2012 - 2013 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 2012 - 2013 College Basketball Season

Post by grovester »

chaglang wrote:
KCMax wrote:So, the K-State game. Are we going to talk about it? I think we need to talk about it. WTF.
Or the Mizzou game? Although, judging from the reaction of my Mizzou friends that game went exactly the way they thought it would. 2 boards out of Orhiaki is still pretty surprising.
Yeah, being outrebounded by such a huge margin was pretty shocking.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang wrote:
KCMax wrote:So, the K-State game. Are we going to talk about it? I think we need to talk about it. WTF.
Or the Mizzou game? Although, judging from the reaction of my Mizzou friends that game went exactly the way they thought it would. 2 boards out of Orhiaki is still pretty surprising.
What did he end his career with? Sixteen consecutive field goals made or something like that? But Paul Pressey was NOT. GOING. TO. PASS.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That was only inside the last 90 seconds or so, when the game was basically over. And he did hit a couple of big shots down the stretch. Overally he didn't play too differently than any other time I've watched them. But they kept committing dumb fouls inside and bailing CSt out of situations where the shot clock was running out or the ball had been rotated into a dead end. They were fouling themselves out of stops. And just not bothering to rebound. Or finding a way to slow down Iverson. To my limited basketball mind, those all seem like they could have been caused by guys being out of position, but I'm not sure.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Fun fact of the day: Bill Self is 15-3 in the first tournament game of the weekend while at Kansas. I'm not sure if there is any significance to that number other than he has won a lot of first round games, but two of those losses were his early tenure exits to Bradley and Bucknell in game #1 of the tourney. 7 of the 15 wins were beyond the 2nd round. He is 10-5 in the second game of the weekend. Smallish sample size, but that is an 83.33% winning pct. vs. 66.67%. Granted, the second game of the week is mostly a tougher matchup, but Self has just lost the two killer B games and to Tom Izzo in opening weekend tournament matchups. Should KU survive Michigan, Billy Donovan will be a tough coach to draw considering his past tournament prowess.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ben Howland fired at UCLA

And the coach that beat him in the first round of the tourney - Tubby Smith at Minnesota - also fired.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

bobbyhawks wrote:Fun fact of the day: Bill Self is 15-3 in the first tournament game of the weekend while at Kansas. I'm not sure if there is any significance to that number other than he has won a lot of first round games, but two of those losses were his early tenure exits to Bradley and Bucknell in game #1 of the tourney. 7 of the 15 wins were beyond the 2nd round. He is 10-5 in the second game of the weekend. Smallish sample size, but that is an 83.33% winning pct. vs. 66.67%. Granted, the second game of the week is mostly a tougher matchup, but Self has just lost the two killer B games and to Tom Izzo in opening weekend tournament matchups. Should KU survive Michigan, Billy Donovan will be a tough coach to draw considering his past tournament prowess.
He can't be 15-3 in the first game. He's only been at Kansas 10 years. 15-3 in the first weekend, maybe?

Edit: Or 15-3 in the first game of ANY weekend? Ahhhh. Gotcha.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chaglang wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Fun fact of the day: Bill Self is 15-3 in the first tournament game of the weekend while at Kansas. I'm not sure if there is any significance to that number other than he has won a lot of first round games, but two of those losses were his early tenure exits to Bradley and Bucknell in game #1 of the tourney. 7 of the 15 wins were beyond the 2nd round. He is 10-5 in the second game of the weekend. Smallish sample size, but that is an 83.33% winning pct. vs. 66.67%. Granted, the second game of the week is mostly a tougher matchup, but Self has just lost the two killer B games and to Tom Izzo in opening weekend tournament matchups. Should KU survive Michigan, Billy Donovan will be a tough coach to draw considering his past tournament prowess.
He can't be 15-3 in the first game. He's only been at Kansas 10 years. 15-3 in the first weekend, maybe?

Edit: Or 15-3 in the first game of ANY weekend? Ahhhh. Gotcha.

