mizzou travel these days? I don't know if it was camera angle or what but the Georgia dome seemed 90-95% Alabama. A see of red. Is Minnesota going bring the faithful to Jacksonville?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Look at the names on the selection committee and you see why the Big 12 got left out. Only one with Big 12 affiliation was from West Virginia. Each of the other conferences have at least 2. It also shows you why TCU was ranked higher than Baylor even though the lost to them. I'm sure WV rep and former Big East leader pushed them up. Biased.