Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Post by chaglang »

Collected from other threads:

NYT reprises the Royals saga:
The Royals', Long, Painful Restoration

Not such a great article on KC from MLB.com
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

http://news.yahoo.com/kcs-star-game-cle ... nance.html
another not so glowing article

I thought this was a good article for the star, it's a good guide for out of town visitors:
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/05/36 ... -from.html

Here's the audio of the Parkins/Glass interview:
http://www.ramblingmorons.com/?p=1461

And JoPo finally posted the love letter to KC that everyone knew he would (and managed to keep it under 3,500 words):
http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -city.html
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Post by AllThingsKC »

Not excited press-related, but reading the fan reviews on Twitter with #KC, most visiting fans seem to be completely impressed with KC. For what it's worth.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Anyone else find the blue dye in fountains a bit gauche?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

earthling wrote:Anyone else find the blue dye in fountains a bit gauche?
Yep. But on the positive, it will be really easy to spot people who have jumped in them.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^Lol Drew Silva took a picture of the Baconfest sign at 31st and Main
https://twitter.com/#!/drewsilv/media/s ... 2FyRhXgrWV
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This is hilarious from KC native Jon Bois of SB Nation.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/7/9/314635 ... an-stadium
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've spent Saturday evening and the entire day Sunday from 10:30 to 8:00 walking downtown with my pockets stuffed with maps/brochures. For any negative press we may get, I can assure you that I did not run into a single person downtown who was not having a blast in KC. The downtown had free trolley's running between the major districts - Plaza, Crown Center, River Mkt, 18th/Vine, Barney Allis, etc. Just jump on, ride all day until 6:30. It was a major hit!

The bees were handing out free ice cold 20oz bottles of Aquafina at the corner of 13th and Wyandotte all weekend.

Fan Fest was PACKED when I used my volunteer credentials (#humblebrag) to go check it out. Nobody was frowning.

I was shocked that I got a ton of questions for some very cultural activities - Truman library/home, Nelson, Kemper Museum of Modern Art, Steamboat Arabia, WW1 Museum, and others. Since I volunteer for the Big 12 as well, I'm used to questions about BBQ, Plaza, etc. But this was a way different crowd, and was not afraid to walk the city. I always flinch when people ask about somewhere they can walk to for BBQ and they don't want to walk 8-9 blocks to Jack Stack. This crowd didn't care at all, it was completely fine.

Talked to two guys who were in town for the game from Australia! Thick accents and all, and they wanted a good old steak house...the Majestic was right up their alley and they came back to the Crown Plaza to tell me they had a great experience.

As a local, I have some complaints though: Why the hell wouldn't a bakery (this is you MeMa's) open on Sunday for something as major as this? Ridiculous! I don't give a shit about standard bakery hours. This is something you open for.

Frans: Seriously, you suck something firece. I gave you a chance for lunch, knowing what my experience would probably be. I was not let down. Light bulbs were out, food was mediocre, drink refills came after asking 3 times, and almost 60% of the tables were dirty with dishes, food all over the floor under them, etc. Worse, they're not even that busy! I don't understand the lack of caring and motivation of this place. It's like they only clean a table when they actually NEED it, but as long as there are clean ones to seat people at, the rest just stay dirty.

All in all though, I was very pleased with what I saw. There were Bcycle volunteers explaining bike rentals, a serious police presence, and best of all, parking was NOT an issue. There was plenty of free parking all over the place if you looked. I parked on Wyandotte down by 12th Sunday. Saturday I parked near Hanna Rubber. Cosentino's garage was open - free - last night when I went back downtown after taking a much needed shower.

One word of advice, if you're a local, don't go down a one way street. Chances are someone from out of town will be heading at you.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

PumpkinStalker wrote:As a local, I have some complaints though: Why the hell wouldn't a bakery (this is you MeMa's) open on Sunday for something as major as this? Ridiculous! I don't give a shit about standard bakery hours. This is something you open for.
Speaking of local places behaving inexplicably, the Nelson resolutely stuck with their practice of closing on Mondays, 10,000+ tourists be damned.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chaglang wrote:Speaking of local places behaving inexplicably, the Nelson resolutely stuck with their practice of closing on Mondays, 10,000+ tourists be damned.
:shock:

thats ridiculous
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I went to Nelson yesterday and was completely shocked when I arrived at 11:55 and there was a line of around 20 people waiting for the doors to open. Maybe that happens a lot at museums on Sundays but I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone episode waiting in line for a museum to open.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcjak wrote:I went to Nelson yesterday and was completely shocked when I arrived at 11:55 and there was a line of around 20 people waiting for the doors to open. Maybe that happens a lot at museums on Sundays but I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone episode waiting in line for a museum to open.
yeah, we were out walking the dog at the nelson at 11am and a couple with IA tags pulled up to ask when it would open. they went to park after that. i bet they were two of the 20!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Nelson, normally closed on Tuesdays, will be open tomorrow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This is why I'm glad that I don't have cable and ESPN. I heard the derby coverage was horrible, they didn't even even show a lot of the hitters when they were up and focused on interviewing players. Seems like ESPN in general is just trying to be like a Hollywood style show rather then focus on sports. Bermann needs to be fired from ESPN, guy hasnt been good in about 15 years.