2013 - 2014 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 2013 - 2014 College Basketball Season

Post by Highlander »

Alden's record with basketball coaching hires is not great. Be interesting to see who he gets to replace Haith - I suspect whoever it is will surprise a lot of people. He seems to want to go after the guys under the radar screen since Snyder flopped.

That said, anyone actually surprised by the turn of events? I guess I want to know how much of a role Alden played in nudging Haith out the door. Next year's team could be pretty bad with practically all of the scoring and Price gone. Haith probably did himself and Alden a favor leaving on his own accord and avoiding a scenario where Alden fires him at the end of next season.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Until the Haith to Tulsa news, I had no idea Manning had left. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought it would be hilarious and fun if Mizzou offered Manning a job when they fired Haith next year. Alas, I guess that ship has sailed...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I have to think Gregg Marshall and Shaka Smart are waiting for Blue blood program jobs to open up or the NBA. UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, and Indiana could all be available in the next 5 years. Marshall is also supposedly staying put in Wichita til his kid graduates high school.
chingon wrote:Until the Haith to Tulsa news, I had no idea Manning had left. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought it would be hilarious and fun if Mizzou offered Manning a job when they fired Haith next year. Alas, I guess that ship has sailed...
That would be hilarious. Someone on 810 mentioned Tad Boyle at Colorado, but I can't imagine a KU grad going to Mizzou.

Larry Brown is at SMU - would he consider Mizzou?

The only guy with Mizzou ties I can think of other than Kim Anderson would be Larry Drew, who currently coaches the Milwaukee Bucks. The Bucks were terrible this year, but they meant to be terrible. Maybe he'd want a more stable job at his alma mater?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Seems odd as Tulsa is a noticeable step down."

Is it a step down. Tulsa is moving to the American Athletic Conference, home of the recent NCAA national BB champion, both men's and women's. And it appears he will be getting a slight raise. Not bad for someone who was told to move on or be fired.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:"Seems odd as Tulsa is a noticeable step down."

Is it a step down. Tulsa is moving to the American Athletic Conference, home of the recent NCAA national BB champion, both men's and women's. And it appears he will be getting a slight raise. Not bad for someone who was told to move on or be fired.
The man is a survivor and does a good job of selling himself. His hire by Missouri most likely kept him from being fired by Miami and with Mizzou's line-up for next season (especially with Price dismissed and Brown/Clarkson declaring), I would suspect he knew he was going to be on the hot seat at the end of the 2014-15 season. Kind of the pragmatic thing for Haith to do - it's always easier to find a job when you already have one.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:"Seems odd as Tulsa is a noticeable step down."

So you think the AAC is on par with the SEC? I don't think anyone else thinks that. Not that conference really matters all that much either. The Big Ten > Big 12, but no one thinks Northwestern is a better gig than Kansas. Nor does anyone think Tulsa is on par with Missouri.

From what I read, he is getting less money per year than he did at Missouri ($1 mill per year for 3 years, as opposed to $1.6 for one year), but I could have gotten a wrong report.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just in basketball. Afterall An AAC team did beat a SEC team for the national championship in BB. Just did that for fun. More than one report I read had him making $1.8/year at Tulsa.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCMax wrote: The Big Ten > Big 12...
That seems to be a big statement to throw out so matter-of-fact. Definitely debatable. If the Big 10 is ranking a few 10ths of % higher, its probably because TCU was a huge anchor on our numbers.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I mean in terms of rep and prestige.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCMax wrote:I mean in terms of rep and prestige.
Probably true. True for the SEC in hoops as well IMO
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If you're talking rep and prestige, ACC probably beats them all. Duke, NC, Syracuse, Louisville, etc.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote:
If you're talking rep and prestige, ACC probably beats them all. Duke, NC, Syracuse, Louisville, etc.
I agree.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:
I agree.
Or Big X. That's a pretty impressive collection of state schools - and Northwestern.

On the subject of college basketball, Mizzou is keeping their search pretty tight, haven't heard a single rumor....other than speculation about Kim Anderson.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Andy Katz confirms Mizzou has reached out to Kim Anderson. Tim Floyd has reached out to Mizzou, but there is no indication Mizzou is interested. Mizzou will supposedly pursue Wichita State's Gregg Marshall, but supposedly no contact has been made yet. Mizzou could also be interested in former UCLA coach Ben Howland.

Reportedly, Mizzou is interested in restoring its "culture" whatever that means.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... d6736.html
http://www.rockmnation.com/2014/4/21/56 ... en-howland

Mizzou's top recruiter - Tim Fuller - is considering being the coach at Florida A&M.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

shinatoo wrote:
Nobody older available?
Give Alden time... I'm sure he can find someone older or less desirable.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tim Floyd is reportedly no longer a candidate. Ben Howland is supposedly not on their radar.

Former K-State assistant and current Stephen F. Austin coach Brad Underwood has suddenly surfaced as a reported candidate.

FWIW, Alden was seen flying to Atlanta. Gregg Marshall's agent is based in Atlanta.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:Tim Floyd is reportedly no longer a candidate. Ben Howland is supposedly not on their radar.

Former K-State assistant and current Stephen F. Austin coach Brad Underwood has suddenly surfaced as a reported candidate.

FWIW, Alden was seen flying to Atlanta. Gregg Marshall's agent is based in Atlanta.
Marshall would be a great get. He would be a leading candidate at many blue bloods, were those positions open. There is an opportunity for him to stay where he is and make a lot of money with great job security as a big fish in a smaller pond (though with the NCAA tournament, all big fish have a chance ala Shaka Smart), or to wait things out for the next UCLA/Kentucky/Duke/UNC. I was shocked that Brad Stevens left for the NBA, but you never know if Cal will set off a chain of events fleeing NCAA investigations. Mark Few made a great decision to stick around Gonzaga (apparently), and Wichita St. sounds like a great place to be a coach from a fan support perspective.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So, who's excited about Kim Anderson replacing Haith? Not the coach I would have hired and I think he will have an extremely tough time recruiting but I suspect his teams will be better coached than Haith's teams (they might even play some D). He'll have a tough job next year with nearly all the scoring from this year's team leaving - it's hard to see where the scoring will come from.

Wonder why it took nearly two weeks to name a coach; I suspect Anderson wasn't the first choice.