Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Postby beautyfromashes » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:02 am

Sporting KC just had their 100th sellout game. Does this begin to show signs that they need a larger stadium similar in size to those in smaller European cities? Would they consider a DT stadium and when is their lease up at Sportibg Park?

shinatoo
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby shinatoo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 am

I would have to guess their next stadium would be a joint venture between them and the Chiefs.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

KCtoBrooklyn
New York Life
New York Life

Postby KCtoBrooklyn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 pm

There has been talk of expanding the current stadium with a potential of adding 8k seats. There was a threshold that was cited for the season ticket wait list that the owners thought would justify building the expansion (maybe 10k on the waitlist). It sounds like the waitlist has actually been diminishing, so I don't think we will see expansion any time soon. I don't think it is really necessary. Yes, the games sell out, but it is usually not hard to get a ticket. I'm not sure they would consistently sell out a larger stadium at this point.

There was a response that Robb Heineman gave once that indicated they would consider a downtown stadium once there lease is up - but that is still a pretty long time away (and maybe he was just dismissing the question and I interpreted it optimistically).

If attendance in the NFL continues to drop and MLS continues to rise, I could possibly see them doing a joint venture with the Chiefs in 20 years - maybe a 40k-50k seat venue (or they could do a larger venue with a smaller configuration for soccer). A stadium with a retractable roof that could also be used for events like a Final Four, a bowl game, conventions, etc, could be a good asset for downtown. Although and artificial surface is not great for soccer.

Return to “Kansas City Sports”