2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Post by bobbyhawks »

harbinger911 wrote:Within the top 20 or so teams - rankings are meaningless.
harbinger911 wrote:Here's just a quick grap off the web re: MU's so called "highest achievement of the past century"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_ ... _Week14-15
So, when Mizzou beats a 25th ranked team in the Cotton Bowl without a head coach that rested its best player in the 4th quarter, it just solidifies their position as the only Big 12 team worthy of SEC greatness... and when the rankings don't support your argument, they are meaningless... and when the rankings do support your argument, check out the rankings!!!

MU has a great football history, but the knock on them that they can't win championships above the division level is absolutely legit over the last 40+ years. You can smack talk KU and KSU all you want, but they don't award retroactive lifetime achievement conference championships for SEC worship and Big 12 forum slams. I really do look forward to a great game tonight. MU is a great team. The SEC is the best conference over the last 10 years. The SEC is not playing this game for Mizzou. My biased guess for the game tonight is OSU 37-34 over MU.
KCRoyalsrule
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCRoyalsrule »

WSPanic wrote:

I did enjoy the OU win - but only because my parents are alums.

And I do apologize. I was thinking of kcdcChef from back in the day. My bad.

So sweet you guys still remember me and think of me after all this time.

Although I did use jaydorks from time to time, I was more of a jaychicken man in all honesty.

Oh - Happy New year. Read this post fast before it's moderated!
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
phxcat wrote:No, that is an upside of Mizzou leaving for the SEC. They got a cakewalk through a weak SEC east schedule to the SEC championship, Cotton Bowl birth and top ten ranking.
Yep. Don't you wish your favorite team was in the SEC?
In a way I do, in a way I don't. I mean, it would be fun to play for the championship, but because we had to actually face competition in the Big 12, I was able to attend the BWW bowl. Its the first bowl game I have gone to, and it was alot of fun. Had we had the benefit of an SEC east schedule, we would probably be looking at the national championship game right now, and I just don't think that I would have been able to get tickets for that, and the timing isn't good for me anyway.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:I can't tell you the number of times I've been told I'm a bad Mizzou fan because I root for Sporting KC. How dare I root for a Kansas team! How dare I root for the Chiefs! KU fans root for the Chiefs or Royals! The Chiefs are KU's team! Let KU deal with the Royals! A true Missouri fan would root for the Cardinals! The Cardinals are Missouri's team. And, blah, blah, blah.

Some Mizzou fans take they're loyalty way too far...and that's exactly what you're seeing on Tigerboard.

I'm not a good Kansas Citian because I'm a Mizzou fan. I'm not a good Mizzou fan because I'm a Kansas Citian.

That's why I'm not shy about admitting: MIZZOU FANS PISS ME OFF SOMETIMES! :P
That's just odd. I hope those are Mizzou fans from St. Louis saying that and not KC. In their defense, though, in the case of the Chiefs, the Chiefs probably are KU's team since they don't seem to have one of their own!

Oh- and OSU over MU tonight, FSU in the title game. Big 12 finishes 4-2, SEC 6-4
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat wrote: In a way I do, in a way I don't. I mean, it would be fun to play for the championship, but because we had to actually face competition in the Big 12, I was able to attend the BWW bowl. Its the first bowl game I have gone to, and it was alot of fun. Had we had the benefit of an SEC east schedule, we would probably be looking at the national championship game right now, and I just don't think that I would have been able to get tickets for that, and the timing isn't good for me anyway.
Both Mizzou and K-State played 9 conference teams. Six of Mizzou's conference opponents when to bowl games. Five of K-State's conference opponents went to bowl games. I wouldn't say either had a "easy schedule." Though, Mizzou did benefit by not having to play NDSU.

Also, would you seriously not want K-State to not play for a national title because you may not have been able to get tickets and the timing may not have been good for you?
phxcat wrote:That's just odd. I hope those are Mizzou fans from St. Louis saying that and not KC. In their defense, though, in the case of the Chiefs, the Chiefs probably are KU's team since they don't seem to have one of their own!
They're from all over the state (outside of KC). I'm no stranger to Mizzou fans that make me say, "Huh?"
phxcat wrote:Oh- and OSU over MU tonight, FSU in the title game. Big 12 finishes 4-2, SEC 6-4
This seems most likely. So, the Big 12 wins the same number of bowl games it did last year, but sends fewer teams to bowl games. The SEC wins the same number of bowl games it did last year, but sent one additional team to a bowl. Oh, well. Six wins ties the SEC with the Pac-12 for most bowl wins and the SEC still plays in the biggest game of the year. Not a bad year for either side.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

phxcat wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:I can't tell you the number of times I've been told I'm a bad Mizzou fan because I root for Sporting KC. How dare I root for a Kansas team! How dare I root for the Chiefs! KU fans root for the Chiefs or Royals! The Chiefs are KU's team! Let KU deal with the Royals! A true Missouri fan would root for the Cardinals! The Cardinals are Missouri's team. And, blah, blah, blah.

