Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Post by kcjak »

USA Today bit on a post-HR derby scuffle: http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... un-derby/1
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

PumpkinStalker wrote:And speaking of the booing...I love how people act like this is the first time it's ever happened, and booing is so classless and horrible. Who cares, man up. Booing happens. It happened last year too under the same circumstances as Cano's.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/20 ... -offseason
I love how many non-KCians booed. Look at the footage. Hell, the big AP photo is of a guy in a Cards jersey booing.

Plus, I thought it just showed some of the kind of swagger we need a little more of. People felt stiffed and instead of hang-dogging and apologizing to the nation for not having a good enough hitter to make the Derby, people puffed up and showed out. I was proud.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Nice pics of the Plaza parade here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chingon wrote:People felt stiffed and instead of hang-dogging and apologizing to the nation for not having a good enough hitter to make the Derby, people puffed up and showed out. I was proud.
I agree. I hate hearing the "KC Doesn't have a good enough hitter" thing being tossed around, when Billy Butler is sitting there at midseason holding 16 HR's with Kauffman as his home stadium. You can't convince me that he wouldn't have nearly 30 playing for any other team, or that any of the other guys who went to the plate last night for the HR derby would have the same amount if they played at Kauffman. Billy Butler is virtually the same as Prince Fielder in my eyes, just imagine what he would do in the same stadium!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Twitter was going crazy with good comments
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

im2kull wrote:
chingon wrote:People felt stiffed and instead of hang-dogging and apologizing to the nation for not having a good enough hitter to make the Derby, people puffed up and showed out. I was proud.
I agree. I hate hearing the "KC Doesn't have a good enough hitter" thing being tossed around, when Billy Butler is sitting there at midseason holding 16 HR's with Kauffman as his home stadium. You can't convince me that he wouldn't have nearly 30 playing for any other team, or that any of the other guys who went to the plate last night for the HR derby would have the same amount if they played at Kauffman. Billy Butler is virtually the same as Prince Fielder in my eyes, just imagine what he would do in the same stadium!

Yeah, I actually saw a tracker of how many of the other Derby participants homers would have been out at Kauffman, and the numbers were half or less for most of them. Of course, that doesn't take into account how many of Butler's 16 were road games at more hitter-friendly parks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote:
Especially considering Butler has more HR than Prince, and more HR than Cano had last year when he won the HR Derby.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm sure the social media club will bring us a summary of tweets and reactions.

Not able to check sports sites this am so links you guys find would be greatly appreciated
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Anyone else a little underwhelmed at the number of 'glory shots' of the city airing during the game? Guess I was expecting more of still scenic shots rather than the quick hits, but I'll take what they give.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

A Jackson, Miss., man said he was a bit skeptical of what he would see in this "cow town," but he said he was converted after spending a couple of days here.

Read more: http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news ... z20KbaJ4HI

Jackson, Mississippi is a "sheh-whole." Just sayin.

Almost reads like something from the Onion.
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

warwickland wrote:A Jackson, Miss., man said he was a bit skeptical of what he would see in this "cow town," but he said he was converted after spending a couple of days here.

One of the worst places in the U.S. in my opinion.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

smh wrote:
warwickland wrote:A Jackson, Miss., man said he was a bit skeptical of what he would see in this "cow town," but he said he was converted after spending a couple of days here.

One of the worst places in the U.S. in my opinion.
yeah there are just some places i don't mess with have a nuanced view on. there is a decent pizza place in jackson, just don't get run over by a speeding white tahoe with a jesusfish if you try to cross the street.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

"Booing Robinson Cano was Kansas City's privilege, but then the city lost it"

By now, professional sports irrelevance here is like a tax. Cheap housing, kind people, great barbeque, no championships. Fans accept games of little consequence, and so built up inside is a tidal wave of sporting emotion waiting to lay waste to whatever gets in its way. Like, say, Robinson Cano.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/booing-rob ... 20711.html

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yea, I like the implication that we were in line to bid on free agents, but now that we booed a guy, players won't sign here. What a crock. He lives here, he should know who our owner is. My guess is Jeff got insecure among his national writer buddies about his hometown.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

warwickland wrote:"Booing Robinson Cano was Kansas City's privilege, but then the city lost it"

By now, professional sports irrelevance here is like a tax. Cheap housing, kind people, great barbeque, no championships. Fans accept games of little consequence, and so built up inside is a tidal wave of sporting emotion waiting to lay waste to whatever gets in its way. Like, say, Robinson Cano.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/booing-rob ... 20711.html

Right, because it's more proper to let someone spat in your face, rather than knock their ass down. Gotta love clueless sportswriters. They're in a class of their own, the truly classless & vile.

This guy obviously follows KC baseball so well (As does every other writer clamoring over the Butler/Cano story..) This is from the same article..
..There to play the role of aggrieved hero was Royals designated hitter Billy Butler, against whom fans have lodged a singular complaint during his career: He doesn't hit for enough power.
Yikes! I've never heard that complaint, have you?

And this guy claims to be a Kansas Citian? Guess I have some news for you Mr. Jeff Passan, just because you live here, doesn't mean that you're one of us. Go back home to Arizona, or back to school in Syracuse before trying to cover up your obvious hatred of KC by tossing in the random fact that you currently live here. You're a troll of the worst kind.

His twitter is sickening! So many anti-KC comments, he's blowing up anyone who even tries to critique him...what a professional journalist! NOT!
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan
Last edited by im2kull on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote:Yea, I like the implication that we were in line to bid on free agents, but now that we booed a guy, players won't sign here. What a crock. He lives here, he should know who our owner is. My guess is Jeff got insecure among his national writer buddies about his hometown.
This isn't his hometown, but that's not what he wants you to know..

Friggin crook.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I agree that the twitter battle was really annoying, and I think Passan is way way off base (as just noted on the radio by Mellinger), but I have absolutely heard complaints that Butler does not hit for enough power. Not this year, but that was the big complaint a few years back and one of the biggest reasons some people say we should trade him. DHs that don't crush the ball are sometimes perceived to be a waste of space, especially on teams that do not hit for a lot of overall power. I'm not a fan of that way of thinking, but I think a lot of traditional people think that way.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

bobbyhawks wrote:I agree that the twitter battle was really annoying, and I think Passan is way way off base (as just noted on the radio by Mellinger), but I have absolutely heard complaints that Butler does not hit for enough power. Not this year, but that was the big complaint a few years back and one of the biggest reasons some people say we should trade him. DHs that don't crush the ball are sometimes perceived to be a waste of space, especially on teams that do not hit for a lot of overall power. I'm not a fan of that way of thinking, but I think a lot of traditional people think that way.
No DH is going to "Crush" the ball in our park. That's where everyone is wrong to think that "Someone" will. Nobody has, ever. Not with the Royals, or against them. Nobody hit's HR's like they're nothing in the K. It just doesn't happen, and won't. I'd rather have Butler with his 16 first half HR's, and a .300 average over Jose Bautista (A guy that was taken for the HR derby team over Butler) who has 27 first half homers (In parks outside of the K) but a lowly .244 average. If we played in some tiny ass stadium, like in Houston, then I would agree, but playing in the K..forget about it.

I guarantee that Butler would have lit up the K with some amazing HR totals the other night had he been given the chance.