Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by beautyfromashes »

Has it ever been announced how much Lamar Hunt sold the Wizards for? I'm sure that was a bargain for the SKC owners.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote:Has it ever been announced how much Lamar Hunt sold the Wizards for? I'm sure that was a bargain for the SKC owners.
This report guesses it was $30 million.

http://petegrathoff.wordpress.com/2008/ ... est-score/

Forbes estimates they are worth over $100 million now.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... value.html

Some of that is the MLS is more valuable and popular than ever. But a lot is getting a new stadium, putting out an awesome product, and managing a terrific organization.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^ Oh, brother!!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No shit! Where to start with that turd of an article? Why are they quoting "urban designers", wtf is the "risk" in building in a greenfield subsidized by the state?

I felt obligated to contact them. I'll share their response. "CityLab"?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

grovester wrote:No shit! Where to start with that turd of an article? Why are they quoting "urban designers", wtf is the "risk" in building in a greenfield subsidized by the state?

I felt obligated to contact them. I'll share their response. "CityLab"?
I will quibble with you, it was a big risk IMO. The whole thing could have failed and the state and city would be laughingstocks. I remember a lot of people thinking it wouldn't work, that KCK was too ghetto, that it was too far away from JoCo and Overland Parkers would never drive out to WyCo. It could have been a huge boondoggle. To their credit it, wasn't.

Now, it took state subsidies and shady accounting and questionable uses of public funds to get it done, and its a greenfield development when they should have focused on downtown KCK. But I will give credit where credit is due.
“They saw the power of joining forces and floating bonds and creating tax-free zones,” he says. “Kansas City, Kansas, was always the step-child to Kansas City, Missouri, but now it’s become the new kid on the block and is teaching the old man a few tricks.”
VOMIT.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yes perhaps a risk to the governments coffers and reputation, but not to developers. And as soon as the Speedway was announced this was a lock.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

You guys are funny. An article reflects favorably on the area and your reaction is to be bitter and po'ed.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Maybe I'm biased (ha), but I thought it was somewhat of a slam on KCMO, teaching the old dog new tricks, blah, blah, blah.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Agreed. It read like a marketing piece for STAR bonds and greenfield developments. There are big issues related to that development - the Border War, a languishing downtown KCK - that weren't examined. It could have been a hell of a lot better.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chaglang wrote:Agreed. It read like a marketing piece for STAR bonds and greenfield developments. There are big issues related to that development - the Border War, a languishing downtown KCK - that weren't examined. It could have been a hell of a lot better.
I'll give the guy a pass. He obviously isn't from KC. He was just trying to show the rest of the nation how KC is a soccer hotbed. If you or I wrote an article about another city, I imagine those residents would think we sounded clueless as well. I'm just happy someone outside the area is noticing our soccer culture here.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kcmetro wrote:
chaglang wrote:Agreed. It read like a marketing piece for STAR bonds and greenfield developments. There are big issues related to that development - the Border War, a languishing downtown KCK - that weren't examined. It could have been a hell of a lot better.
I'll give the guy a pass. He obviously isn't from KC. He was just trying to show the rest of the nation how KC is a soccer hotbed. If you or I wrote an article about another city, I imagine those residents would think we sounded clueless as well. I'm just happy someone outside the area is noticing our soccer culture here.
I'm happy to show the world that soccer is booming here, but in the context of the site he writes for (which is usually excellent), it's a pretty big miss.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SKC will send four to the MLS All-Star Game - Besler, Zusi, Collin, and Dwyer.

With injuries part of their All-Star past, Sporting KC nervously send quartet to Portland

The MLS All-Star Game is August 6 as the All-Stars take on FC Bayern in Portland, OR.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Not a bad showing by SKC.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

SKC went down to Nicaragua this week to play Real Esteli for Champions League. Just watched an interview with Vermes in Spanish- I had no idea he could speak Spanish. I've got to think that is really helpful for recruiting and just general communication for the Latin American players we have.
Last edited by kboish on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

pash wrote:The races for the conference title and for the Supporters' Shield are heading down to the wire. With two matches to play, if Sporting wins both they will win the Eastern Conference and (at worst) split the Supporters' Shield.

Saturday's match against second-place DC United is (just about) for all the marbles in the East. Tonight's match between Seattle and San Jose will likely play a big part in deciding who wins the Supporters' Shield: if Seattle wins, they're in prime position to take it, but if they lose or draw SKC has a good shot of winning at least a share.
Goes deeper than that. So many other results could play in. Even Dallas is suddenly in this, LA is also somewhat in play. So much left to play as well, October 26th seems so far away.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Just so that we have them to review (if necessary) in October, here's the standings tiebreaker order straight from the MLS Web site:

TEAM-STANDINGS TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
The team awarded the highest position in the MLS standings will be the team with the greatest number of points (three points for a win, one point for a tie, zero points for a loss). In the event that two teams finish the regular season with an equal number of points, the following system will be used to break the tie:

1. Total number of wins
2. Goal Differential (GD)
3. Goals For (GF)
4. Fewest Disciplinary Points
5. Road Goals Differential
6. Road Goal For
7. Home Goals Differential
8. Home Goal For
9. Coin Toss (2 clubs) or Drawing of Lots (3 or more)

When two or more teams are tied in the standings on points, the above tiebreakers will be used until one team ranks ahead of the other(s).