2013 NCAA Tourney

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

2013 NCAA Tourney

Post by Highlander »

KU and KSU have to be happy with their seeds and tournament venues. If KSU gets past the first round, and Mississippi is still around after playing Wisconsin, I hope they destroy Marshall Henderson and the Rebels. These are the real "slavers".

Missouri didn't fare as well - if they get past Colorado State (and they should) they run smack dab into Louisville in Lexington KY. For a team with two road wins, that will be a tough task. SLU is in the same regional - it would be pretty cool to see them play but it's not likely.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2013 NCAA Tourney

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:Should be fun to have Kansas and Kansas State back in town next weekend. Appropriate that Mizzou got shipped off to SEC territory.
It would be SEC country if Kentucky was in. Unfortunately for Mizzou, it WILL be Big East country.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Depending on which Mizzou shows up, I'm not so sure Mizzou can beat Colorado State. Seems like that would be a good game for Mizzou to lose by 2 on a last-second air ball.

Teams visiting the Sprint Center:
Boise State or La Salle
Kansas
Kansas State
Mississippi
North Carolina
Western Kentucky
Wisconsin
Villanova
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Depending on which Mizzou shows up, I'm not so sure Mizzou can beat Colorado State. Seems like that would be a good game for Mizzou to lose by 2 on a last-second air ball.
They will have the semblance of a home court advantage in that game at least. I think the Tigers match up well with CSU.

If La Salle wins the play in, there will be two Philadelphia programs in KC for the tourney. Hopefully KC puts its best foot forward - nice to change images of the people back east.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I didn't know that Colorado State was coached by our good friend Larry Eustachy.

I have tix for the session on Sunday. Can you split the games up? Like I want to watch the KU game, but could I sell the K-State game (should K-State make it to Sunday) to a K-State buddy of mine?

Also, do they sell beer at SC for tourney games?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Should be fun.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cool article on how instrumental KC was in the early success of the Tourney.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/17/41 ... ament.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It does not look like the Big 12 is setup to have a good showing in this tournament. The Big 12 has historically not been a good PASE team (performance against seed expectations), meaning that we rarely have teams that make it deeper than expected. This falls in large part on the rest of the conference as KU has a positive PASE in the modern tourney era.

I think I have less of a feel this year than in any other year for how well the Big 12 will perform. I don't know why exactly, but I feel like the Kenpom numbers are about right, placing the conference at #6. I guess I could argue that we are better than the PAC 12.

KU, OSU, and KSU should all make it through their first games. OSU is a closer matchup, but I am oddly confident they will win that game. ISU should be a great first round game, and Oklahoma's upset would be more impressive.

As for making it out of the first weekend, KU has no cake walk with a fast improving UNC team. Self has had Roy's number, and I hope that does not balance out this year. My guess is KU is at 75% to clear the first weekend. By my count, Bruce Weber was 8-11 against Wisconsin at Illinois with a strong downward trend after starting 5-2. That is a tough matchup for KSU, but Wisc. looks very equivalent in efficiency to OSU. I'd put odds on KSU clearing the first weekend at 50%. ISU's chances are about 10%; OSU's about 50%; and OU's are probably also about 10%. These are just my gut odds. We should expect to have 2 teams in the Sweet 16. Anything more than that would be great.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Glass half full viewpoint: seven of the original Big 8 are in the tournament. I remember one year in the early 90's, 1993, I think, Missouri upset K-State to win the tournament in a relatively strong year for the conference. The ESPN was questioning whether OU, as I recall, the sixth team in from the conference, would be knocked out by MU winning the tournament. Dick Vitale said that OU had to stay home- that you could just eliminate Colorado before the season. I guess to go over six, we had to farm teams out to other leagues to make room!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

The Kenpom.com log5 puts the Big 12 and MU at the following to make the next few rounds:

KU: 95.1% 69.1%
OSU: 61.6 33.0
KSU: 59.1 21.7
ISU: 47.5 14.2
OU: 39.3 12.5
MU: 53.0 11.1

The second percentage is not based on a single matchup, but rather the chances of two wins in a row.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou finally finishes first in something, although personally, GWAR > Brad Pitt

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/03/18/n ... us-alumni/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:Mizzou finally finishes first in something, although personally, GWAR > Brad Pitt

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/03/18/n ... us-alumni/
The move to the SEC already paying dividends. GWAR scares me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My blind bracket on WSJ ended up with St. Louis, K-State, Indiana, and Florida in the Final 4. Florida winning it all.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote:My blind bracket on WSJ ended up with St. Louis, K-State, Indiana, and Florida in the Final 4. Florida winning it all.
Mine ended up with Louisville, Gonzaga, Syracuse, KU...with KU vs L-Ville in title game and KU winning it all.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GWAR is awesome.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Somehow I ended up with Louisville, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Bob Jones University, and Devry.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/03/18/f ... m-to-date/

Facebook fandom poll. I demand a recount!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^That poll also shows that there are a lot of transplants from the Big Ten Conference now living in Florida, Texas, Arizona and SoCal
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

brewcrew1000 wrote:^That poll also shows that there are a lot of transplants from the Big Ten Conference now living in Florida, Texas, Arizona and SoCal
start the Longhorns to Big 10 speculation