3MAW

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 3MAW

Post by KC-wildcat »

The West Side Center in Phase II of VI. With the record university and athletics donations, AD Currie is already moving ahead with future phases. Rumors that developers are already pitching a plan to develop an on-site hotel at the southwest corner of the stadium, overlooking the field.

I imagine that once the ribbon is cut on this building, Currie will be making more announcements. Pretty clear that he's ramping up facilities and funding for the football program with an eye toward securing a seat at the table when the next round of conference reallignment comes around.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

When are all the phases expected to be complete?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

AllThingsKC wrote:When are all the phases expected to be complete?
I've heard different things. I've heard that there is no timeline. I've heard that a new phase will be triggered every time there's a 10+ win season. That south endzone stuff and east side lights were supposed to be parts of phase 3, so it seems the timing of some stuff really isn't set in stone.

I don't know if plans even really exist, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some improvements to Bramlage eventually tied in with this stuff.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:When are all the phases expected to be complete?
There's no timeline. The items on the MasterPlan will continue to be knocked off the list as money becomes available. As a general matter, non-revenue generating improvements are paid for privately, and revenue-generating stuff is private/financed.

Some of Phase III was incorporated into the current Phase II. The remainder of Phase III is currently under development.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Looks really, really great! But one question: why do the seats in the middle 3 sections in the first picture look different than the rest of the stadium? Is that a special seating section? (OK, I guess that was two questions).
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

AllThingsKC wrote:Looks really, really great! But one question: why do the seats in the middle 3 sections in the first picture look different than the rest of the stadium? Is that a special seating section? (OK, I guess that was two questions).
They're permanent chairbacks. The seats in the rest of the stadium are temporary, purchased as an add-on to season tickets.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I thought the lettering on the outside looked really weird last week. Glad they filled it in with black, though I guess I should have expected that.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Vanier is coming down after this season to be replaced with a bigger, more castle-like structure. Major completion by 2015 season.

http://www.kstatesports.com/masterplan/ ... llcomplex/

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Slate: The case of a Kansas State basketball player reveals the NCAA’s moral bankruptcy.
Leticia Romero came to Kansas State University from the Canary Islands to play basketball. After Romero’s freshman season—a successful one on the court, in which she averaged more than 14 points per game—the coach that recruited her was fired, and several assistant coaches chose to leave as well. As a consequence, Romero decided she wanted to transfer. The Kansas State athletic department had other ideas.

Mechelle Voepel of ESPN.com has the full story, and it’s yet another infuriating example of how college sports administrators control unpaid NCAA athletes. Kansas State has thus far refused to release Romero from her scholarship, which means she can’t receive financial aid from any other Division I institution for at least a year. The Kansas State athletic department has mostly refused to explain itself, on account of “student-privacy concerns.” That excuse would make more sense if someone had told Romero why the university is blocking her release. The player says she hasn’t gotten any explanation at all.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Update: K-State says denial of Romero’s transfer request is final, despite Currie’s request
The university issued a statement Wednesday night that made its stance on Romero’s ongoing transfer battle clear: Because a K-State appeals committee denied Romero’s request for a release last month, she will not be able to obtain one. The ruling of the committee is “final and binding.”

“There is no university procedure to reexamine one of those decisions,” read the statement, which was written by K-State vice president for communications and marketing Jeffery Morris. “Thus, the university process concludes with the Appeals Committee's decision. Also, the final and binding nature of these decisions does not allow for them to be overturned by university administrators.”
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:Update: K-State says denial of Romero’s transfer request is final, despite Currie’s request
The university issued a statement Wednesday night that made its stance on Romero’s ongoing transfer battle clear: Because a K-State appeals committee denied Romero’s request for a release last month, she will not be able to obtain one. The ruling of the committee is “final and binding.”

“There is no university procedure to reexamine one of those decisions,” read the statement, which was written by K-State vice president for communications and marketing Jeffery Morris. “Thus, the university process concludes with the Appeals Committee's decision. Also, the final and binding nature of these decisions does not allow for them to be overturned by university administrators.”
I thought it was common practice for schools to let players out of a scholarship if the coach was fired. I don't understand why K-State is being so obtuse here. They just let Daniel Sams out of his scholarship didn't they?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

So Currie set this in motion by alleging tampering, and now can't reverse it, even though he allegation was unfounded? Is Currie also in charge of the TSA's no fly list?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Update: K-State grants Romero transfer release.
Under the terms of her release, Romero, a native of Las Palmas, Spain, can not transfer to another Big 12 school.

Romero would have to sit out the upcoming season, but would still have three seasons of eligibility remaining. The school cited a new institutional policy as the reason for allowing Romero to transfer.
So much for K-State saying their decision was "final and binding." They take a PR black eye, only to give her the release. Well played, K-State.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »