2013 NCAA Tourney

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2013 NCAA Tourney

Post by chaglang »

chrizow wrote:Image
I spotted this guy in the second half of the North Carolina game sitting midcourt, about 2/3 of the way up from the court. Or, I spotted a white dude with a mullet and old school 34 jersey and I assume it's the same guy. If there were two of them there this weekend, that totally explains KU's performance.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

1. How did you think KC did hosting the first two rounds? I see we're not on the schedule to host any part of the NCAA tourney in the next few years. I was hoping we'd make a good impression among visiting fans so we'd be more like to host another NCAA event sooner rather than later.

2. How is everyone's bracket looking? I'm sure we all expected La Salle and FGCU to be in the Sweet 16.

3. As far as Mizzou goes: I did see that coming. Faith's coaching + Pressy = FAIL. I think most Mizzou fans are just happy to actually see this embarrassing season end. It certainly looked like Mizzou would have accomplished more prior to the season.

4. As far as K-State goes: No, I didn't expect that at all.

5: As far as KU goes: They're one of only 3 or 4 teams who I think have a great chance to win it all. The others being Louisville, Indiana, and Miami. Maybe Florida and Duke too.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

In regards to KC as a future host, it seems to be more and more difficult to land games with the number of new arenas in the area. Within the past ten years or so Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita and Tulsa all built new arenas and those cities are now in competition for games. One thing I really don't like is when Dayton is selected for 2nd/3rd round games in addition to the first round - I'd like to see the NCAA spread things around a little more.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The NCAA always seems to play a lot of tournament games in Dayton. Not sure why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang wrote:The NCAA always seems to play a lot of tournament games in Dayton. Not sure why.
I think there is some historical tie. But also they were the ones to volunteer to host the play in game when that was first created and they've done a fantastic job supporting it from what I hear, so they're rewarded. Plus they're just down the road from NCAA HQ in Indianapolis. Its like two hours down I-70.

I only went to the Sunday games, but I thought we did a great job hosting. Sprint Center was packed and loud for the KU game. The second game was fairly empty, but it was still more populated than other NCAA games I remember attending, and it was a pretty crummy draw, especially considering most were counting on K-State to be in the game.

I think there is a rule that if you host an NCAA game, you can't host for 3 more years, with the exception being that Final Four sites get to host a regional final the year before as a tune up. Looking at the next two years sites, there are no repeats from this year except LA, which curiously gets to host a regional final again in 2015. In any case, the fact we're not hosting til 2016 at the earliest is not a mark against us, and I'm fairly confident we'll get to host in 2016.

EDIT: Here's a bit on Dayton's special place in NCAA basketball history: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/907 ... ent-dayton

It seems Dayton is a lot like KC on a smaller scale, and just makes a bigger deal about this than most other cities.
Dayton has a strange and important place in the history of the tournament. More NCAA tournament games have been played in the University of Dayton's arena — 91, before this year's tournament — than anywhere else.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:
chrizow wrote:Image
I spotted this guy in the second half of the North Carolina game sitting midcourt, about 2/3 of the way up from the court. Or, I spotted a white dude with a mullet and old school 34 jersey and I assume it's the same guy. If there were two of them there this weekend, that totally explains KU's performance.
That guy's an Ole Miss fan who bought a KU jersey to wear over his Rebels T shirt (and shorts) for the second pod games because western Kentucky is "shit full of yankees now".

Also, judging by the look on the blonde woman's face and the cast of her gaze, he's pretty "confident" in his own steez.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The NCAA tournament if games were decided by who spent more money on their program:

http://www.newyorker.com/sandbox/business/ncaa.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Man, the Big Ten schools are just making money hand over fist, Wisconsin - Expenses 6m Revenue 17m, Ohio State, 6m 18m, etc, etc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Didn't KU play in St. Louis last year? Seems like St. Louis hosted part of the tournament last year, if I remember correctly. They are hosting again net year. Maybe it was 2010 when KU played there?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:Didn't KU play in St. Louis last year? Seems like St. Louis hosted part of the tournament last year, if I remember correctly. They are hosting again net year. Maybe it was 2010 when KU played there?
You're right, last year. Its moving from the Edward Jones Dome in 2012 to the Scottrade Center in 2014 FWIW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_ ... Tournament
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, why wouldn't the 3-year rule apply to St. Louis? Because they're changing venues? Because 2012 was a regional and 2014 will be first and second rounds? Why can't KC do the same?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Marshall Henderson flipped off the crowed after Ole Miss lost to La Salle at the Sprint Center. He said it was a reaction to somebody calling his sister a "whore." Though, there's video that shows a different story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... ncaab.html
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Marshall Henderson filled off the crowed after Ole Miss lost to La Salle at the Sprint Center. He said it was a reaction to somebody calling his sister a "whore." Though, there's video that shows a different story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... ncaab.html
Henderson was big scorer but he is also about as overrated as they come. He's not all that efficient on offense and he is perfectly capable of shooting Mississippi out of ball games which he did in the LaSalle game. Plus he turns the ball over a lot. It will be interesting to see how good Miss is next year with their two big forwards graduated and Henderson hitting 5-20 three pointers per game. Those big guys, and not Henderson, were far more responsible for what little success Miss had this season.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:So, why wouldn't the 3-year rule apply to St. Louis? Because they're changing venues? Because 2012 was a regional and 2014 will be first and second rounds? Why can't KC do the same?
I'm guessing the three year rule isn't a hard and fast rule.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: I'm guessing the three year rule isn't a hard and fast rule.
Except when it comes to Kansas City, it seems. :cry: I see we're not on the list to host again anytime soon.

DEATH TO THE NCAA!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:3. As far as Mizzou goes: I did see that coming. Faith's coaching + Pressy = FAIL. I think most Mizzou fans are just happy to actually see this embarrassing season end. It certainly looked like Mizzou would have accomplished more prior to the season.

3. People ragging a bit too much on Pressey. He makes bad decisions no doubt but without him Mizzou doesn't even get to the tourney. NWC was horrible at the point and Bell, while an improvement over NWC, wasn't great. When Pressey made a bad decision, Haith pretty much still had to play him - didn't help the team, didn't help Pressey. Dixon's absence really hurt this team.

Mizzou lacked heart this year, they lacked a go-to guy and while rich on atheltic one-dimensional players, they lacked guys with complete games. They stood around and watched Pressey dribble esp on the road forcing Pressey into a bad pass or poor shot selection. On D, they just stood around - a hapless effort throughout the season. Too many times I watched defenders chasing their man cutting towards the basket, no attempt to stay in front or put a body on the them, just laziness. Haith did a good job putting together an athletic semblance of a team and then, in turn, essentially failed at coaching them. I suspect this will be par for the course over the next 3-4 years.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This LaSalle-Wichita State game would have been so much better if it were Kansas State-Wichita State.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I think I am going to be a Shocker fan for the next week. I like the way this team plays. They are loaded with talent and play some serious defense.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.