Mizzou News

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Mizzou Rebranding

Post by KC-wildcat »

From Tiger Board... Being excited is one thing. "taking its rightful place as a major football university" is quite another. quite insane, frankly. Club seats don't win championships - they just make the winning sweeter and the losing easier to handle.

So damn proud to be a Mizzou fan....

Many of us longtime fans (I am 27 year season ticket holder; have gone to Mizzou games for 40+ years; sat on the hill in 1980 vs. Penn St. ) have waited a long time for Mizzou to take its rightful place again as a major football university and joining the best damn conference in the country!! During the dark days of the 13 years of losing records and last of Larry Smith years, it was hard to keep the faith....See this video from the KU game in 1986 (I was there that game that game, 1 of 3 wins that year) and how bad things were getting-nobody in the stands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGFVV1X ... re=related

But now Mizzou is headed to the SEC (still have a hard time believing it!), great facilities on the way and a whole new generation of Mizzou fans who expect great football...I am kinda teary eyed...MIZ-ZOU MIZ-SEC!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I continue to find it amazing how MU fans prop up their affiliation with the SEC as some crowning achievement and validation that they are a football "power." If MU fans have learned nothing over the years, it is that the reason they often look silly to outsiders is their overexuberance prior to actually accomplishing anything. If MU was acting this way after placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the SEC in football, then I could understand, but they have played zero games as an SEC member in all sports.

There would be no greater statement than to go into the SEC with a bit of humility and to shock everyone after lesser expectations, but now it sounds like MU will look bad if they do anything other than compete for the division title right away. Might want to throw a heat check out there before you draw too much attention to yourselves.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The bill is already coming due for Missouri’s move to the SEC
In the 2010-11 fiscal year, five SEC teams spent more than $90 million each on athletics, and four spent more than $80 million. Compare that to the Big 12, where Texas and Oklahoma were the only schools to spend more than $90 million and only three others — Nebraska, Kansas and Texas A&M — spent more than $70 million.

So it’s clear to Alden that Missouri — which operated under a $64 million budget in 2010-11 — must bridge that gap to be competitive in the SEC. He estimates that Missouri’s current operating budget ranks 11th out of 14 SEC teams, and that, he said, isn’t good enough.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:Umm, what are they doing with the extra money they're making from the SEC's TV deals?
From the article:
With its first SEC check not set to come until next summer, that revenue shortfall means the MU athletic department won’t be able to pay all of its $65 million in expenses.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:
pash wrote:Umm, what are they doing with the extra money they're making from the SEC's TV deals?
From the article:
With its first SEC check not set to come until next summer, that revenue shortfall means the MU athletic department won’t be able to pay all of its $65 million in expenses.
Good thing they don't have a balanced budget amendment. &
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Gary Pinkel, on Joe Paterno:
Joe Paterno’s a friend that I got to know professionally, and you can’t take away the greatness of this man. He was a great man. However you analyze this, you can’t erase all that this guy’s done. You can’t do that. Nobody can do that. I think when you come out of such a tragic situation, certainly involving children and the magnitude of this in our country from a media standpoint, I anticipated really what happened. I anticipated that they would do this. You’re not going to sit back there and say, 'Well, just things happen.’ You’re not going to do that. They’re going to be firing, and people, they’re going to make statements and they’re going to point fingers, and that’s what I anticipated a little bit. But he was a great man, a good man. I’m sure he would, maybe if he” could “do it over again he would have followed up a few things. But don’t take away all this guy did, and to sit there and blame him for all this, I think is wrong.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sounds like they will fit well in the south. Defend the ole ball coach at all times.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote:Gary Pinkel, on Joe Paterno:
Joe Paterno’s a friend that I got to know professionally, and you can’t take away the greatness of this man. He was a great man. However you analyze this, you can’t erase all that this guy’s done. You can’t do that. Nobody can do that. I think when you come out of such a tragic situation, certainly involving children and the magnitude of this in our country from a media standpoint, I anticipated really what happened. I anticipated that they would do this. You’re not going to sit back there and say, 'Well, just things happen.’ You’re not going to do that. They’re going to be firing, and people, they’re going to make statements and they’re going to point fingers, and that’s what I anticipated a little bit. But he was a great man, a good man. I’m sure he would, maybe if he” could “do it over again he would have followed up a few things. But don’t take away all this guy did, and to sit there and blame him for all this, I think is wrong.
This is when it's important to remember that what Gary Pinkel thinks and says doesn't matter, because he's just a fucking football coach.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

chingon wrote:
KCMax wrote:Gary Pinkel, on Joe Paterno:
This is when it's important to remember that what Gary Pinkel thinks and says doesn't matter, because he's just a fucking football coach.
Commenting on another football coach.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Oh goody, now politicians can sound off!

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/college/arti ... terno-Gary Pinkel defends Joe Paterno, draws ire of State Rep. Sara Lampe
Lampe is running for the Democratic nomination for lieutenant governor. Her complete statement follows below:...

"Coach Pinkel's defense of the indefensible indicates that he holds the same attitude that allowed the reprehensible situation at Penn State to occur; the attitude that building a successful football program is more important than everything else, including protecting innocent children from rapists."
That should win her some votes from KU fans in Missouri.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Pinkel obviously should have deflected the question.

But changing the subject, Paterno did not do anything that countless Catholic Bishops have not also done repeatedly. The current Pope was a big part of the non-reporting of suspected child rapes to the police.

Is it now an outrage to call the Pope or the bishops who participated in the cover ups great men?

Or are they still to powerful to get the Paterno treatment?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm not sure what all of this has to do with "Mizzou Rebranding," but Pinkel could have used wiser judgement in something like that at a time like this.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Not related to Mizzou rebranding, but Sara Lampe gets absolutely owned by St. Louis sports talk show host because of her comments about Pinkel...

http://chirb.it/LJ2cyt
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou looks to expand stadium 1 year sooner
The Columbia Daily Tribune reports that athletic officials are mulling whether to add the extra bleacher seats on the stadium’s east side by 2014. A $72 million debt-financing plan approved by Missouri curators in June outlined a 2015 completion date.

Plans also call for 1,000 premium seats to be added to the stadium’s west side in time for the 2013 football season.
Linkin5
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Linkin5 »

AllThingsKC wrote:Not related to Mizzou rebranding, but Sara Lampe gets absolutely owned by St. Louis sports talk show host because of her comments about Pinkel...

http://chirb.it/LJ2cyt
There is something seriously wrong with Kevin Slaten, this is the 3rd guest I have heard him scream at.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

New basketball court is being installed...

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

bobbyhawks wrote:I continue to find it amazing how MU fans prop up their affiliation with the SEC as some crowning achievement and validation that they are a football "power." If MU fans have learned nothing over the years, it is that the reason they often look silly to outsiders is their overexuberance prior to actually accomplishing anything. If MU was acting this way after placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the SEC in football, then I could understand, but they have played zero games as an SEC member in all sports.
???
bobbyhawks wrote:There would be no greater statement than to go into the SEC with a bit of humility and to shock everyone after lesser expectations, but now it sounds like MU will look bad if they do anything other than compete for the division title right away. Might want to throw a heat check out there before you draw too much attention to yourselves.
This is where I'm at with the whole thing.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou announces it has sold a record 45,000 season tix.

http://www.heartlandconnection.com/spor ... CF_cU1lRoE
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mike Alden discusses the stadium renovations for 2013 and 2014:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... kV5EaJCa10#!