Yep. Sorry, but I should have been more clear. 2 of those 15 wins are Final Four victories. I was researching how he performs in the games where he has a full week to prepare vs. the games in which he only has a day and a half.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Interesting. I remember that the storyline leading up to that Davidson game was that he couldn't get past the Elite 8, which is a Sat/Sun game. He's actually worse since then:
2009-don't remember.
2010-UNI (2nd, R32)
2011-VCU (2nd, R8)
2012-UK (2nd, FF)

To be fair, that Kentucky game is only the 2nd in the last 30 years that I honestly didn't think they were good enough to win.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The K-State game was a fun (2nd half) game....glad to see La Salle move past that Ole Miss twerp
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Ha. We aren't serving crow until it's in season - should be available after the first week of the tourney.

KU probably won't be a 1 seed after yestarday and Gonzaga almost surely will but lets see who survives the first week.
Better get it quick. After the nation-wide, season-long Gonzaga blowjob, there might not be left overs. In fact, you can have my serving, because I ordered too much.
If WSU gets past tOSU, it puts the Gonzaga loss in a little different perspective. Indiana was ranked #1 much of the year and got beat by Syracuse in a down year for the Orangemen.

The tournament is all about match-ups, not necassarily who is the best team over the course of a long season or even a tournament. Florida now has a very good chance of going to the final four and so does Marquette; neither are particularly impressive teams. KU's had some very favorable match-ups so far on what was essentially their home court....I am not sure they fair any better than Gonzaga if the situation placed them far from home against WSU.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Speaking of Indiana, watching Tom Crean attack the Syracuse zone with two bigs who weren't quick enough with the ball, an athletic wing who was forced outside of his shooting range, and two guards who didn't penetrate much reminded me of about 8 different KU tournament games in the 90's.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tubby Smith to Texas Tech. :shock:
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:Tubby Smith to Texas Tech. :shock:
His career as a head coach is a perfect bell curve of quality programs.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rio Adams to transfer from KU

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/02/41 ... ms-to.html

Michael Orris to transfer from KSU

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/01/41 ... eaves.html

Dominque Bull and Negus Webster-Chan to transfer from Mizzou

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/story/w ... eedID=8745
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I know many Mizzou fans are worried about all the transfers from Mizzou.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:I know many Mizzou fans are worried about all the transfers from Mizzou.
#Haith
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Haith seems to recruit well, but his coaching is questionable at times. If his "questionable coaching" continues, he will have a harder time getting decent recruits. I think some Mizzou fans are worried that's what we're starting to see happen now with these transfers.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I wouldn't worry about it. Freshman transfer all the time, especially if it looks like they might stay buried on the bench. It takes a unique personality to play a limited role on a team for a few years when he could go elsewhere and get more minutes right away.

Speaking of unique personalities, I saw Wally Judge mentioned in some of the Mike Rice articles. Playing for Frank Martin and Rice should get you some kind of medal from the NCAA. And some free PTSD treatments.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Haith seems to recruit well, but his coaching is questionable at times. If his "questionable coaching" continues, he will have a harder time getting decent recruits. I think some Mizzou fans are worried that's what we're starting to see happen now with these transfers.
Losing Bull and Negus Webster-Chan is hardly going to put the basketball program in a tailspin; and fans are probably not all that concerned. I'm not. I suspect Bull got a bit of a shove out the door while Haith was reluctant but not too depressed about Webster-Chan. The latter was a decent player but Mizzou has several better ranked players coming in so it's a bit of a wash although NWC's experience (he was the freshman with the most minutes) could have helped out with the big turnover Mizzou will experience.

Far more of concern is the large number of decommittments Mizzou has had on the football side.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Haith seems to recruit well, but his coaching is questionable at times. If his "questionable coaching" continues, he will have a harder time getting decent recruits. I think some Mizzou fans are worried that's what we're starting to see happen now with these transfers.
Losing Bull and Negus Webster-Chan is hardly going to put the basketball program in a tailspin; and fans are probably not all that concerned. I'm not. I suspect Bull got a bit of a shove out the door while Haith was reluctant but not too depressed about Webster-Chan. The latter was a decent player but Mizzou has several better ranked players coming in so it's a bit of a wash although NWC's experience (he was the freshman with the most minutes) could have helped out with the big turnover Mizzou will experience.

Far more of concern is the large number of decommittments Mizzou has had on the football side.