2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: 2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Post by KCtonic »

longviewmo wrote:
KCMax wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Speaking of college coaches, anyone think Pelini will survive this season?
I know you mean Bo, but his brother Carl just got canned by Florida Atlantic for being 2-6. Oh and he used drugs.
He actually has some ties to KC. Former Winnetonka coach.
Blue Valley DC, then Winnetonka Head Coach & Athletic Director.

Maybe he can go into Journalism since he has a Masters in Journalism at K-State! I didn't even realize K-State had a J-school.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Big crowd at the kansas game today. Too bad that so many ku fans are missing one of the teams best chances to break the conference losing streak thus far.
At least they have a sense of humor though
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KU fans trying to take home the goal posts...

http://deadspin.com/kansas-snaps-big-12 ... socialflow
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mizzou vs. Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl.

K-State vs. Michigan in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mack Brown out at Texas.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

KCMax wrote:Mack Brown out at Texas.
I gotta admit, I'm truly surprised. Wow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Texas has been making eyes at Nick Saban for a couple of months.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chaglang wrote:Texas has been making eyes at Nick Saban for a couple of months.
There are already reports saying that just that will happen. But both UT and Brown are saying Brown's not leaving. And Saban is saying he's not leaving.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

No bowl game talk? Big 12 off to a decent start, 2-1- K-State wins, setting up a run for next year, Texas plays uninspired and loses to Oregon to end the Mack Brown era, Texas Tech easily beats #14 ASU. Tomorrow Baylor gets UCF in the Fiesta, Thursday, OU vs Bama in the Sugar, and Friday OSU vs MU in the Cotton. Can the Big 12 go 5-1? (It will be quite a stretch, but we were not expecting to beat ASU)
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

harbinger911 wrote:The "best" of the Big 12 (I call it the Big Nowhere)
Hi-larious. Did you come up with that all by yourself? Do you also spell Kansas with a lowercase k, and write kU? because those are also really awesome things to do on the internet if you want to seem witty.

What a silly thing to troll about.
Last edited by chingon on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chingon wrote:
harbinger911 wrote:The "best" of the Big 12 (I call it the Big Nowhere)
Hi-larious. Did you come up with that all by yourself? Do you also spell Kansas with a lowercase k, and write kU? because those are also really awesome things to do on the internet if you want to seem witty.
More like GAY-hawks. Amirite?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote:
OMG, u so r...its funny cause it rhymes AND because its homophobic! Bi-fecta!

p.s. - I call it the "Big Irrelve" or the "Big 12 minus 2" hahahahahahah! Makes those chickenbeakers crazy, which I call "gay-Z". SEC4Lyfe!!!!!

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

harbinger911 wrote:The "best" of the Big 12 (I call it the Big Nowhere) Baylor gets a$$-pounded by UCF lol.

SEC is 4-2 so far with 4 left to play.
GA should have beat NE - NE has to be the luckiest team in the history of sports.
Dropping the first down ball near the goal line with under a minute to play is unconscionable.

SEC should sweep these last 4 games to go 8-2.
Bama will crush OU - piling on more embarrassment for the "Big Nowhere".
And naturally, it's proven again that whoever wins the SEC Title game is National Champion - just like the last 7 years has shown.
The SEC Title game IS the National Championship game - they play the bowl games just for money. :-)
I'll feed the troll (and the SEC is actually 5-1). I don't know if many people have talked about the SEC BCS rankings vs. BCS ranking of opponents, but the SEC somehow always gets very favorable matchups (by ranking). The average BCS ranking advantage for SEC teams in bowl games this season is +6.9. The average BCS advantage for Big 12 teams is -10.7. Baylor, the only team in the Big 12 with a ranking advantage, would have the 5th best ranking advantage of any bowl matchup in the SEC. Georgia lost by 5 more points than did Baylor, and they were a 15 position advantage over Nebraska (vs. 9 position for Baylor).