Some Mizzou fans take they're loyalty way too far...and that's exactly what you're seeing on Tigerboard.

I'm not a good Kansas Citian because I'm a Mizzou fan. I'm not a good Mizzou fan because I'm a Kansas Citian.

That's why I'm not shy about admitting: MIZZOU FANS PISS ME OFF SOMETIMES! :P
That's just odd. I hope those are Mizzou fans from St. Louis saying that and not KC. In their defense, though, in the case of the Chiefs, the Chiefs probably are KU's team since they don't seem to have one of their own!

Oh- and OSU over MU tonight, FSU in the title game. Big 12 finishes 4-2, SEC 6-4
Zing. It hurts because it is true... all a part of Charlie Weis's 5 year plan. Still trying to confirm what the goal of the plan is. He did increase our win total by 200% this year. #-o
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Great win. Congrats to Mizzou.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Glad your first post was a reference to Kansas. Trying to keep it classy, I see.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

bobbyhawks wrote:Glad your first post was a reference to Kansas. Trying to keep it classy, I see.
There's large group of Missouri fans who are always playing Kansas in their minds.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Couldn't have said it better than Stoops did himself.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html

From the two head to head marquee games, the B12 and SEC looked pretty evenly matched. OSU battled Mizzou to the last minute of the game while OU had a slightly more comfortable win against Alabama. While the SEC wins the majority of their bowl games, nearly all of them in extremely favorable locations for the SEC, they didn't look particularly dominant until you get down to Rice - Miss State.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mizzou is Alabama's daddy now!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Henry Josey leaving Mizzou for the NFL
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou DE Michael Sam has come out as gay and will potentially be the first actively gay NFL player. He was projected to be a 3rd/4th rounder, although his draft stock may fall if teams are wary of the media circus or are homophobic. Sam was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, but there are concerns he is undersized for an end, and/or may not transition well to OLB.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Reports I've read say as many as 29 or 30 of the teams already knew. As many of those draft projections incorporate reports from the teams themselves as well as the numbers, some of that might already be baked into his ranking.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

On his interview this morning he said that he told the team in August and all of the media already knew. He wanted to get it out their himself before any rumors started.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote:On his interview this morning he said that he told the team in August and all of the media already knew. He wanted to get it out their himself before any rumors started.
And the team was so distracted and divided in the lockerroom, that they made the SEC Title Game.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Have to give major props to the University of Missouri and the coaches, along with huge respect to Sam for making an incredibly tough decision. From what I know so far, it sounds like people around him were as supportive as can be expected and perhaps beyond. It will be interesting to see the fallout in the SEC as Mizzou goes on the road next year in football, but I think it shows that younger people are just way more accepting of people's sexuality than they were even 10 years ago. I'm not sure how the old South will receive the message, but I think Mizzou is a terrific place geographically for this to have happened, and Sam is quite the trailblazer. One hopes that his situation will resonate with other players across the country, and we can eventually be in a situation where being openly gay isn't even newsworthy.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This whole thing is pretty remarkable. Allowing him determine the situation in which he came out was a mature and respectful way to handle it. There must have been over 100 people who agreed to say nothing publicly about this for months or years. That's amazing. Hats off to MU. They've set the standard on this.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

"S - A - M"
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

harbinger911 wrote:Sam is a joke. what he did isn't honest - it's grandstanding selfishness.
Who cares what Sams does or his "preference"? Nobody, as long as it's legal.
Homos love the attention, and the Govt/Media/Complex loves to propagandize and brainwash the sheep.

This whole gay thing is ridiculous. Notice how all of the MU leadership bent over and patronized this.
It's borderline insanity to make a big deal out of this. Just shows how pathetically stupid our "culture" has become.
This is on par with Cyrus twerking - who cares if Sams is infatuated with men's stinking anuses?
Who cares what Sams does or his "preference"? Nobody, as long as it's legal.
But selfish gays and the mainstream media push these non-stories at everyone.

Remember the homosexual EX-NBA player that supposedly "came out" and everyone ooohed and aaahed?
This is all social propaganda designed for the idiot masses and make sheep out of everyone.
The only good that came from it is that he's now done as a player - forever.
If you are joking, that wasn't funny. If you are serious, I am truly embarrassed for you.