Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Typical of this city that only its local citizens who write for a "national" website would be three only one to put it down..... And then have the balls to call everybody else insecure
Another local writer on a national website bitching.

Hampton Stevens: I'm So Glad the All-Star Game Is Over
Nevertheless, having the game at Kauffman was a royal pain. The city spent weeks scrubbing sidewalks and planting flowers. Formerly free parking spaces suddenly jumped to $20 an hour, with none to be had. We got overly cheerful greeters at the airport and pennant-shaped "Welcome!" signs in the intersections of big thoroughfares. The city dyed the fountains blue, too, and bathed buildings with projected lights. Someone even had the twisted foresight to build a new Taco Bell across the street from the stadium just so there would be one on camera for Sunday's Bell-sponsored Legends & Celebrity Softball Game. It got grating—and massively inconvenient. Like yesterday before the game, when they held a red-carpet parade with players through the city's ritziest shopping district. The average fan elsewhere in the country experienced the march of cars on carpet as a few seconds of cute video. Here, the parade was also a massive, traffic-snarling, afternoon-ruining lump in the middle of town about twice the size of a Presidential motorcade.
I hate when everyone has a good time!
He also doesn't know his U.S. presidential history very well.

The many 100-loss seasons are one indicator of team's decline, as is not making the playoffs since George Bush was in office.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcmetro wrote:
KCMax wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Typical of this city that only its local citizens who write for a "national" website would be three only one to put it down..... And then have the balls to call everybody else insecure

Nevertheless, having the game at Kauffman was a royal pain. The city spent weeks scrubbing sidewalks and planting flowers. Formerly free parking spaces suddenly jumped to $20 an hour, with none to be had. We got overly cheerful greeters at the airport and pennant-shaped "Welcome!" signs in the intersections of big thoroughfares. The city dyed the fountains blue, too, and bathed buildings with projected lights. Someone even had the twisted foresight to build a new Taco Bell across the street from the stadium just so there would be one on camera for Sunday's Bell-sponsored Legends & Celebrity Softball Game. It got grating—and massively inconvenient. Like yesterday before the game, when they held a red-carpet parade with players through the city's ritziest shopping district. The average fan elsewhere in the country experienced the march of cars on carpet as a few seconds of cute video. Here, the parade was also a massive, traffic-snarling, afternoon-ruining lump in the middle of town about twice the size of a Presidential motorcade.
I hate when everyone has a good time!
He also doesn't know his U.S. presidential history very well.

The many 100-loss seasons are one indicator of team's decline, as is not making the playoffs since George Bush was in office.
He is right about the "Going to Kansas City" song. Your already here. It's like being in Kansas and and saying it's the Land of Oz, Oz isn't Kansas Jackass, thus the saying "Now I know were not in Kansas." (Which is the correct line from the movie).
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

shinatoo wrote: He is right about the "Going to Kansas City" song. Your already here. It's like being in Kansas and and saying it's the Land of Oz, Oz isn't Kansas Jackass, thus the saying "Now I know were not in Kansas." (Which is the correct line from the movie).
It's music. It's iconic. It's about the city. It's not a narrative on your life. The band is not talking to you. You, Hampton Stevens and Charles Manson seem to be the only ones that can't figure that out that.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCPowercat wrote:Typical of this city that only its local citizens who write for a "national" website would be three only one to put it down..... And then have the balls to call everybody else insecure.

Is this a thing now, national publications finding local writers to bitch about a city? Indy went through the same thing after the Super Bowl. I feel like the only people who disliked the ASG this much were local writers doing pieces for national publications.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I read those two stories a day or so apart as well and just scratched my head. :?:
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

From the "low ratings" article...

"Still, the total audience that watched any portion of the game was 27.7 million, up 7 percent from last year, and the rating at the start of the game was 6.5/12, up 7 percent from last season and the best for the All-Star Game since 2009."

Think the blowout score in the first may have diminished interest for the long haul. Hell, I was at the game and only watched a few plays after the 4th inning.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

A KC-native national sportswriter who actually remembers KC with fondness.

Rob Neyer: The Many Pleasures Of Kansas City