If the archaic bowl system actually pinned equivalent teams against one another, perhaps we'd get a decent picture of whether or not conferences are overrated (like we do in the NCAA tournament via PASE). When the gulf is so distant in many of these games (not just SEC games), we really don't learn much of anything. I don't think anyone looks at the #1 vs. #16 or #1 vs. #8/9 matchups in the NCAA tournament to prove anything other than a team is ranked inappropriately if they are upset. The SEC is clearly ranked as the best conference this year, and they are, but games like LSU/Iowa, Georgia/Nebraska, and Vandy/Houston only prove something if the heavy favorite loses. Wins and losses tallies are meaningless without context.

By BCS ranking expectations, the Big 12 is actually performing above expectations (1 win above expectations), and SEC teams have exactly as many wins as one would expect so far. So when you say the SEC should sweep its remaining games, technically the -1 BCS ranking disadvantage for Auburn has them losing to FSU. 8-2 is the expected outcome. There is no doubt the top end of the SEC is quite stellar, but it is a bit disingenuous to ignore the ranking disparity enjoyed by the middle tier teams. If Vandy beats Houston (15 position Vandy advantage), 4 of the SEC's potential 9 wins will be to teams ranked 10 slots below them or more.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chingon wrote:
KCMax wrote:
OMG, u so r...its funny cause it rhymes AND because its homophobic! Bi-fecta!

p.s. - I call it the "Big Irrelve" or the "Big 12 minus 2" hahahahahahah! Makes those chickenbeakers crazy, which I call "gay-Z". SEC4Lyfe!!!!!

Gawd, where did that graphic come from? Made my stomach hurt.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

A&M squeaks by Duke, LSU squeaks by a very mediocre Iowa team, Georgia loses to a very mediocre Nebraska team, South Carolina squeaks by a mediocre Wisconsin team. SEC is lucky not to be 2-4 right now. They can count their blessings that they have so many favorable matchups. Vandy should beat Houston (how is Vandy bowl eligible again? Oh yeah- from playing four cupcakes OOC, while in the Nig 12 they would only get three, and feasting on a weak SEC schedule of Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and Kentucky). Look for FSU to win the championship and if Big Game Bob could beat a decent team in a BCS game to save his life, look for OU to beat Alabama.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

bobbyhawks wrote:By BCS ranking expectations, the Big 12 is actually performing above expectations (1 win above expectations), and SEC teams have exactly as many wins as one would expect so far. So when you say the SEC should sweep its remaining games, technically the -1 BCS ranking disadvantage for Auburn has them losing to FSU. 8-2 is the expected outcome. There is no doubt the top end of the SEC is quite stellar, but it is a bit disingenuous to ignore the ranking disparity enjoyed by the middle tier teams. If Vandy beats Houston (15 position Vandy advantage), 4 of the SEC's potential 9 wins will be to teams ranked 10 slots below them or more.
This is very detailed and very well thought-out. But, I'm not sure many people care about anything else but head-to-head.
shinatoo wrote:Gawd, where did that graphic come from? Made my stomach hurt.
I believe it was made as a joke by someone on Tigerboard. If it was made to be serious, I would cry for humanity.
phxcat wrote:A&M squeaks by Duke, LSU squeaks by a very mediocre Iowa team, Georgia loses to a very mediocre Nebraska team, South Carolina squeaks by a mediocre Wisconsin team. SEC is lucky not to be 2-4 right now. They can count their blessings that they have so many favorable matchups. Vandy should beat Houston (how is Vandy bowl eligible again? Oh yeah- from playing four cupcakes OOC, while in the Nig 12 they would only get three, and feasting on a weak SEC schedule of Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and Kentucky). Look for FSU to win the championship and if Big Game Bob could beat a decent team in a BCS game to save his life, look for OU to beat Alabama.
Why does this logic only apply to the SEC? Arizona State chocked to Texas Tech and K-State beat an injured Michigan team. The Big 12 is lucky to not be 0-4 right now, with the possibly of 0-6! But, by all means, go ahead and bash the conference that actually wins the majority of its bowl games (again). That won't make you look jealous at all.

