GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AllThingsKC »

Jeremy Maclin signs with Chiefs.

Chase Daniel and Jeremy Maclin on the same team? Welcome back, year 2007!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rodney Hudson to the Raiders. So I guess its OL in the first round of the draft.

Chiefs are reportedly pursuing CB Darrelle Revis too.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Word is that Bowe is gone.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

That would be too bad. Maclin and a bunch of unknowns is only marginally better than Bowe and a bunch of unknowns. We need two receivers.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

grovester wrote:That would be too bad. Maclin and a bunch of unknowns is only marginally better than Bowe and a bunch of unknowns. We need two receivers.
I would assume they'll draft one pretty early.

Lots of crazy trades today. Sam Bradford swapped for Nick Foles. Jimmy Graham to the Seahawks. Hatoli Ngata to the Lions.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I saw this retro logo for the first time, i don't understand why they don't use this more or revamp it so its not as offensive. I really like this logo and would actually buy Chiefs gear if they made this shirt or a similar version.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Not as offensive????? From a Native American standpoint the entire premise of that logo is offensive.

To make it non-offensive version it would look more like Jim Thorpe instead of that Indian drawing.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just like the 6 states, kind of shows just how much of a fanbase the Chiefs have in the Midwest and its still relevant today, I guess you could argue that Ok and Ark are Cowboys country. Their coverage is about as big as the St Louis Cardinals
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The six states with just the chiefs KC on it (no arrowhead, I assume) or just CHIEFS might be cool. I'd photoshop a mockup, but I'm way too lazy for that.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I just like the 6 states, kind of shows just how much of a fanbase the Chiefs have in the Midwest and its still relevant today, I guess you could argue that Ok and Ark are Cowboys country. Their coverage is about as big as the St Louis Cardinals
Based on my experience, Oklahoma and Arkansas are way more into the Cowboys than the Chiefs. I lived in Des Moines for three years in the early 90's and there was WAY more Vikings and Bears coverage/fans than Chiefs. We can honestly claim KS, most of Nebraska (like they care about the NFL) and Western Missouri. Outside of that, I think the notion of the Chiefs as a regional team is a bit overstated.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

WSPanic wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I just like the 6 states, kind of shows just how much of a fanbase the Chiefs have in the Midwest and its still relevant today, I guess you could argue that Ok and Ark are Cowboys country. Their coverage is about as big as the St Louis Cardinals
Based on my experience, Oklahoma and Arkansas are way more into the Cowboys than the Chiefs. I lived in Des Moines for three years in the early 90's and there was WAY more Vikings and Bears coverage/fans than Chiefs. We can honestly claim KS, most of Nebraska (like they care about the NFL) and Western Missouri. Outside of that, I think the notion of the Chiefs as a regional team is a bit overstated.
Besides the Vikings and Bears it seems Iowa has a Green Bay following also. And western Kansas has quite a few Bronco fans.

And given the interest by parents in some fall soccer programs in the Des Moines area quite a few couldn't care less about Sunday NFL, it is Iowa and Iowa State football that draws their interest.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

flyingember wrote:Not as offensive????? From a Native American standpoint the entire premise of that logo is offensive.

To make it non-offensive version it would look more like Jim Thorpe instead of that Indian drawing.
I'm offended by the idea of having a Jim Thorpe based logo. It's a two way street.

But, just to entertain the thought...what exactly is offensive about having a Chief running in a logo?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

As long as it's not a ridiculous caricature of a native american...
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

flyingember wrote:Not as offensive????? From a Native American standpoint the entire premise of that logo is offensive.

In what way would a native American find the traditional Chiefs logo offensive? I wouldn't know. I'm not a native American. Any specific info would be appreciated.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

StL_Dan wrote:

In what way would a native American find the traditional Chiefs logo offensive? I wouldn't know. I'm not a native American. Any specific info would be appreciated.
just a loin cloth is a stereotype of savagery. a lack of clothing is often used to show a character as being a savage across the world
the tomahawk, combined with the chop, is a sign of violence. very stereotype that Indians only scalp their victims
the war bonnet is supposed to be a symbol of respect but combined with this it says that the most respected of a tribe is still a savage who only knows attacking people

instead you mimic a football outfit with more respectful pieces of clothing and focus on sport, not attacking

go with a stance like this image
https://www.flobeds.com/inav/reviews/da ... stance.jpg
give the character some leather leggings, maybe some sort of bone breastplate, add the chiefs logo in paint to the characters bicepts.
create a special football helmet with the face guard and feathers off of it. something that's using the style but is clearly a football helmet
and give them just a football. no tomahawk

the idea is to take a football player and give them a native American feel rather than give a football to a stereotyped native american
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

flyingember wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:

just a loin cloth is a stereotype of savagery. a lack of clothing is often used to show a character as being a savage across the world
the tomahawk, combined with the chop, is a sign of violence. very stereotype that Indians only scalp their victims
the war bonnet is supposed to be a symbol of respect but combined with this it says that the most respected of a tribe is still a savage who only knows attacking people

instead you mimic a football outfit with more respectful pieces of clothing and focus on sport, not attacking

go with a stance like this image
https://www.flobeds.com/inav/reviews/da ... stance.jpg
give the character some leather leggings, maybe some sort of bone breastplate, add the chiefs logo in paint to the characters bicepts.
create a special football helmet with the face guard and feathers off of it. something that's using the style but is clearly a football helmet
and give them just a football. no tomahawk

the idea is to take a football player and give them a native American feel rather than give a football to a stereotyped native american
I like it.

Question: do native Americans view the Redskins' logo and name as being offensive? If so, why?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The Daily Show actually did a good piece on the Redskins subject.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/w ... s-20140926
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

flyingember wrote:The Daily Show actually did a good piece on the Redskins subject.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/w ... s-20140926
Interesting piece. First hand comments from, what would appear to be native Americans, definitely build a strong case in favor of a decision to re-name/re-brand the Redskins franchise.

I'm left wondering if there is anything financial at stake for native Americans from the US government in the wake of potential name/mascot changes?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

With the Chiefs, at least the term is used in names like Chief Executive Officer or Chief of Police.

The imagery can go more respectful but the name isn't nearly as negative.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Just rename the fucking team. There could not be a simpler and less painless solution, regardless of whether or not one feels there is in fact a problem with naming entertainments after decimated races of human beings.

PS - and please, please, please just make it the "Kansas City Chefs".