GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by grovester »

chingon wrote:Just rename the fucking team. There could not be a simpler and less painless solution, regardless of whether or not one feels there is in fact a problem with naming entertainments after decimated races of human beings.

PS - and please, please, please just make it the "Kansas City Chefs".
Our newest member would probably be pissed. http://kcrag.com/memberlist.php?mode=vi ... e&u=133349
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

pash wrote:
chingon wrote:PS - and please, please, please just make it the "Kansas City Chefs".
"Chefs" is just "Chiefs" in French, so that doesn't change much. I suppose we could go with the "Kansas City Chefs de Cuisine" just to make completely clear that we're not still talking about Indians—and worse, behind their backs in French.

But that's problematic, because you simply can't have more than one chef in the same kitchen: we'd either have to go singular (the "Kansas City Chef de Cuisine", à la the Stanford Cardinal) or we'd need to take pains to clarify (the "Kansas City Chefs de Cuisine, Chaque Chef à Sa Cuisine, Naturallement").

But wouldn't we just be trading the objectification of aboriginal peoples for the objectification of underpaid food-service workers (albeit those at the top of the totem pole, if you'll excuse the metaphor)? Why risk angering the hands at the end of the well tattooed forearms that feed us? Better to avoid identifying the team with any group of people whatsoever. And with animals gaining rights (both moral and legal) by the day, we'd do well to avoid them, too.

Abstract nouns seem relatively safe (as nouns go). The team's name should allude to the local culture while evoking a family-friendly scintilla of fear in opposing fans. Perhaps the "Kansas City Radar-Indicated Rotation" would work? Or the "Kansas City High Cholesterol and Elevated Risk of Gastrointestinal Cancer Due to Frequent Consumption of Assorted Smoked Meats"?

This really is not as easy as it seems, is it? ...
Uuuuuummmmm...Best Post Ever? I'm thinking yes.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

agree
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

chingon wrote:agree
Ditto.

Team's should only be known by the city in which they play. No more mascots. That way, no person, no animal or anything else will feel embarrassed by undo attention or caricature.

The only source of potential embarrassment would be derived from the team sucking or less than flattering PR (substance abuse, murder, etc - basic NFL player transgressions).
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

"Kansas City" is a ripoff of Native American culture. Same with Chicago, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Minnesota, Miami, Seattle, and Tampa Bay. Anyone who wants to completely eliminate Native American references from sports quickly runs into a problem. American society has appropriated a lot of things from native cultures. Heck, Seattle is named for an actual Indian Chief. The Cleveland Indians mascot, I think we can all agree is pretty racist. The Redskins as a term is mostly understood to be pretty racist. A blonde white girl on a horse called Warpaint, I think most would agree is in bad taste. The name "Chiefs" is just a commonly appropriated term in American society. It isn't a bad thing or demeaning anymore than a team named the Senators, Kings, Sultans, Rangers, etc. Where all of these teams have failed, though, is that they have done so little to actually connect and legitimately celebrate Native American cultures for so many years, they have allowed the sports culture to morph into something that is completely ignorant of this past. The teams continue to throw money at the problem, but they still refuse to use the platform they have to actually promote and inform the public regarding the history and tragedy of America's native peoples.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

The word "Indian" is racist? "Seahawk" was a Indian guys' name?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Change name to Kansas City Steaks. And the female cheerleaders Kansas City Strips.

"With the Chiefs, at least the term is used in names like Chief Executive Officer"
Instead of football uniforms the players could wear business suits for games and during warmups sport coats and dress slacks.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

New York would just take that name (again).

Perhaps the Kansas City Beefs
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

That's offensive to cattle.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Can't believe this board has been so quiet on this great season by the hometown team. If this was the Royals you would be calling for the heads of Glass and Yost.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yep, tough schedule, tough injuries. Hope they show some life the rest of the season. Management gets a pass at this point.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2013 CHIEFS!

Post by im2kull »

im2kull wrote:It's like Matt Cassel all over again! Deja-vu!
mean wrote:Matt Cassel's career: 82 TD to 57 INT for 13,495 yards and 80.4 QB rating.

Alex Smith's career: 81 TD to 63 INT for 14,280 yards and 79.1 QB rating.

As I've stated before, we appear to be getting almost exactly the same guy we just booed at the all-star game.
It's not like this whole "Alex Smith sucks" thing is rocket science. We saw it from a mile away. Ditch him already. 10 years in the league and he's never once had a truly impressive season, or come close. Enough is enough. Most guys are beyond lucky to get 3 seasons to show their stuff!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'd rather have been wrong. The real question at this point is do you let Reid/Dorsey draft a guy, or clean house and start over? They don't have a great draft record.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Living in Texan/Cowboy country, it's bizarre that the only time I can see KC on TV other than the rare games against the local teams is when they play in London!
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

winners of 5 in a row and currently sitting in a playoff position. next up is away to oakland. i expected more conversation in here about the chiefs.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm excited for another first round playoff loss!!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I gotta say, I thought they were toast after the first quarter this week. Like someone flipped a switch.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Have our "never say die" Royals become our "never say die" Chiefs?

In any event, Chiefs haven't lost since the Royals made the World Series.
KC is the way to be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Much like the Royals, they need to actually win a playoff game to validate any of what is happening on the field.

Regardless, it has been much more entertaining this year than I thought it would after a 1-5 start. Hope they can keep it up.