Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Press about the ASG & Kansas City ASG visits

Post by AllThingsKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote:This is why I'm glad that I don't have cable and ESPN. I heard the derby coverage was horrible, they didn't even even show a lot of the hitters when they were up and focused on interviewing players. Seems like ESPN in general is just trying to be like a Hollywood style show rather then focus on sports. Bermann needs to be fired from ESPN, guy hasnt been good in about 15 years.
For somebody who didn't watch the Home Run Derby, you nailed it. You're spot on. I wish I hadn't watched it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote:This is why I'm glad that I don't have cable and ESPN. I heard the derby coverage was horrible, they didn't even even show a lot of the hitters when they were up and focused on interviewing players. Seems like ESPN in general is just trying to be like a Hollywood style show rather then focus on sports. Bermann needs to be fired from ESPN, guy hasnt been good in about 15 years.
They seemed clueless as to why the fans were booing Cano too. Too bad there is no profession where sports people investigate things and report on news.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: They seemed clueless as to why the fans were booing Cano too. Too bad there is no profession where sports people investigate things and report on news.
For several minutes after that, they talked about how classless it was to boo Cano and how people in the Heartland shouldn't do that. "It's supposed to be positive and fun for the players. It's a shame the fans don't see it that way."

Absolutely clueless.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Funny you mention that, it sounds like Berman screwed up his geography multiple times (supposedly Brett corrected him on one count).

I stopped supporting MLB back in 2002 (couldn't stomach the economics), but I went to watch the derby at a friend's place because I'm dying to see how Kansas City is showcased throughout this event. Turns out there's a minor storm brewing because the AL captain went back on his word to pick Billy Butler for the AL derby team if he was selected for the ASG -- which he eventually was. A good portion of fans decided to make their displeasure known by booing him at each plate appearance. Funny thing is that he didn't end up hitting a single home run.

Not sure if this is really going to have any lasting affect on peoples' perception of Kansas City, but, based on the comments beneath the article, it seems to be mostly Yankee fans that are crying foul over the "classlessness" of KC fans.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/09/36 ... -team.html
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The NYT's Yankee beat writer, Tyler Kepner, tweeted that he understood exactly why Cano was being booed, and that he didn't have any problem with it. FWIW. If this happened in NY, Philly, Boston, or even Chicago, this wouldn't be a story.

For me, the highlight of the night was George Brett correcting Chris Berman's predictable, geography-challenged "jokes" about hitting a baseball to Omaha:

Chris Berman: "That one's hit to Omaha!"
George Brett: "That's the wrong direction"
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Cano jeering is on ESPN next to headline of Fielder winning the thing.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Visitor likes and dislikes:
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/09/36 ... s-and.html

The only surprising one was the bike share, but it sounds like people are more confused about how the system works.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This column is ridiculous. The booing might hurt us with free agents! Because we supported our own player, and I guess players hate that!

Morosi: Fans go too far with Cano reaction

A Boston radio station has been playing the booing all morning. They loved it.

A's pitcher Brandon McCarthy:
The KC fans booing Cano is now one of my favorite AS memories. I love fan passion. Would love to see more stuff like that, not less.
"Who Knew Kansas City Was In Missouri?" And Other Tweets From The HR Derby
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCMax wrote: They seemed clueless as to why the fans were booing Cano too. Too bad there is no profession where sports people investigate things and report on news.
For several minutes after that, they talked about how classless it was to boo Cano and how people in the Heartland shouldn't do that. "It's supposed to be positive and fun for the players. It's a shame the fans don't see it that way."

Absolutely clueless.
Lots of clueless bandwagon Yankee fans also didn't understand why the booing kept happening. If Cano would have hit a couple HR's the booing would have probably stopped. As for the no class thing, i think ESPN just trys to stir stuff up and make a story out of nothing, this probably explains the nonstop coverage before the NFL Draft and NFL Training Camp
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC fans should riot, flip over cars, break into buildings, steal stuff, damage everything, and blow from stuff up. Hey, it's classier than booing, apparently.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

[quote="chaglang"]The NYT's Yankee beat writer, Tyler Kepner, tweeted that he understood exactly why Cano was being booed, and that he didn't have any problem with it. FWIW. If this happened in NY, Philly, Boston, or even Chicago, this wouldn't be a story.

I bet most in sports media from around the country feel Kansas City has lost the right years ago to boo anyone in a Yankee uniform.... We're not worthy!!! We're not worthy!!!!!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I think it's far more classless that they booed Bill Self and Matt Cassel in the softball game.

Booing Cano is justified. Booing 2 local sports guys was embarrassing.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:
For me, the highlight of the night was George Brett correcting Chris Berman's predictable, geography-challenged "jokes" about hitting a baseball to Omaha:

Chris Berman: "That one's hit to Omaha!"
George Brett: "That's the wrong direction"
In Berman's defense, Brett also incorrectly said the K faced STL. K faces Northeast, so they were really hitting the ball toward Chicago. FWIW.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

True, although the balls in question were going more east-northeast, out the right field goalpost toward I-70. Brett was wrong, but, uh, less wrong? Heh.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcmetro wrote:I think it's far more classless that they booed Bill Self and Matt Cassel in the softball game.

Booing Cano is justified. Booing 2 local sports guys was embarrassing.
I thought the booing of Self was hilarious. I thought the booing of Cassel was off base, but he is a sports star. That is what happens when you make millions to please a crowd.

What I've never understood is why you would boo your own player when he isn't even really that bad? If he is Yuni batting .200, or Elliott missing field goals, or Albie Lopez throwing bomb after bomb, then I completely get it. But our home team's QB... who was in the Pro Bowl a few years back?... I don't get that... but again, it's not really a huge deal. The only truly "classless" thing we do is say "home of the Chiefs" during the anthem. That is completely classless outside the confines of Arrowhead.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

And speaking of the booing...I love how people act like this is the first time it's ever happened, and booing is so classless and horrible. Who cares, man up. Booing happens. It happened last year too under the same circumstances as Cano's.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/20 ... -offseason
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Last night was fun and cano took it well.... Please no booing tonight. We made our point
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

He took it so well that he couldn't even hit a single home run.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

bobbyhawks wrote: What I've never understood is why you would boo your own player when he isn't even really that bad? But our home team's QB... who was in the Pro Bowl a few years back?... I don't get that...
You're right, you don't get it.

I can count over 62 Million reasons to boo him, and that's just the beginning.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean wrote:He took it so well that he couldn't even hit a single home run.
+1