But hey, congrats to the Big 12 for the TWO or THREE Bowl games they'll win this year. That's less than the 4 bowl wins the Big 12 had last year. You must be so proud of the Big 12's "upgrade."
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:By BCS ranking expectations, the Big 12 is actually performing above expectations (1 win above expectations), and SEC teams have exactly as many wins as one would expect so far. So when you say the SEC should sweep its remaining games, technically the -1 BCS ranking disadvantage for Auburn has them losing to FSU. 8-2 is the expected outcome. There is no doubt the top end of the SEC is quite stellar, but it is a bit disingenuous to ignore the ranking disparity enjoyed by the middle tier teams. If Vandy beats Houston (15 position Vandy advantage), 4 of the SEC's potential 9 wins will be to teams ranked 10 slots below them or more.
This is very detailed and very well thought-out. But, I'm not sure many people care about anything else but head-to-head.
shinatoo wrote:Gawd, where did that graphic come from? Made my stomach hurt.
I believe it was made as a joke by someone on Tigerboard. If it was made to be serious, I would cry for humanity.
phxcat wrote:A&M squeaks by Duke, LSU squeaks by a very mediocre Iowa team, Georgia loses to a very mediocre Nebraska team, South Carolina squeaks by a mediocre Wisconsin team. SEC is lucky not to be 2-4 right now. They can count their blessings that they have so many favorable matchups. Vandy should beat Houston (how is Vandy bowl eligible again? Oh yeah- from playing four cupcakes OOC, while in the Nig 12 they would only get three, and feasting on a weak SEC schedule of Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and Kentucky). Look for FSU to win the championship and if Big Game Bob could beat a decent team in a BCS game to save his life, look for OU to beat Alabama.
Why does this logic only apply to the SEC? Arizona State chocked to Texas Tech and K-State beat an injured Michigan team. The Big 12 is lucky to not be 0-4 right now, with the possibly of 0-6! But, by all means, go ahead and bash the conference that actually wins the majority of its bowl games (again). That won't make you look jealous at all.

But hey, congrats to the Big 12 for the TWO or THREE Bowl games they'll win this year. That's less than the 4 bowl wins the Big 12 had last year. You must be so proud of the Big 12's "upgrade."
How does that even compare? If you watched the WWB, K-State absolutely dominated that game, and Michigan having their starting QB wouldn't have changed that. K-State beat itself- that is why they didn't put 50 on the board. And ASU was the number 14 ranked PAC South champion losing to a fading 6th place Tech team that was on 5 game losing streak. The Big 12 is not lucky to be 0-4 at all. Look at the matchups- if the SEC was as advertised, those SEC teams should have won those games going away, but the ones who managed to win had to scrape and claw to do so.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

You're right. I'm sure the SEC wishes it only had 1 or 2 bowl wins so that they can use the logic Big 12 fans use and say "Our 2 wins are more impressive than ________ conference's 5 wins because we played better in those 2 games."

Nobody said the SEC is perfect, just that it's among the best, if not the best. They currently have the best bowl record at 5-1. So, If the shoe fits...
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:You're right. I'm sure the SEC wishes it only had 1 or 2 bowl wins so that they can use the logic Big 12 fans use and say "Our 2 wins are more impressive than ________ conference's 5 wins because we played better in those 2 games."

Nobody said the SEC is perfect, just that it's among the best, if not the best. They currently have the best bowl record at 5-1. So, If the shoe fits...
You are right, the SEC is among the best, and it is better to have a record of 5-1 than 0-6. If they were 0-6 against that lineup they have played so far, they would easily be the worst of the big 6 conferences. If the six Big 12 bowl participants had played those six teams (in any combination) it would more than likely be 6-0.